British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   money issues (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/money-issues-587487/)

terraincognita Feb 4th 2009 7:26 am

Re: money issues

everything you wrote is a valid and useful information for me, so thanks a lot!!! :thumbsup:

bijou1 Feb 14th 2009 3:04 pm

hi j5 i would be very grateful if you could advice me on how to get my money out of Goa.The developer says he cannot transfer it back into my bank account in the U.k. but will give it to me if I go to Goa. I don't have a bank account in
Goa it is around 30,000pounds the oringinal cash was sent directly from my bank to the developers bank

hi j5

Originally Posted by johnny five (Post 7243453)
I think you will find that under Indian financial laws, you are required to hold a valid visa whilst operating a bank account.

Strictly following the letter of the law you shonn.

Different banks have different attitudes to this situation, some ignore it, some are aware and rigorously enforce it, some deny the law exists, etc. Bear in mind, its in their interest (sic) to get hold of your money, like any bank. In theory, having a UK ICICI bank account doesn't alter any of the above.

The law involved is FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act) which is available on line if you search. The wording is in plain English and straight-forward.

With the Indian Authorities closing in on everything foreigners do here, especially the British, please be careful, we have heard of some "panicky" situations.

If you simply want to access your money while on holiday, a Nationwide Flex account allows you to draw from ICICI atms (and it would appear, some others) free of charge and at good exchange rates.

If you are trying to gain from the higher interest rates available here, then please accept that there are risks involved, not just with the "credit crunch", as Indian banks do not offer the guarantees given in the UK, but also the "illegality" of having a bank account without a valid visa.

J5

I posted this on HT yesterday as so many of the "happy-holidaymakers" were extolling the virtues of their Goan bank accounts. Thought it might be relevant to this thread as well. Quite happy to be told I am wrong, but please check first, before you do!

johnny five Feb 14th 2009 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by bijou1 (Post 7284923)
hi j5 i would be very grateful if you could advice me on how to get my money out of Goa.The developer says he cannot transfer it back into my bank account in the U.k. but will give it to me if I go to Goa. I don't have a bank account in
Goa it is around 30,000pounds the oringinal cash was sent directly from my bank to the developers bank

Good evening Bijou!

Oh dear, I have bin and gorn and given the impression I know about banking?
The extract was based on some info I found accidentally a few months back, which after a few discussions convinced me NOT to run a bank account in India.
I know many many others do, and good luck to them.

There are various ways, I think, most of them quasi-legal. Probably best to give it a few days and see if someone who knows what they are talking about gives a more definitive answer.

With the p*ss-poor exchange rate at present, this is very good for changing rupees into pounds (you need less rupees to buy one pound)

If you are not talking profit here, and I gather you are not, there should be few restrictions?
Regards
J5

hemingway Feb 14th 2009 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by bijou1 (Post 7284923)
hi j5 i would be very grateful if you could advice me on how to get my money out of Goa.The developer says he cannot transfer it back into my bank account in the U.k. but will give it to me if I go to Goa. I don't have a bank account inGoa it is around 30,000pounds the oringinal cash was sent directly from my bank to the developers bank

bijou1,

Your builder CAN return your money through normal banking channels - he would've had a Foreign Inward Rmittance Certificate when the money originally went into Goa - you should INSIST on having your money returned this way as you do not want to be in Goa with just over two million Rupees in cash :eek::eek::eek:

Best of luck

Hemingway

johnny five Feb 14th 2009 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by hemingway (Post 7284945)
bijou1,

Your builder CAN return your money through normal banking channels - he would've had a Foreign Inward Rmittance Certificate when the money originally went into Goa - you should INSIST on having your money returned this way as you do not want to be in Goa with just over two million Rupees in cash :eek::eek::eek:

Best of luck

Hemingway

That's what I thought. But was not sure.
How about trying to get your builder to accept this as the correct approach and then coming over to make sure it happens?
J5

Goacrazy56 Feb 14th 2009 3:33 pm

This as all been post earlier in this post. Sorry but this is getting boring each and every member on here as given advise
Please go back to the start of this thread:curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:
Now Im sounding like J5 or Douglas:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Return of Santan May 14th 2009 6:21 pm

Dear Aunt Noni,:wub:

I am filling my expenses claim and wonder can I claim for "my" second home in Goa ?
Although I have tried to comply with the law (?:rofl:) over there, I feel I am now getting Sh1t on over here as well :thumbdown:

Your help is appreciated

Robin.D.Votor M.P ( Fidlingham)

noni May 14th 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kan-conned (Post 7572441)
Dear Aunt Noni,:wub:

I am filling my expenses claim and wonder can I claim for "my" second home in Goa ?
Although I have tried to comply with the law (?:rofl:) over there, I feel I am now getting Sh1t on over here as well :thumbdown:

Your help is appreciated

Robin.D.Votor M.P ( Fidlingham)

Mr. Fidlingham, you claimed £800 per month for a non existant mortgage, us oap's only have £400 a month to live on. you try it mate.:banghead::curse: please can we have expenses to fly to Goa to save on heating and cheap food.:fingerscrossed:

hemingway May 15th 2009 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by noni (Post 7572791)
Mr. Fidlingham, you claimed £800 per month for a non existant mortgage, us oap's only have £400 a month to live on. you try it mate.:banghead::curse: please can we have expenses to fly to Goa to save on heating and cheap food.:fingerscrossed:

My father-in-law who is not an M.P. but is 74, uses his winter fuel allowance towards the cost of running his AC in Florida from November to March! :scaredhair::scaredhair::scaredhair:

Regards

Hemingway

Honey Bee May 15th 2009 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by hemingway (Post 7574954)
My father-in-law who is not an M.P. but is 74, uses his winter fuel allowance towards the cost of running his AC in Florida from November to March! :scaredhair::scaredhair::scaredhair:

Regards

Hemingway

He has to keep his home heated whilst away :thumbup: - and he has paid all his working life for the privilege. :frown:

noni May 15th 2009 2:57 pm

Regards

Hemingway

Just because you can't escape the british weather, don't take it out on f-i-law. :o Think he is a pensioner poor old sod not like these loaded MP's with their noses in the trough what he gets for his winter allowance is what most of them spend on lunch. :scaredhair:

emsirrah May 15th 2009 4:07 pm

Regards

Hemingway

Not in Florida but me too - yippee :thumbsup:

hemingway May 15th 2009 4:16 pm

[QUOTE=noni;7575065]Just because you can't escape the british weather, don't take it out on f-i-law.QUOTE]

Wouldn't dream of taking out on him - just envious at the moment, not of being 74 , but of spending winters in sunny warm weather - infact in 'X' years time, I hope to be spending my own winter fuel allowance on running AC somewhere warm. . . . . . . . . . .

He's being doing his winters in the sun every year since the mid 1980s & if I can be in anything like as good health as him when I'm 74, I'll be well pleased!

Regards

Hemingway

noni May 15th 2009 5:23 pm

[QUOTE=hemingway;7575233]

Originally Posted by noni (Post 7575065)
Just because you can't escape the british weather, don't take it out on f-i-law.QUOTE]

Wouldn't dream of taking out on him - just envious at the moment, not of being 74 , but of spending winters in sunny warm weather - infact in 'X' years time, I hope to be spending my own winter fuel allowance on running AC somewhere warm. . . . . . . . . . .

He's being doing his winters in the sun every year since the mid 1980s & if I can be in anything like as good health as him when I'm 74, I'll be well pleased!

Regards

Hemingway

:thumbsup: