Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Well they should be able to cope, they should have been designed to cope and updated to cope - and don't say unexpected growth - Joseph Bazalgette's London sewers are still working more than 150 years later. Perhaps if Bombay's sewers were kept clear of rubbish they would work a little better.

AndyD 8-)#
As PJ has said they are also Victorian in design. I agree about lack of updating, garbage disposal etc. Shoddy building causing collapse. People suffer every year.

But you can hardly compare London with the amount of monsoon rainfall, (about 3'+ in one day in 2005), high tides, low land etc. and yes the increase in general population and squatters is vast.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:10 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Goa has 90,000 Russian tourists a year

14 Mar. Russian and India report. The Russian Federal Agency for Tourism, together with the Russian Travel Association World Without Borders, represented Russia in Mumbai as an attractive tourist destination. Russian Consul in Mumbai, expressed concern that far fewer Indians are coming to Russia than Russians visiting India. “Goa alone has about 90,000 Russian tourists a year. And we had just 50,000 Indian visitors last year, of whom only 5,000 were tourists.

Go to Goa!
14 Mar: Business Review India, Fondly referred to as ahippie beach-joint, Goa is more than just sun, sand and sea. The seductive state offers exotic flora and fauna, thrilling adventure sports, rich historical sites, wild nightlife, excellent shopping experience and great food …

www.goanvoice.org.uk.

p.s. If you ever find the magnificent shopping Malls in Panjim, as advertised 18 years ago in a travel book, please let me know.

Last edited by noni; Mar 14th 2012 at 8:12 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noni
[B]

p.s. If you ever find the magnificent shopping Malls in Panjim, as advertised 18 years ago in a travel book, please let me know.
I would not call it magnificent but the shopping mall that opened a year ago in Panjim has a few good shops in it, lifts, toilets and a place to eat (it is also next door to KFC), only thing is they have decided to extend up another two floors and judging by the huge cracks opening up in the walls it may not take the weight.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Vagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really nice

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
Mumbai has had 60 years to sort out the problems with the Victorian sewers and later additions.In 1991 they attempted to lay a new sewer line near Malibar Hills.As usual the contractor went bust and then street people moved into the pipes.Because they had been there for over a year, they got squatters rights and the coperation of Mumbai had go to court to get them out of their pipes before the work could continue...! There is no excuse for what goes in Mumbai in Monsoon.The dumping of thousands of tone raw sewage,toxic garbage and dead animal carcasses in to the bay is beyond the pale.Another thing the Shiv Sena have never ever said a word about it either.The so-called protectors of Maharashtra......! The Indian government would rather go to war with Pakistan than clean up all the rubbish thats slowly clogging up its arteries.....
*WARNING* not for the faint hearted, filthy India in pictures

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictu...reactions.html
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:00 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vagatorian
*WARNING* not for the faint hearted, filthy India in pictures

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictu...reactions.html

Awful - my pet hate, is the spitting that really repulses me.
"The Goan Gob" Ugh" I have seen Dr. Dukles telling locals off for doing it outside his hospital.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Awful - my pet hate, is the spitting that really repulses me.
"The Goan Gob" Ugh" I have seen Dr. Dukles telling locals off for doing it outside his hospital.
Agree it is an awful habit not seen in 'polite society'. I personally can't remember particularly seeing women spitting whatever their social group. Others may have.

That person writing the clip must have spent a long time getting the worst photos from Varanasi. We went there some years ago to put ashes, and I was not looking forward to it. However out in the boat in the evening with the fires burning in the distance it seemed calm and peaceful and somehow 'right'.

There were plenty of fish in the river.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:12 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Agree it is an awful habit not seen in 'polite society'. I personally can't remember particularly seeing women spitting whatever their social group. Others may have.

That person writing the clip must have spent a long time getting the worst photos from Varanasi. We went there some years ago to put ashes, and I was not looking forward to it. However out in the boat in the evening with the fires burning in the distance it seemed calm and peaceful and somehow 'right'.

There were plenty of fish in the river.
I don't think I would eat the fish or drink the water there though - I never did like the taste of offal !

It does seem like the guy writing the article has a hannibalistic and morbid fascination for photographing corpses - his point was made after about two of them - so I find it rather worrying that he appears to have spent a large portion of his holiday searching for rotting dead things - a bit psycho if you ask me - Clarice!!!

Dread - x
Old Mar 16th 2012, 4:29 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Black market gangs join the iPad stampede to ship tablets to India (as enterprising teen, 16, jumps back 14 spots in queue for £300)
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:10 pm

India in uproar over death of Baby Falak – an unwanted child handed into hospital covered with HUMAN BITE MARKS
A child abuse case that has gripped India for months took a tragic turn last night, with the death of an abandoned baby girl. Doctors in Delhi said the battered two-year-old suffered a fatal heart attack.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ITE-MARKS.html
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to allTina1 is a name known to all

India in uproar over death of Baby Falak – an unwanted child handed into hospital covered with HUMAN BITE MARKS
A child abuse case that has gripped India for months took a tragic turn last night, with the death of an abandoned baby girl. Doctors in Delhi said the battered two-year-old suffered a fatal heart attack.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ITE-MARKS.html
Utter b******s!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Veritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really nice

From Daily Mail 19.3.2012 - Aid to India to be axed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-handout.html
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Veritas1
From Daily Mail 19.3.2012 - Aid to India to be axed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-handout.html
... but not yet!

AndyD 8-)₹₹
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:55 pm

http://zeenews.india.com/news/goa/cc...on_764936.html

Panaji: Over three dozen CCTV cameras will soon start capturing all the movements and activities on Goa's crowded beaches, as part of state government's nitiative in curbing illegalities on the shores.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

I see they have got that b**tard in France who killed the school kids and the 3 soldiers.He claims he acted for Al Quada. He is surrounded in a house in Toulouse and has already shot two coppers who knocked on his door !
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:41 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17456541

Mohammed Merah, the man believed to be the gunman on a scooter who killed seven people in south-western France,

France gunman 'set to kill again'
French prosecutors say the Toulouse shooting suspect, now surrounded in his flat, planned more killings and admits being trained by al-Qaeda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.