Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How was your stay in Goa!

How was your stay in Goa!

Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:19 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice
Default Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by SteveKingswear
This is starting to remind me of that John Cleese sketch from the sixties - The 3 guys standing next to one another depicting Upper Class, Middle Class and Lower Class! As someone with grand children and business commitments I choose to spend between 4 and 8 weeks a year in Goa; weeks that I thoroughly enjoy, however as a glorified holidaymaker are my opinions on this forum any less valid? And just how has a thread asking as to whether you enjoyed your season degenerated into one of one one-upmanship as to how long you actually spend in Goa. To draw an analogy its a bit like when I go and watch West Ham,as a season ticket holder of some decades the post match discussion in the bar often involves how long we've supported the club and been a season ticket holder. The decades are a badge of commitment with the number of games seen each season a measure of our commitment to suffering for the cause!
Could be worse, you could be talking about your commitment to Watford!!!!!!!, yes my team!!.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

P.S. The eggs and bacon, pigs and chicken analogy made me laugh!
Good! It was supposed to be light-hearted!

Last edited by Chameleons; Apr 30th 2012 at 11:24 am.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:50 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

This is starting to remind me of that John Cleese sketch from the sixties - The 3 guys standing next to one another depicting Upper Class, Middle Class and Lower Class! As someone with grand children and business commitments I choose to spend between 4 and 8 weeks a year in Goa; weeks that I thoroughly enjoy, however as a glorified holidaymaker are my opinions on this forum any less valid? And just how has a thread asking as to whether you enjoyed your season degenerated into one of one one-upmanship as to how long you actually spend in Goa. To draw an analogy its a bit like when I go and watch West Ham,as a season ticket holder of some decades the post match discussion in the bar often involves how long we've supported the club and been a season ticket holder. The decades are a badge of commitment with the number of games seen each season a measure of our commitment to suffering for the cause!

Hoorah - someone actually gets my point - this one upmanship is pointless !!!

Not bad for a Westham supported - LOL -

Dread - x
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that rather than "one upmanship". It is a sense of loyalty as well as commitment that some have. That is taking the bad with the good for those who have chosen to make their actual home there, (or are attached to a local savage )

People who bought, are unhappy and unable to leave are in a terrible position,
but a few others who just post endless negative comments why?? it is not compulsory to be in Goa or India.

Those that happily stay or visit regularly and enjoy themselves why not???
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:34 pm
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bipat
Could it be that rather than "one upmanship". It is a sense of loyalty as well as commitment that some have. That is taking the bad with the good for those who have chosen to make their actual home there, (or are attached to a local savage )

People who bought, are unhappy and unable to leave are in a terrible position,
but a few others who just post endless negative comments why?? it is not compulsory to be in Goa or India.

Those that happily stay or visit regularly and enjoy themselves why not???
Dont mix with the savages.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:10 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Well said & I like the football analogy. Yes this forum is entitled "ex-pats" & I'm not, but I don't feel like the sites Hormonal Truths OR Trip Anal-yser apply to me as regards the property issue.

Regards

H.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

SteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=hemingway;10033447) I don't feel like the sites Hormonal Truths OR Trip Anal-yser apply to me as regards the property issue.

Regards

H.[/QUOTE]

To paraphrase John Cleese again, "Don't mention the property, I did it but I think I got away with it''.

Where perhaps I differ is that I always thoroughly enjoy my time in Goa, I like the people very much, the quirkiness of the country and even see the funny side of the lack of infrastructure and anomalies of the administration. Factors that for others are an irritation, for me are all part of its charm and lets face it, it can only get better! My grandson has been there with me, albeit only for three weeks and he rates it as his second best ever holiday, better than Disneyland (number 3) but not as good as swimming with the dolphins in the Red Sea.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:18 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

To paraphrase John Cleese again, "Don't mention the property, I did it but I think I got away with it''.

Where perhaps I differ is that I always thoroughly enjoy my time in Goa, I like the people very much, the quirkiness of the country and even see the funny side of the lack of infrastructure and anomalies of the administration. Factors that for others are an irritation, for me are all part of its charm and lets face it, it can only get better!
We always enjoy our holidays in Goa. Dogs & garbage are the two things that really bring the place down for me.

Some of the things that go on amuse me with the short sighted behaviour of the local shack owner & the odd goan accquaintance but I just can't be bothered getting too upset over someone making an extra 25p or £2.00 out of me - yes, white skin prices I know, but it obviously means a lot more to them than it does to me.

Regards

H.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:44 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

but I just can't be bothered getting too upset over someone making an extra 25p or £2.00 out of me - yes, white skin prices I know,

But if you were there for 25 weeks rather than 2, can you honestly say it wouldn't p*ss you off?

Or even, God forbid, trying to live there all year?

That was the difference I was trying to highlight, but the politically correct, kiss my @rse brigade have hi-jacked that thought and portrayed it as an attempt to create a pecking order.

Really can't be bothered any more, enjoy your delusions, they are priceless.......

Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:08 pm
I love apathy!

Originally Posted by johnny five
But if you were there for 25 weeks rather than 2, can you honestly say it wouldn't p*ss you off?

Or even, God forbid, trying to live there all year?

Really can't be bothered any more, enjoy your delusions, they are priceless...
In 2 or 3 weeks, I don't want to waste my time getting pi*sed off about it. If I were there for 6 months, I'd have time to learn which places "had me over" & subsequently avoid them! Other wise it would really piss me off - I don't mind making a mistake once but being repeatedly shafted would seriously naff me off. As for living there full time, no, never - I like the UK too much in late spring, summer & early autumn.

If you can't be bothered any more, that's your call.

As for 'delusions' - either you are generalising and your comments dont specifically apply to me, OR

if you are referring specifically to me, you are not in a position to comment as you don't know me, nor do you know if I have any 'delusions' or not.

Regards

H.

Last edited by hemingway; Apr 30th 2012 at 9:11 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:28 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

s we say in Wales.

"There you go then"

Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

SteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to behold

s we say in Wales.

"There you go then"

Shouldn't that be as we say In Arpora?

But coming back to your previous post J5 - Yes without a doubt living anywhere for 52 weeks a year would be very very tedious; but it's a choice, you have presumably made the choice and if you are really finding things that odious do something about it, move! However I doubt that will happen, living somewhere like Goa for extended periods is a bit like being in a very long term relationship, you realise that your partner is far from perfect and that he she has some incredibly annoying habits, quirks and mannerisms; but after all these years it's those habits, quirks and mannerisms that you love and you wouldn't swop that partner for a lottery win!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:08 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

s we say in Wales.

"There you go then"

FINE!
Old May 1st 2012, 8:41 am
Banned

What have the savages ever done for us???
Savages = Romans.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

My stay was fine but i can see where J5 is coming from and yes it slowly gets under your skin the needle of being constantly ripped off for sums that seems trifling and petty in the West. I have read with amusement the comments on Newtons and their habit of giving sweets or tokens, instead of change.Non of the sums that involved me were over the sum of 5 rupees, so i always gave them back to the girl on check out because if Newtons were ripping me off, think how much they were paying her to do it for them ? For new arrivals in Goa the enthusiasm soon wears off as the heat and constant problems of living in a semi tropical climate with an intermittent electricity supply kicks in and you have face the environment without A/C or the fan.Walking to the market or the shop without the benefit of a pavement.Dogs and prowlers in the night and the constant over crowding of a place that has become popular with domestic tourists but this is India, not Brighton or some retiree dump on the West Coast like Bournemouth for instance.......Indian society isn't structured on the nuclear family principles
its extended and open in some cases.There might only be one person working in a family of eight or nine persons.I lived in the mountains for a period of time in a small village above Manali and it was a 2 hour walk to get the shopping,3 if it had been snowing or raining.Do your home work and read a bit of Indian history.If you think your being victimised because of the colour of your skin and the depth of your pockets, you are probably right,but this also applies to other Indians, especially if your from " Up North or Delhi." Cheating people seems to a national sport in India not out of malicious reasons but out of necessity of making a few extra rupees for the table.
there is a film just out."The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel." See if you can get it at the market.Its not out on DVD yet so the copies will be dark and blurred but its about a bunch of ex-pats in India dealing with the same problems as on this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.