GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old May 23rd 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by Old Lob
I disagree with you.

Hope that made sense.
Hi Old Lob

As we now have a double negative, does that make the resulting meaning positive ie you are disagreeing with disagreement?

Also mitz did agree that disagreement was sometimes positive, as a result of supposedly positive people, firstly complaining that other contributors were being negative !

Hope that doesnt make sense (otherwise we may have yet another double negative on our hands)

kind regards
douglas
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:51 pm
A little honey

Honey Bee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poppetjay
Hi for those of us here in Goa, and could'nt listen to the programme and still cant, can you give us a brief of what was said, and where we take this "small matter" to thanks
Hi, poppetjay,

They have started a thread on You and Yours - can u pick up BBC Radio on line. because if you can you can hear it by logging on the BBC Radio 4 for the next six days.
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Hi honeybee, have seen thread, trying to hear the programme but for some reason cant, all i am is abit more confused !!! have heard of 2 FN's selling in the last 2 days but no one will tell me how they have done it!!! big bribes to sub registrar is all i can think of, one is through homes and estates.
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:18 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi honeybee, have seen thread, trying to hear the programme but for some reason cant, all i am is abit more confused !!! have heard of 2 FN's selling in the last 2 days but no one will tell me how they have done it!!! big bribes to sub registrar is all i can think of, one is through homes and estates.

Did they sell to PIO or Indians? and have their purchasers registered the deeds.
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Hi poppetjay,

You should be able to pop down to the sub registrars office and check out the recent registrations in book 1 ( registration of non testamentary documents relating to immovable property, and book 2 (record of refusals to register)

Your authority is section 57 (1) 1908 registration Act (pasted below)

Section 62 refers to fees ie they will charge you a fee for copies if you want them.

Registering Officers to allow inspection of certain books and indexes, and to give certified copies of entries.

(1) Subject to the previous payment of the fees payable in that behalf, the Books Nos. 1 and 2 and the Indexes relating to Book No. 1 shall be at all times open to inspection by any person applying to inspect the same; and, subject to the provisions of section 62, copies of entries in such books shall be given to all persons applying for such copies.

kind regards

douglas
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Hi Douglas, sorry suns fried my brain!! does this mean i should be able to go and see the boks to asscertain what/who has registered their properties in the past few days, will it not depend on the area, know ones Aldona!!???so would that be Mapusa?
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Douglas, sorry suns fried my brain!! does this mean i should be able to go and see the boks to asscertain what/who has registered their properties in the past few days, will it not depend on the area, know ones Aldona!!???so would that be Mapusa?

Hi poppetjay,

Yes, it means you can see the registrations (all of them if you wish), why not try both panjim and mapusa. From memory I did once publish a list of sub registrars offices for TDK.

kind regards
douglas
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

michellea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Poppetjay, do you have a computer, it is possible to relisten to shows over the net for up to 7 days, http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/waystolisten/internet/. I did listen to the show but thought it factually wrong in certain areas as did a-f-d. Keith Vaz lied and said he didn't know that Churchill Alamoa had said properties would be confiscated and he also said that 40% of land in Goa was owned by foreigners. He didn't say that he hadn't been to Goa as someone earlier thought, he said he didn't actually come from Goa and hadn't lived there. Anyway see if you can pick it up on the link.
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

I will try as far as poss to type as they speak or thereabouts.
About 1000 people have bought property in Goa and face losing them due to an amendment in Goas property law. Peoople who have bought these homes do not officially own them and could have them confiscatied unless the Reserve bank of India gives them clearance in retrospect.Many have been in touch but most want to stay anonymous for fear of having visa problems.It started with a story of a UK tourist who had bought an apartment in Goa 2 years ago and half way through the transaction her husband died but she carried on with it. They asked if anyone told her the hurdles she would face and she said that at no time was she told of any problems she would face.
Her sales agent has now disappeared. She has gone past the stage of being angry and said she has been caught in a trap and feels she will lose evertyhing. She said she still loves Goa and she thinks Goans are not happy with the affairs.
Minister Narkavar of Goa said all such cases are currently being reviewed by the reserve bank of india and will check if the property owners do meet with the requirements of the new law. He said the amendments simply bring Goa into line with International property law - "I love Amsterdam and I love France but I can't buy property there - we are following the same system of British law and we inherited from England"
BBC - but the difference here is that you have changed the law and they have bought in good faith before the law was changed and now that it has been they have been caught out and stand to lose 10's of thousands of £'s.
N - these are small cases so we will see about these, what can be done.
BBC - you say these are small things but they are not small things to those who are involved - 1 woman took her redundancy money and spent it all on a property in Goa and another man who took early retirement - interupted by N - these are small people we will have to think about them so when I get the report from the bank we will think about them and what is to be done about these people. We have not decided anything about those people we are waiting for the bank certification.
Next an Indian journalist - will carry on in a sec.

Last edited by emsirrah; May 23rd 2008 at 4:24 pm.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Spell out what has happened Rhoul - this was something that came about in March when they brought out the Goan registration act - previously to that Goa had been out of line with the rest of India and it did appear that FN's could come in and buy property and the new registration act prevents that unless you are a resident here and live for 182 days and even then you need to get the clearance from the reserve bank and it is a complicated procedure. and then just rambled a little (again). Then another brit who did his 182 days etc and was the same story as the first lady (and the rest). He then spoke about the save Goa party and tourism in Goa and others from Indian states buying property.
The journalist and the BBC then spoke about the Scarlett case and its effect on Goa and again about other Indians buying and putting up prices. He said Politics were playing a part in this fiasco. When a minister says something it is not necessarlily going to be followed up and said the Minister earlier was very vague on the "small cases" he spoke about earlier. It could or could not happen and there is much uncertainty at the moment. Then more chat about marketing property in Goa to the rest of the world - warning FN not to buy.
Next to Keith Vaz - BBC - what do you think is going on in Goa.
KV - I have never actually lived in Goa and my parents originated from there and I am very interested in as have the people who have come to me with their complaints. They have a great affection for Goa and I am very sorry that this situation has arisen because clearly people have, in good faith, taken a certain course of action and now as a result of the change in law they face these difficulties. We recently had Alamo here and this matter has been raised with him and other minister before.
BBC - was he the minister who had warned that properties would be confiscatied. kv - I don't know about that. You can now see what over development has done to Goa - his Grandparents home in Calangute is now a hotel. He then said that "if you buy something in good faith - according to International law - then it is yours and I am not someone who favours retrospective action as that is unfair. The way to take it forward is quite simple - everyone should contact their MP who should then raise the matter with the British High Commission - not individually - this does not work. It has to be raised at a very high level" Talking about selling to FN's again re not telling them about the laws." 40% of the land of Goa is under foreign ownership - not just UK but from Russia and Eastern Europe who have decided to buy properties in Goa and local Goans feel they are not being properly compensated as the prices of property are enormous. This is a separate issue from the people who bought in good faith like the people who have contacted you and me who bought property and think they might lose it and I think it needs to be the subject of urgent dialogue at the High Commision so that they can put their case in a proper way".
A little chat about PIO's then that was the end.

Poppetjay - hope you find this of interest - I would not very happy being in Goa and not being able to find out what has been said.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Emsirrah,

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide this transcript.

Can i have £10 for every incorrect statement made by the contributors?

kind regards
douglas
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:51 pm
Banned

Saliwooo is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't listen to all the rumours, our solicitor has told us there is no way the Goan goverment will take your property away from you, the only person legally allowed to take property, if something has been done illegally, is the Indian Prime Minister. So hold tight guys it might not be as bad as the scaremongers are making out, also on the bright side there is no where in FEMA which says a foriegner cannot buy property in India / Goa and it does not say you have to have an X visa to buy either. Don't forget Goa is only a state ( yes i know in a real state ) and when all said and done they will have to do as the Indian goverment tell them,also i know of 2 sales that have been registered for sale deeds to fn in the last 2 weeks with no complications and no bribes paid.

Last edited by Saliwooo; May 23rd 2008 at 4:56 pm.
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:56 pm
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Old Lob

As we now have a double negative, does that make the resulting meaning positive ie you are disagreeing with disagreement?

Also mitz did agree that disagreement was sometimes positive, as a result of supposedly positive people, firstly complaining that other contributors were being negative !

Hope that doesnt make sense (otherwise we may have yet another double negative on our hands)

kind regards
douglas
Thankyou for your illuminating letter which I received today. I accept my error and confirm that in fact I do not disagree with you; rather I disagree with myself. Comprehensively and always.

I remain, Sir,
Your obediant Servant,

Old Lob (Palaeolithic Period)
Old May 23rd 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saliwooo
Don't listen to all the rumours, our solicitor has told us there is no way the Goan goverment will take your property away from you, the only person legally allowed to take property, if something has been done illegally, is the Indian Prime Minister. So hold tight guys it might not be as bad as the scaremongers are making out, also on the bright side there is no where in FEMA which says a foriegner cannot buy property in India / Goa and it does not say you have to have an X visa to buy either. Don't forget Goa is only a state ( yes i know in a real state ) and when all said and done they will have to do as the Indian goverment tell them.

Hi Saliwoo,

Can i have £10 for every incorrect statement you have made also?

regards
douglas
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

japdealer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Saliwoo,

Can i have £10 for every incorrect statement you have made also?

regards
douglas

why are asking for money are you a money grabbing Goan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.