GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old May 15th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Hi AndyD,

Yes I agree "don't get to excited " but also feel the "lets do nothing brigade" miss the point AWARENESS and ATTENTION is what we are after and now at long last WE ARE GETTING SOME
If the attention (as it surely will) hits the tourism industries pocket then perhaps they will take notice! And yes unfortunately the innocent may suffer along with the guilty,but are we not also victims ? If Goa thinks it can survive the 21st century (see Bryan D'sousa letter) but wants to live in the 19th century its very shortsighted.
The world is continually evolving not always for the best, but not always for the worse either.

Regards

K-c
Old May 15th 2008, 3:33 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
please don't get your hopes up - I have participated in petitions with tens of thousands of signatures, and they are all dismissed on a technicality - in the present case there are plenty of those.
Get 200 people to write to their MP's and you will get a significantly greater result.

AndyD 8-(#
You can't decry Kan-conned for trying, that is more than the rest of us have done. If you and Douglas are so sure the wording is wrong, can't you write a correctly worded petition and ask the FO to adhere our names to it.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

michellea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said noni. One of the things that intrigued me while in Goa was the number of ex pats who got on with their lives and knew (or thought they knew) about the processes etc in Goa but weren't willing to share their info/knowledge with others. Certain people on this site offer criticism or have negative input but don't care to do the things they purport to know would be better. I live in France now and things couldn't be more different, everyone helps each other and shares any info they have. M
Old May 15th 2008, 4:30 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michellea
Well said noni. One of the things that intrigued me while in Goa was the number of ex pats who got on with their lives and knew (or thought they knew) about the processes etc in Goa but weren't willing to share their info/knowledge with others. Certain people on this site offer criticism or have negative input but don't care to do the things they purport to know would be better. I live in France now and things couldn't be more different, everyone helps each other and shares any info they have. M
I have just received this email from a Goan who I correspond with who is has
"High connections". He has his own travel business in Goa and UK.

It reads.
"I have just returned from Goa after a stay of four weeks. I openly questioned various "so called VIP's" over the issue of property purchase by non indians. I was told bluntly that there was no provision in the Indian
Constitution to make laws for individual states. What the local legislators say have no value. Any issue they have has to go to Delhi for consideration. It will take a decade for any consideration to be given to any policy changes. You stay put.

Visa issue yes - they link this to our visa policy towards indians. So six months is official and by next year they will be in a position to issue visa's on arrival.

You will be allowed to sell to a willing buyer, if you wish. Do not let builders twist your arm to sell it to them for a price to suit them. You will get a reasonable market price.
Please do not panic and give away what you have taken so much trouble to establish.
"

I hope by sharing this it will uplift some of you,
No doubt some will shoot me down in flames. :curse: Noni
Old May 15th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

No doubt some will shoot me down in flames. Noni

Only the usual assassins'.. only the usual

"Where there is hope there is light"
Old May 15th 2008, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

We have always been told that about "them" having to go to dehli trouble is they are stuck with their heads up their ar....s here and live in their own little cocoons. too busy counting the rupees theyve made.
but we hold our heads up higher every day as more positive info feeds through, i for one i'm not giving up,
As for Michealla comments about expats sticking together and sharing info, in truth it dosent happen here, dont get me wrong there are a few that would do anything to help but many that would stab you in the back, you find out your true friends here when things happen illnesses etc its a real strange community here.
Old May 15th 2008, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

How about getting a petition up and sending it to Delhi rather than london? surely it cant do any harm to let them hear whats going on here. just an idea
Old May 15th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about

We thought we would share this with you all. Had a letter today from our MP with a copy of a letter to him from The Rt Hon Lord Malloch-Brown, Minister of State (Minister for Asia). We quote...
"We have heard reports that the Goan Government has amended its property legislation deeming it illegal for foreign nationals to own property for more than a five year lease. We cannot interfere with the domestic laws of another country and property issues in India are a matter for the Indian legal system. While British officials plan to raise this issue with Indian officials" ....etc. etc. It then went on to give a list of advocates who speak good English but noted the disclaimer which reads "neither HM government not British High Commission in India can act as a guarantor of the competence or probity of any paticular firm or individual on this list..."The letter finished with "the FOC tries to protect the interest of British citizens by warning them of the potential problems they could face should they choose to attempt to buy property in India". and directed us to the FCO and BHC in New Delhi's websites which highlight the potential pitfalls.
We wonder if this information was readily available in 2006 when we 'purchased' - no doubt someone will have the answer to that!
Guess we are alone in our pain folks - government don't want to know.
Daff
Old May 15th 2008, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Daff
We thought we would share this with you all. Had a letter today from our MP with a copy of a letter to him from The Rt Hon Lord Malloch-Brown, Minister of State (Minister for Asia). We quote...
"We have heard reports that the Goan Government has amended its property legislation deeming it illegal for foreign nationals to own property for more than a five year lease. We cannot interfere with the domestic laws of another country and property issues in India are a matter for the Indian legal system. While British officials plan to raise this issue with Indian officials" ....etc. etc. It then went on to give a list of advocates who speak good English but noted the disclaimer which reads "neither HM government not British High Commission in India can act as a guarantor of the competence or probity of any paticular firm or individual on this list..."The letter finished with "the FOC tries to protect the interest of British citizens by warning them of the potential problems they could face should they choose to attempt to buy property in India". and directed us to the FCO and BHC in New Delhi's websites which highlight the potential pitfalls.
We wonder if this information was readily available in 2006 when we 'purchased' - no doubt someone will have the answer to that!
Guess we are alone in our pain folks - government don't want to know.
Daff
Hi Daff,

We had the same letter just a standard reply. :curse:
Old May 15th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noni
You can't decry Kan-conned for trying, that is more than the rest of us have done. If you and Douglas are so sure the wording is wrong, can't you write a correctly worded petition and ask the FO to adhere our names to it.
Noni, I'm all in favour of trying, that's why I suggest writing to MP's. Yes you will probably get a semi-automated reply but someone at the FO may notice how many times they are asked for it.
re: the petition - the PM's petition website is just an automatic computer program (nothing to do with the FO btw). It might just be possible for the originator of a petition to get someone to manually intervene to change the wording early on (which I suggested). Douglas has explained in some detail wnat was wrong with the original wording.
You will be allowed to sell to a willing buyer, if you wish. Do not let builders twist your arm to sell
At the moment the Sub-Registrar is not registering sales deeds where the seller is a FN - hence all the postings and newspaper letters about it.
Several longstanding actions started by FN's in Goa are likely to come up before the High Court when it re-opens in June.

AndyD 8-)#
Old May 15th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

To AndyD and all

Well I for one HAVE written to my MP and HAVE received an official reply !
The time has come to stand up and be counted, how many of YOU out there have signed Geoffs petition ? How many of YOU have written to your MP ?
How many of YOU have contacted Jemma or other media source? finally how many of YOU have just sat there, observed,criticised and done NOTHING ?
I fear my final statement will not be answered but sincerely HOPE it plays on your mind and perhaps maybe one sleepless night YOU lie there thinking of what YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE TO HELP !:curse::curse::curse:
Old May 15th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

According to today's Herald, Keith Vaz is lunching Churchill Allemao at the House of Commons today, togetyher with the PM and other gov' ministers - Churchill has apparently said he's going to make a speech.
In view of his comments about auctioning foreigners' property we have written to our MP to protest his invitation -
Please do the same - especially if your MP is a tory (or Keith Vaz!).

AndyD 8-)#

Last edited by a_f_d; May 15th 2008 at 6:56 pm. Reason: improve
Old May 15th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

How can you be so easily distracted?

Just one more time, if you are a FN involved in transferring immovable property in india the one and only issue is -

were you/are you resident in india and can you prove it?

Everything else is just noise

douglas

Last edited by Douglas M; May 15th 2008 at 8:22 pm. Reason: post not diplomatic enough
Old May 15th 2008, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Douglas
wasn't you in fact resident in Goa and could prove it? yet you have left Why? You cannot sell your property and have been left in the same position as most of us on this site. Or was you aware of this situation when you purchased.Do you think that you have been treated fairly?
Do you think that the goal post have been moved in Goa.
No doubt I will will be shouted down,for asking these questions.
This is one of the reasons people don't quote on this site but ha!!ho!! I will await the on- slaught
regards
Karen
Old May 15th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Karen and Cliff
Hello Douglas
wasn't you in fact resident in Goa and could prove it? yet you have left Why? You cannot sell your property and have been left in the same position as most of us on this site. Or was you aware of this situation when you purchased.Do you think that you have been treated fairly?
Do you think that the goal post have been moved in Goa.
No doubt I will will be shouted down,for asking these questions.
This is one of the reasons people don't quote on this site but ha!!ho!! I will await the on- slaught
regards
Karen
Hi Karen,

Nice to hear from you again

I was resident in goa

It remains to be seen if i can prove it

I left because my visa was not renewed

I was aware that the govt could move against FNs, but didnt expect it to happen so soon

I dont feel i have been treated fairly, but that is not the issue

The goal posts have been moved in gao, but indian laws allow them to do that

I welcome your questions, nobody is shouting anyone down, Im just applying facts and reason for the benefit of others. I already know this stuff.

People post and dont post for all sorts of reasons on this site, douglas is a minor part of it.

From memory you were an in denial acronite, i wont hold it against you.

regards
douglas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.