British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   In To-day's Newspapers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/days-newspapers-558924/)

noni Jun 30th 2009 2:04 am

Re: In Today's Times of India

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland (Post 7712179)
Yeah,
the locals sell to developers for a tidy profit, they in turn sell to us for a bigger profit, then they tell us we should'nt have bought them and they now want to take our homes, keep our money and expect us to keep coming back every year to spend more money.:confused::blink::frown:

They are complete numpties - have a good night tonight. 400 on petition.

poppetjay Jun 30th 2009 5:25 am

Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Same old story Remy, the goans that have sold land or apartments have built more apartments to make more money buy renting them out to tourists not to live in, they have lined their pockets and now we are being put down as the bad people dont think so!!!!!!to be honest i am sick to death of all this crap weve had 3 years of this now and its not a nice place to live in anymore, I have some (very few now) good goan friends but i wouldnt think twice about packing up and leaving never to return if i could.

hemingway Jun 30th 2009 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland (Post 7710112)
Agree.....and time to up the anti.....btw Sonia Gandhi herself is a Foreign National....allbeit a PIO through marriage.......oh the hypocrisy of it all.;)

Yes, that really is taking the p**s - we'll end up with the Goon government going to their FN president to stop FNs legally acquiring (is it spelt correctly this time Noni????) immovable property in India - slightly surreal as well - almost like asking the police to help with theft! Ooops, sorry that's probably common place in Goa - infact the cops don't need to be asked to help, they just do it themselves (allegedly).

Here's a short extract from Sonia's biog: Born into a family of modest means in an Italian village on the banks of a river 57 years ago, Sonia Maino, now Sonia Gandhi, has weaved a dramatic way to a place in history by becoming the President of India's century-old Congress party.

Regards

Hemingway

noni Jun 30th 2009 5:36 am

Originally Posted by hemingway (Post 7712761)
Yes, that really is taking the p**s - we'll end up with the Goon government going to their FN president to stop FNs legally acquiring (is it spelt correctly this time Noni????) immovable property in India - slightly surreal as well - almost like asking the police to help with theft! Ooops, sorry that's probably common place in Goa - infact the cops don't need to be asked to help, they just do it themselves (allegedly).

Here's a short extract from Sonia's biog: Born into a family of modest means in an Italian village on the banks of a river 57 years ago, Sonia Maino, now Sonia Gandhi, has weaved a dramatic way to a place in history by becoming the President of India's century-old Congress party.

Regards

Hemingway

Truce!!! my dear hemingway - petition now over 407 now.

No more English lessons.

hemingway Jun 30th 2009 5:49 am

Originally Posted by noni (Post 7712778)
Truce!!! my dear hemingway - petition now over 407 now. No more English lessons.

Okay! :wub: ;) :wub:

Now 412. The e-mail address is DEFINITELY key - use the same e-mail address TWICE for say a husband & wife signing the petition separately & you will get TWO e-mails that you have to click a link on to verify the e-mail address. Even if you do click the link on each confirmation e-mail, only ONE 'signature' will appear on the petition - I know! To get the signature of my wife (who doesn't have an e-mail address) on the petition I had to 'register' again using my work e-mail address, then sure enough, it worked. As Remy said the list can take up to 20 minutes to update.

Regards

Hemingway

1s.cowell Jun 30th 2009 6:04 am

Now listen up guys !

Perhaps you all may want to drop a line to Sonia Gandhi ?

Her Lok Sabha email is; [email protected]

She may give her opinion as an ex FN ? :confused:

Off to L.A

Good Luck

Simon :D

noni Jun 30th 2009 6:10 am

Originally Posted by 1s.cowell (Post 7712814)
Now listen up guys !

Perhaps you all may want to drop a line to Sonia Gandhi ?

Her Lok Sabha email is; [email protected]

She may give her opinion as an ex FN ? :confused:

Off to L.A

Good Luck

Simon :D

414 now see Honey Bee has finally pulled her finger out. What has happened to some of the others!!!

Off to L.A. - to a funeral?

hemingway Jun 30th 2009 6:11 am

Originally Posted by 1s.cowell (Post 7712814)
Off to L.A Good Luck Simon :D

Hi Simon Cowell, long time no see (on B.E.) - I did see you in the paper the other day walking down the beach with that portly chap Sir Phillip Green - did you think on to ask him to sign the petition?

(I'd like my wallet to be as portly as Sir Phillips!)

Regards

Hemingway

noni Jun 30th 2009 8:37 am

Originally Posted by hemingway (Post 7712823)
Hi Simon Cowell, long time no see (on B.E.) - I did see you in the paper the other day walking down the beach with that portly chap Sir Phillip Green - did you think on to ask him to sign the petition?

(I'd like my wallet to be as portly as Sir Phillips!)

Regards

Hemingway

Thought you boys would like Simon's totties.:rolleyes:

Return of Santan Jun 30th 2009 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by noni (Post 7712820)
414 now see Honey Bee has finally pulled her finger out. What has happened to some of the others!!!

Off to L.A. - to a funeral?

Hey Noni that BaaD !:shades_smile:

noni Jun 30th 2009 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kan-conned (Post 7714050)
Hey Noni that BaaD !:shades_smile:

Yep - I'm Baad, I'm Baad :rofl:
Have you read the cheeky letter in the Herald to-day.
How ignorant can some people be in goa now we are a 'drain on their economy', :rofl::rofl: they are a drain on ours, but foreigners can't see that.
They should give us the same privileges we give them in this country.

Return of Santan Jul 1st 2009 12:49 am

:tounge_smile:

Originally Posted by noni (Post 7714072)
Yep - I'm Baad, I'm Baad :rofl:
Have you read the cheeky letter in the Herald to-day.
How ignorant can some people be in goa now we are a 'drain on their economy', :rofl::rofl: they are a drain on ours, but foreigners can't see that.
They should give us the same privileges we give them in this country.

I think the majority of Goans there live in " The Darling Buds of May":wub: timewarp and forget the power and coverage of the t'internet :eek:

Fearnot "Marcus D'Sa" ( clue in the name, Marquis de Sade innit :rofl:)
the way things are developing ( ?) in Goa, you will soon be back to climining trees Toddi tapping and fishing ( River Princess "Brown Trout" m'thinks )

BECAUSE THERE WON'T BE ANY TOURISTS GOING THERE.... IDIOT !

old man Jul 1st 2009 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Kan-conned (Post 7715064)
:tounge_smile:

I think the majority of Goans there live in " The Darling Buds of May":wub: timewarp and forget the power and coverage of the t'internet :eek:

Fearnot "Marcus D'Sa" ( clue in the name, Marquis de Sade innit :rofl:)
the way things are developing ( ?) in Goa, you will soon be back to climining trees Toddi tapping and fishing ( River Princess "Brown Trout" m'thinks )

BECAUSE THERE WON'T BE ANY TOURISTS GOING THERE.... IDIOT !

What is wrong with these imbeciles?

babu1 Jul 1st 2009 3:15 am

THE HERALD
Goa's complete online news edition - Wednesday, July 01, 2009

LETTERS

Reduce visa duration

Marcus D’Sa, Mapusa

We do need to promote tourism in Goa. But that’s where it should stop. We welcome people of all nationalities to come and enjoy the beauty and culture of our land, but there are many foreigners, especially Britishers and Israelis, who have settled down in Goa.

The government should prevent foreigners from staying in this country permanently. There are quite a number of foreigners living in Goa for years together. These foreigners who reside in our country almost permanently or for very long durations (exceeding 3 months) are definitely not tourists but a drain on our economy. There are quite a few foreigners who work at various business establishments along the coastline, thus depriving the locals of jobs. Some of them may even have criminal antecedents and may be escaping the law in their own countries.

The Government of India should not grant any foreigner a visa for more than 3months in a year.

© M/s Herald Publications Pvt Ltd, P.O.Box 160, Rua San Tome, Panjim-Goa 403001.

Anyone in favour of a reciprocal arrangement? And can we also have a freeze on the granting of citizenship by H.M Government UK? A check on 'criminal antecedents' would be interesting.

Or perhaps Mr D'Sa and his like might for once step outside their idyllic vaddo mindset and wake up to multiculturalism, entreprenueralism, a globalised economy, the rule of law, and justice within fair and tolerant societies.

Economics of Tourism in Goa : The liveliehoods of those Goans who work in tourism depend on the foreign exchange brought in by foreigners and spent in the local economy. Whether a foreigner is a two week tourist or long term resident is irrelevant; though long termers by simple logic contribute more to the economy per annum than short termers, even if these short termers are so called 'high rollers'.

Many Goans have prospered beyond the wildest dreams of even a generation ago as a consequence of tourism, not without hard work and wise investment.

Nobody is being deprived of a job, and certainly not 'locals'.

Reality: many Goan youth have no interest working in hotels, bars and/or restaurants, liesure industries, etc. Many have no interest in work whatsoever. Young (and not so young) Goan men simply enjoy the tourism gravy train by hanging around bars, restaurants and clubs where they might get lucky and form a relationship with a foreign female. This is usually either financially or sexually rewarding; most often both. Others are involved in the supply of drugs to foreigners; that is their liveliehood.

Goan women, with a few exceptions, are denied access to employment in the tourist sector. This is a social and cultural issue concerning local mores and local attitudes towards equal opportunities of employment. It is entirely divorced from the precence and/or influence of foreigners in Goa.

Many Goan business people prefer an owner/managerial business style whereby 'hands on' work is carried out by outsiders, most often from the Northern States of India and Nepal. Sometimes this is at minimal pay of food, perhaps basic shared accomadation, and tips (from foreigners!). Others lease out their business premises to 'non Goans' at annual rents; if the business is seen to prosper they raise the rents, and if the business flounders they raise the rents!

There are a handful of foreigners who make the fateful mistake of attempting entreprenuerial activity in Goa, most often trying to run a small bar, restaurant, or market stall. They have to deal with a barrage of bureaucratic complications, rip offs, intimidations, personal insults, harrassment and resentment, whether that be from the Excise Dept., Panchayats, PWD, Electricity Dept., Foreigners Registration Office, State Government at the Goa Secretariat, Goa Police, corrupt Goa Police, and/or hostile locals.

Historically, almost all such foreign business folk lose their entire investments after much hard work and against all the the odds that were deliberately placed before them. Much of the infrastructure as exists today in the tourist industry in Goa is the residual investment and enterprise of well intentioned foreigners who were eventually forced to sell up and move on. There are countless Goan businesses now trading which were founded on foreign good will and foreign capital which was subsequently abused and misappropriated.

No foreigner in India has access or entitlement to any Indian State Benefits of welfare, health, or any other provision which would assist or prolong their stay in India. All, with the exception of those who may be married to an Indian national, are completely self financing.

No foreign national in India is, as the dubiously pen named Marcus D'Sa of Mapusa states, 'a drain on our economy'!

noni Jul 1st 2009 3:23 am

Originally Posted by babu1 (Post 7715373)
THE HERALD
Goa's complete online news edition - Wednesday, July 01, 2009

LETTERS

Reduce visa duration

Marcus D’Sa, Mapusa

We do need to promote tourism in Goa. But that’s where it should stop. We welcome people of all nationalities to come and enjoy the beauty and culture of our land, but there are many foreigners, especially Britishers and Israelis, who have settled down in Goa.

The government should prevent foreigners from staying in this country permanently. There are quite a number of foreigners living in Goa for years together. These foreigners who reside in our country almost permanently or for very long durations (exceeding 3 months) are definitely not tourists but a drain on our economy. There are quite a few foreigners who work at various business establishments along the coastline, thus depriving the locals of jobs. Some of them may even have criminal antecedents and may be escaping the law in their own countries.

The Government of India should not grant any foreigner a visa for more than 3months in a year.

© M/s Herald Publications Pvt Ltd, P.O.Box 160, Rua San Tome, Panjim-Goa 403001.

Anyone in favour of a reciprocal arrangement? And can we also have a freeze on the granting of citizenship by H.M Government UK? A check on 'criminal antecedents' would be interesting.

Or perhaps Mr D'Sa and his like might for once step outside their idyllic vaddo mindset and wake up to multiculturalism, entreprenueralism, a globalised economy, the rule of law, and justice within fair and tolerant societies.

Economics of Tourism in Goa : The liveliehoods of those Goans who work in tourism depend on the foreign exchange brought in by foreigners and spent in the local economy. Whether a foreigner is a two week tourist or long term resident is irrelevant; though long termers by simple logic contribute more to the economy per annum than short termers, even if these short termers are so called 'high rollers'.

Many Goans have prospered beyond the wildest dreams of even a generation ago as a consequence of tourism, not without hard work and wise investment.

Nobody is being deprived of a job, and certainly not 'locals'.

Reality: many Goan youth have no interest working in hotels, bars and/or restaurants, liesure industries, etc. Many have no interest in work whatsoever. Young (and not so young) Goan men simply enjoy the tourism gravy train by hanging around bars, restaurants and clubs where they might get lucky and form a relationship with a foreign female. This is usually either financially or sexually rewarding; most often both. Others are involved in the supply of drugs to foreigners; that is their liveliehood.

Goan women, with a few exceptions, are denied access to employment in the tourist sector. This is a social and cultural issue concerning local mores and local attitudes towards equal opportunities of employment. It is entirely divorced from the precence and/or influence of foreigners in Goa.

Many Goan business people prefer an owner/managerial business style whereby 'hands on' work is carried out by outsiders, most often from the Northern States of India and Nepal. Sometimes this is at minimal pay of food, perhaps basic shared accomadation, and tips (from foreigners!). Others lease out their business premises to 'non Goans' at annual rents; if the business is seen to prosper they raise the rents, and if the business flounders they raise the rents!

There are a handful of foreigners who make the fateful mistake of attempting entreprenuerial activity in Goa, most often trying to run a small bar, restaurant, or market stall. They have to deal with a barrage of bureaucratic complications, rip offs, intimidations, personal insults, harrassment and resentment, whether that be from the Excise Dept., Panchayats, PWD, Electricity Dept., Foreigners Registration Office, State Government at the Goa Secretariat, Goa Police, corrupt Goa Police, and/or hostile locals.

Historically, almost all such foreign business folk lose their entire investments after much hard work and against all the the odds that were deliberately placed before them. Much of the infrastructure as exists today in the tourist industry in Goa is the residual investment and enterprise of well intentioned foreigners who were eventually forced to sell up and move on. There are countless Goan businesses now trading which were founded on foreign good will and foreign capital which was subsequently abused and misappropriated.

No foreigner in India has access or entitlement to any Indian State Benefits of welfare, health, or any other provision which would assist or prolong their stay in India. All, with the exception of those who may be married to an Indian national, are completely self financing.

No foreign national in India is, as the dubiously pen named Marcus D'Sa of Mapusa states, 'a drain on our economy'!

Excellent as always.:rolleyes: