Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:54 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22341867

Yes, prison is a holiday camp! They have better food, entertainment, are warm in winter, have sky - while the OAP suffer hardship.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Tina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by noni
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22341867

Yes, prison is a holiday camp! They have better food, entertainment, are warm in winter, have sky - while the OAP suffer hardship.
More money is spent, per head, on prisoners than is allocated to each of our serving troops! Crazy, isn't it?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:42 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Not my derogatory remark Dread, but the opinion of relatives and many Indian people, haven't you been asked at immigration when travelling alone "are you a missionary"?
No, but on Colaba Causeway in Bombay I have been offered a missionary position......

Old May 1st 2013, 12:10 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Not my derogatory remark Dread, but the opinion of relatives and many Indian people, haven't you been asked at immigration when travelling alone "are you a missionary"?
They have the impression that all missionaries are out to force/ buy people to convert to Christianity. I have argued against this (and you know I can argue!) with rels. and pointed out the charitable work of most missionaries, but no success the idea of forced conversion is fixed in their minds. It has to be remembered that many of my relative's ancestry is in Goa with Portuguese atrocities against Hindus.
I will 'look up' John Williams.

No never been asked that..........!!!!
St Francis Xavier is revered in Goa.....and not just by Christians.........wasn;t he the ultimate Christian missionary in these parts??

Still nothing like outright prejudice is there???? You know that thing you so oft complain about in others....................

Dread - x

PS - reply to this should be amusing........................
Old May 1st 2013, 12:12 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five
No, but on Colaba Causeway in Bombay I have been offered a missionary position......

Dirty boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dread - x
Old May 1st 2013, 12:48 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Dirty boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dread - x
He is a tart
Old May 1st 2013, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

No never been asked that..........!!!!
St Francis Xavier is revered in Goa.....and not just by Christians.........wasn;t he the ultimate Christian missionary in these parts??

Still nothing like outright prejudice is there???? You know that thing you so oft complain about in others....................

Dread - x

PS - reply to this should be amusing........................
Dread, did you read my post or just J5s reply? I pointed out it was not my opinion but that of the relatives I have discussed it with.
Yes St Francis Xavier is revered by those happily Christian and others.
Have you read the history of Portuguese dealings with Hindus? Our particular community were particularly targeted, their libraries burned, their temples destroyed, smeared with beef fat etc etc. They fled over the years to neighbouring areas.
So yes they tend to be prejudiced, my arguments are disagreed with but I think their views are understandable, even though 'out of date now'.
Old May 1st 2013, 3:46 pm

Dread, did you read my post or just J5s reply? I pointed out it was not my opinion but that of the relatives I have discussed it with.
Yes St Francis Xavier is revered by those happily Christian and others.
Have you read the history of Portuguese dealings with Hindus? Our particular community were particularly targeted, their libraries burned, their temples destroyed, smeared with beef fat etc etc. They fled over the years to neighbouring areas.
So yes they tend to be prejudiced, my arguments are disagreed with but I think their views are understandable, even though 'out of date now'.

Here we go here we go here we go........................ Patro - nising....................:bla h:

Anyone else enjoying the IPL cricket?

Dread - x
Old May 1st 2013, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go here we go here we go........................ Patro - nising....................:bla h:

Anyone else enjoying the IPL cricket?

Dread - x
Dread you asked a question, I tried to give you a correct reply and you apparently accuse me of prejudice when I clearly stated I had no bad feelings about missionaries.
In fact one of my closest friends was a Catholic missionary nun in Africa. She left the convent to pursue a career.
My further reply received an insult. May I politely ask why?

Just looked up St Francis Xavier as I know very little about himself as an individual. According to the wikipedia article (If it is correct) he apparently founded the Inquisition which seemed to do quite a lot of general persecuting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa_Inq...tion_of_Hindus

Last edited by Bipat; May 1st 2013 at 5:57 pm. Reason: Addition
Old May 1st 2013, 7:37 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Crusades will be to blame next.

Old May 1st 2013, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnny five
Crusades will be to blame next.

To blame for what?
In spite of your somewhat 'less than serious' posts. I find the history of Goa very interesting.
I thank Dread for her post (although I don't think that was her intention) or I would never have found the above link and would not have known that the Karwari Catholics were also refugees from the Inquisition, although all the religious groups in this town/city have a good relationship with each other.

Saw the last opening of the casket of St Francis, there were number of boxes of of digits on sale.
Old May 1st 2013, 9:06 pm

To blame for what?
In spite of your somewhat 'less than serious' posts. I find the history of Goa very interesting.
I thank Dread for her post (although I don't think that was her intention) or I would never have found the above link and would not have known that the Karwari Catholics were also refugees from the Inquisition, although all the religious groups in this town/city have a good relationship with each other.

Saw the last opening of the casket of St Francis, there were number of boxes of of digits on sale.
Not his real digits! I have seen him "come down" a twice, gruesome. The last time there were only 6 of us there. 'orrible.
Old May 1st 2013, 9:09 pm

Traders threaten to take Kingfisher, Budweiser beer off Goa shelves
1 May: IANS. Kingfisher and Budweiser beer sold in glass bottles may be off counters in Goa by next week, the state's only liquor trading body warned Wednesday. In a statement issued here, the Goa Liquor Traders Association (GLTA), which represents a majority of the liquor traders in Goa, have asked all its members to stop selling the bottled beers because of the chaos caused by the insistence of both companies to retain and return empty bottles, and demand a deposit from the customers who prefer to take the bottle away, instead of consuming it at the point of purchase…
www.goanvoice.org.uk
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noni
Not his real digits! I have seen him "come down" a twice, gruesome. The last time there were only 6 of us there. 'orrible.
I saw it several years ago not a pretty sight. As for forced conversion this was the Portuguese not the British, in fact an old man I talked to in a Hindu temple told me he preferred the British as they allowed religious freedom.
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by k800mer
I saw it several years ago not a pretty sight. As for forced conversion this was the Portuguese not the British, in fact an old man I talked to in a Hindu temple told me he preferred the British as they allowed religious freedom.
And it was abolished 201 years ago...................way before those aforementioned prejudiced people were born?

Dread - x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.