Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How was your stay in Goa!

How was your stay in Goa!

Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

carlferns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How was your stay in Goa!

I'm an Indian expat, having lived a long while in the US.
If Goa were any closer, I'd be there every month - it is just wonderful.

I'd definitely not agree that the place is a rip off.
It is changing.
Prices are going up, red tape too, but once you thro with that, you still have a rollicking time.
I know I do.

Remember, people make their living from the 6-8 months of tourism. Average that out, over 12 and the economics is scary.
That's why locals give some more than others preference and a SKIN TAX.

It is still fun - and a whole lot cheaper than Aruba, London and NY...lol

And quite frankly if you careful, you'll never get ripped off.

Take care,
Carl
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:27 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlferns
I'm an Indian expat, having lived a long while in the US.
If Goa were any closer, I'd be there every month - it is just wonderful.

I'd definitely not agree that the place is a rip off.
It is changing.
Prices are going up, red tape too, but once you thro with that, you still have a rollicking time.
I know I do.

Remember, people make their living from the 6-8 months of tourism. Average that out, over 12 and the economics is scary.
That's why locals give some more than others preference and a SKIN TAX.

It is still fun - and a whole lot cheaper than Aruba, London and NY...lol

And quite frankly if you careful, you'll never get ripped off.

Take care,
Carl
Hi Carl, Welcome to BE. I am sure members on here have learnt the hard way about being ripped off. Once ripped off, I will never use that persons services again. Can't wait to return in November.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

carlferns is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by noni
Hi Carl, Welcome to BE. I am sure members on here have learnt the hard way about being ripped off. Once ripped off, I will never use that persons services again. Can't wait to return in November.
Thanks Noni,

I'm sure everyone learns quick. The regulars to Goa more than others.
I still remember my first trip to the clubs around JHU. Not sure who ripped (pun unintended) whom off there.....

My take - you still get the best bang for your buck in Goa if you there for the long haul.
Now if the buck was much bigger, I'd still recommend Goa over Martha's Vineyard, but only at the Ramada/Leela or some grand hotel.
Talking average here, if you take a vacation for 6 mths, that makes you a resident tourist or actually more of a local. You've got to be ready to take the bus, ride a bike, know taxi rates, do your own groceries, and clean the apt and even pick up some of the local lingo coz you practically living there.
Bottom line - you still going to have a great time without your bills mounting sky high.

Carl

Last edited by carlferns; Jul 29th 2012 at 8:05 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Lamplady is an unknown quantity at this point

We are off to Goa this November, Varca Beach to be precise for a month, and found a reasonably priced apartment to rent. We are hoping that if we like Goa we will spend our winters there every year. Taking mozzi nets with us, even though there is a/c just in case. Thoroughly looking forward to it, but not the flight as I am a nervous flyer. Good thread thanx everyone. Will try not to get ripped off
Old Oct 6th 2012, 5:34 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lamplady

Just noticed you;re new here and wanted to wish you a warm welcome to both BE and the Goa forum.
Varca is a lovely part of Goa, nice beaches and quite a quiet area. Try not to worry about the flight, it is a pain in the butt and is a bit long but that necessary evil....worse for the smoke who can't have a puff mid flight !!!!

Have a fab trip

Dread - x
Old Oct 6th 2012, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Lamplady is an unknown quantity at this point

Dread thank you for your warm welcome much appreciated. I quit the weed about 7 years ago, but partner will be gagging lol. will let you all know how much i like Goa (I hope) once I return beginning December.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 7:41 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Lamplady

Just noticed you;re new here and wanted to wish you a warm welcome to both BE and the Goa forum.
Varca is a lovely part of Goa, nice beaches and quite a quiet area. Try not to worry about the flight, it is a pain in the butt and is a bit long but that necessary evil....worse for the smoke who can't have a puff mid flight !!!!

Have a fab trip

Dread - x
Thought you had given up
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:33 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Thought you had given up
I have......but I remember what it was like....and I am not one of these supercillious ex smokers who thinks giving up gives them automatic right to be up their own arses and look down their nose at other smokers.
Flying long distance for smokers is horrible. I would be in favour of bringing back smokers sections .... now if that doesn;t liven up the debate.........

Dread - x
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:37 pm

I have......but I remember what it was like....and I am not one of these supercillious ex smokers who thinks giving up gives them automatic right to be up their own arses and look down their nose at other smokers.
Flying long distance for smokers is horrible. I would be in favour of bringing back smokers sections .... now if that doesn;t liven up the debate.........

Dread - x
If they did, I would make them do "wing walking!
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:42 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Dread - x
I'm glad I've never had the inclination to smoke - other than the health issues, I'd have probably set fire to myself. IMHO smokers look 'cool' - I can see why adolescents take it up.

Michael O'Leary of Ryan Air fame would probably like to bring back smoking on flights - he could take a few rows of seats out, charge you to stand there, charge you for each fag you sparked up & charge you for each knock of ash into the ash tray.

H.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by hemingway
I'm glad I've never had the inclination to smoke - other than the health issues, I'd have probably set fire to myself. IMHO smokers look 'cool' - I can see why adolescents take it up.

Michael O'Leary of Ryan Air fame would probably like to bring back smoking on flights - he could take a few rows of seats out, charge you to stand there, charge you for each fag you sparked up & charge you for each knock of ash into the ash tray.

H.
So cynical !!!! But true...

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Oct 6th 2012 at 8:58 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 9:02 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: How was your stay in Goa!

So cynical !!!! But true...

Dread - x
Worrying (allegedly) but the negativity just seems to com naturally. . . . . . .

H.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

About to go back to UK. Will return in February.
Mixed stay, sorting out aftermath of burglary, learnt about the thieves calling card (neighbours had kept it from us, and cleaning done). They had been caught (from UP state, went to police station, some lovely things, but none of our stuff there).
Land problem still not settled,
Goa quiet obviously, Benaulim looks a 'dump' now. Discovered Zeebop restaurant at Utorda beach, there is a very useful shower there for after swim. Beach clean and empty, mostly domestic tourists (families) at first, each week more foreigners. Then staying with rels. Now pleased to be going back to UK.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

majorda_buyer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bipat
About to go back to UK. Will return in February.
Mixed stay, sorting out aftermath of burglary, learnt about the thieves calling card (neighbours had kept it from us, and cleaning done). They had been caught (from UP state, went to police station, some lovely things, but none of our stuff there).
Land problem still not settled,
Goa quiet obviously, Benaulim looks a 'dump' now. Discovered Zeebop restaurant at Utorda beach, there is a very useful shower there for after swim. Beach clean and empty, mostly domestic tourists (families) at first, each week more foreigners. Then staying with rels. Now pleased to be going back to UK.
Hi Bipat,

Sorry to hear about the burglary - it's an awful experience to go through. Welcome back home - the weather is pretty sunny and you have Christmas to look forward!!!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by majorda_buyer
Hi Bipat,

Sorry to hear about the burglary - it's an awful experience to go through. Welcome back home - the weather is pretty sunny and you have Christmas to look forward!!!
Thank you; it's certainly cold though!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.