Wikiposts

GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

dugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Hi Remy,

Before you jet off can you give me some idea of where East Meets West is on the Baga road. As we will be coming up from the South it is likely that the taxi driver will not know exactly where it is so if you could give me some land marks or Hotels by which to guide us it would be a great help.

Thanks Phil.

Have a safe journey and look forward to meeting you at the Bash.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dugmorephil
Hi Remy,

Before you jet off can you give me some idea of where East Meets West is on the Baga road. As we will be coming up from the South it is likely that the taxi driver will not know exactly where it is so if you could give me some land marks or Hotels by which to guide us it would be a great help.

Thanks Phil.

Have a safe journey and look forward to meeting you at the Bash.
Just in case Remy is tied up packing or tied up doing anything else !
East meets West is about 300 metres past Tito's Road on the left hand side going towards Baga ,just before Casa Portugesa and opposie Beira Mar Hotel.

Regards

Mike
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

dugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura about

Mike,

Thanks for the info hopefully we won't get to lost.
We will leave Betalbatim plenty early enough allowing for the usual traffic problems should take about 1 1/2 hours unless anybody knows diffrerently!!!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

posted this elsewhere and thought I'd copy it here:
had a chat with a lawyer today . . .:
he said he has quite a few clients called up by the DE in Panjim, says the DE are being very polite and pleasant and what they are mainly doing is checking that what people put in their affidavits is true concerning bringing the money in via banking channels and staying >182 days.
He is of the opinion that 'some' people were flexible with the truth and are now claiming to have lost their passports so can't prove their stay. He thinks the government is likely to be fairly lenient even with these people - maybe a biggish fine.
I also clarified the Stamp duty question and it seems there is some right on both sides:
Stamp Duty is 2% (maybe with 1% up front at A of S time), there is also 2% Registration Fee making 4% total.
hth AndyD 8-)#
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

mayrig is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Hello All.
Have been following the posts in this forum for over a year now, and thought I should bring something to the notice of anyone viewing properties through real estate agencies or brokers in Goa.

It was brought to my attention this morning that the house we bought off-plan a few months ago has been the subject of unauthorised visits by some real estate agency, who have been showing the property to "foreigners".

If anyone has been shown a detached house with a grey roof in Guirim, they are likely to be victims of a scam, as the house is NOT for sale through any agency at the moment. If anyone deals with whoever is showing this property and puts down any deposit, they will lose it.

Just for info, the house is similar to the one in this webpage, however, my roof has grey shingles : www.magicbricks.com/property/view.jsp?id=1647088. Incidentally, this is the house next to mine and is not for sale either, but of course, this could possibly be an old advertisement.

I am in the process of installing an Italian kitchen so the property will go on sale eventually when it is completed, however, it will be by private sale and will be clearly advertised as a private sale.

I have so far not discovered who is involved ... as you can imagine it is a bit difficult to investigate long-distance. If/when I do find out who is responsible for this then I will post the info here.

Cheers
Fleur
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

oasis108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Simon,

I'm from planet earth.

Where are you from?
I suspect this man is either an Agent or has some other interest in selling property in Goa (well he would have if he wants to resell whatever he thinks he has bought once it is finished to the foreign market).

I am one of those people who got my fingers burnt earlier this year and I am telling you all from personal experience DO NOT GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of other countries you can buy cheap property that are just as nice as Goa. The Dominican Republic in particular is very cheap at the moment due to the strength of the £ against the $.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
just a mini update on the Sub-Registrar situation:
apparently he is still refusing to register Agreements for Sale for FN's - or to issue a refusal letter for same, but he has said that if the AforS is notarised and subsequently appended to the Sales Deed then as and when (if?) they sort out a protocol for FN's to get a Home Dept NOC and Register sales deeds (the High Court has given them until January to come up with something) then the 1% Stamp Duty paid on the AforS will be offset against the duty on the deeds.

lol AndyD 8-)#

Last edited by a_f_d; Dec 6th 2007 at 11:01 pm. Reason: addition
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:47 am
Just Joined

robindog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Chideecha,

Welcome to the forum,

If you are a person of indian origin then you can legally purchase property in Goa without any major problems providing you hold a valid PIO Card or alternatively OCI (Overseas Indian Citizenship).

If you are a non resident Foreign National then you can not legally purchase immoveable property no matter what some unscrupulous sellers may tell you. Please take time to read this 'Buyer Beware' thread and you will see the problems that people have been encountering.

Some people have pulled out of their purchases and have had their money refunded. Please be careful especially if you are not a PIO / NRI as you could quite easily loose your investment!!!

Start at the first post (by Douglas M) in this thread and spend a day going through that and all subsequent posts.....it will probably save you thousands of pounds and enlighten you as to the dos and donts.

Regards,
Remy
And finally.........foreign nationals CANNOT purchase immovable property in India......however they can lease for a period not exceeding 59 months. Some developers are willing to enter into a contract whereby you """purchase""" the property on a revolving 59 month lease with the option to register the ownership when the law changes. This is a perfectly legal arrangement and provided you choose a reputable developer this can be a solution to the problem. We know a very reputable person in Goa and are proceeding along this route but of course it is always a case of buyer beware in all cases so you have to choose who you deal with very very carefully.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robindog
Some developers are willing to enter into a contract whereby you """purchase""" the property on a revolving 59 month lease with the option to register the ownership when the law changes.
Whens the law expected to change?
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We are talking about Goa here!! There have been intimations by various ministers quoted in the Herald that the law must change for the benefit of the country. They are aware that they are losing valuable foreign currency here and tourism is beginning to be affected by their intransigent attitude. For those that fall into the category their is a proposal to introduce a pensioner visa to allow persons with adequate income to settle and buy in the country but in India things move very s l o w l y. Until then just keep renewing the lease.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Governments in essentially the 3rd World,have'nt caught onto the cash cow that Pensioners are.
Create Villages with Good security,a Golf Course and a Hairdressing salon,some nursing staff and a small clinic , access to a Reasonable Hospital , efficient and trustworthy Cleaning staff and you have a cash cow that spends money locally,creates employment and is of a limited Tenure without having voting rights.
If you get really clever, you establish a training facility next door where the bored retiree's can train and teach and they'll be so happy to have something usefull and worthwile to do , they'll do it for a pittance.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

oasis108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do the British continually keep believing that the laws are going to change in favour of their investments. When is the penny going to drop that the Goan people do not want them there. If the law changes (as it's already doing) it is only going to make it more difficult to buy, not less.

Wake up people, put your money elsewhere into a economy that wants it.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

the law doesn't need to change to allow resident FN's to Register property, in theory thay can now --- in practice they can't because the Sub-Registrar has been instructed not to do it without an NOC from the Home Dept. - and they have no procedure to issue NOC's.
The high court has given the government until January (?) to set something up. Of course they may just ask for more time <s>

AndyD 8-)#
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by oasis108
Why do the British continually keep believing that the laws are going to change in favour of their investments. When is the penny going to drop that the Goan people do not want them there. If the law changes (as it's already doing) it is only going to make it more difficult to buy, not less.

Presumably you are one of these Goans then ??? !!!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oasis108

I dont. I dont live there either or intend to live there. I was just suprised to hear someone suggest that the law was going to change, especially as I have read so many times of people thinking they completely own homes when they dont.

I guess the Goan people are happy to accept the ex pats hard earned money though aren't they, when it suits them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.