GOSSIP AND CHIT CHAT

Old Jul 4th 2013, 2:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOSSIP AND CHIT CHAT

Originally Posted by noni
Most of us spent November - April there Lion, some who we tease as "tweekers" two weekers, are waiting to retire and spend long holidays in their holiday homes. - Have been going there for 18 years +. Love the place - except for the retrospective new law they bought in AFTER WE bought and registered our deeds. The now hassle with our bank accounts, and being told that my children now cannot inherit our apartment after making a Goan Will and had it registered.
Apart from that life is wonderful out there, have many friends from all walks of life there, during my sad and distressing time last season my local "village" friends were fantastic. What the future brings for me out there is in the lap of the Gods at the moment.
Legal doings I am familiar with from my Mexican experiences. They can be hard to keep up with and can change in a flash of course. In Mexico the main problem with that sort of thing is the corruption.

But I love that country. There are some very different customs and some don't suit me at all but you just have to accept that it is a different culture so judging it by the culture that I grew up in doesn't make much sense.

I don't want to eat maggots with the Yanomamo in the Amazon rain forest, but that doesn't make them crude and disgusting of course (just don't arrive at dinner time).

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jul 4th 2013 at 2:41 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 2:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Why don;t you go there and find out why we like it?
'Cos actually most of us do...but like anywhere which forms 'home' whether for all of or part of every year there are things we do and don;t like.....which is no different from everywhere else if the forums on here are anything to go by.

Dread - x
Would love to go. Can't afford the ticket.

And that is what I was asking - what do you like?
Old Jul 4th 2013, 2:42 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Of course people in India spit and pee in the street, millions of them do it all over India. The discussion was about those of a social class somewhat above the bottom rank, (not sure how to describe it).

(If you meant to deride the "nice" family, I would imagine people owning second homes abroad would be in the same category).
Our complex is now being bought up by people from Mumbai and Delhi, as holiday homes. The original british owners are leaving due to the negative rules and regulations, such a same it was their dream. The new residents so far are really nice people.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Bipat, saw these also in Mumbai, Delhi, Jaipur etc. (not in their brown undies and vesties though ). I now think itching power is put in their trousers spiting/urinating/leering yes all in these places as well.
I wonder how long you spent in these places Noni? If you look for these things you will find them everywhere, of course they occur. They are just not the norm for most of the population of any city.
Have you heard of dhobi itch? not uncommon for poorer people who have their underwear done in the mass laundries. (A fungal infection of the groin.)

Last edited by Bipat; Jul 4th 2013 at 2:53 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 2:51 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

I could tell you but may be captured by the mafia if I did.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 2:58 pm

I could tell you but may be captured by the mafia if I did.
I could ask my Indian cousins (derived from some indiscretions by an ancestor), only they now live in the US - university professors. My doctor is also Indian.

It has to be said that none of them show any signs of scratching or spitting.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 2:58 pm

I wonder how long you spent in these places Noni? If you look for these things you will find them everywhere, of course they occur. They are just not the norm for most of the population of any city.
Have you heard of dhobi itch? not uncommon for poorer people who have their underwear done in the mass laundries. (A fungal infection of the groin.)
Oh! Bipat, what are we to do with you. LOOK for these things, how can I miss them standing in Q's outside The Taj and other places, zip open ........ out WEE! spitting etc.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 3:03 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

Well as you asked so nicely .......

- My Goan and Indian friends and every minute I spend with them.
- My British and European friends who live there full or part time and every minute spend with them.
- My OH who is Goan..... and his family
- A little orphanage/slum school that friends and I in the UK raise money to sponsor - where I sometimes go and help kids with maths science and English.
- Great photographic opportunities
- Great scenery
- The food
- Certain favourite bars and restaurants
- The weather
- The beaches
- Amazing sunsets almost every day
- Palm trees
- Certain beach shacks where I go and chill
- The pace of life
- More time to read books
- The improved effects on my health
- The cost of living
- Riding a scooter without a helmet on the crazy roads (more thrilling than a rollercoaster)
- Some of the architecture such as intricate carvings and temples
- Staying in beach tents in Agonda
- Kingfisher lager
- Cheese dosa's.......
- Noni when she is 'on form' (usually after a few pecs of her tipple of the day!!)
- Babu1 for interesting conversations at my OH's bar...

And probably a whole host of other things that I will remember later - but I'm sure you will agree it is a longer list than the things I don't like.....which I may point out add up to anti social behaviour, corruption and injustice....and those are things I dislike anywhere in the world !!

Dread - x
Old Jul 4th 2013, 3:11 pm

- My British and European friends who live there full or part time and every minute spend with them.
- A little orphanage/slum school that friends and I in the UK raise money to sponsor - where I sometimes go and help kids with maths science and English.
- Great scenery
- The food
- The weather
- The beaches
- Palm trees
- The pace of life
- The cost of living
- Riding a scooter without a helmet on the crazy roads (more thrilling than a rollercoaster)
- Kingfisher lager
- Cheese dosa's.......
- Noni when she is 'on form' (usually after a few pecs of her tipple of the day!!)

And probably a whole host of other things that I will remember later - but I'm sure you will agree it is a longer list than the things I don't like.....which I may point out add up to anti social behaviour, corruption and injustice....and those are things I dislike anywhere in the world !!

Dread - x

Excellent. It's nice to have some perspective.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

- Great scenery
- The food
- The weather
- The beaches
- Palm trees
- The pace of life
- The cost of living
- Kingfisher lager
- Cheese dosa's.......

Dread - x
A great list
OH ??????
Old Jul 4th 2013, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

.... it is difficult for a foreigner to judge social status.....
Another nice euphemism!

AndyD 8-)
Old Jul 4th 2013, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Another nice euphemism!

AndyD 8-)
Euphemism for what?
Old Jul 4th 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Another nice euphemism!

AndyD 8-)
You are right, why not use the word Caste if that is what is meant, perhaps it is politically incorrect. Not long after I started spending time in Goa a security guard told me he liked the British because they would shake his hand despite his caste. I did not ask what his caste was because to me it is like the class system in Britain - totally irrelevant. If you are a nice friendly good honest person then I am happy to know you and shake your hand and I might even hug and kiss you on the cheek if you are really unlucky!
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by k800mer
You are right, why not use the word Caste if that is what is meant, perhaps it is politically incorrect. Not long after I started spending time in Goa a security guard told me he liked the British because they would shake his hand despite his caste. I did not ask what his caste was because to me it is like the class system in Britain - totally irrelevant. If you are a nice friendly good honest person then I am happy to know you and shake your hand and I might even hug and kiss you on the cheek if you are really unlucky!
It is not what is meant.
Caste issues still unfortunately occur, but it is somewhat in the past. In my experience of general life the word "caste" is just not heard; you know by peoples names their ancestry but it is irrelevant to most.
As for behaviour Hindu priests are by definition of Brahmin descent, and I have certainly come across some priests who exhibit 'low class' behaviour, plenty of spitting, weeing and vests , probably not leering
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by k800mer
Exactly! they are all Gods people, whichever God they pray to. I treat each person as I find them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.