Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Christmas & New Years Eve in Goa.

Christmas & New Years Eve in Goa.

Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Shasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christmas & New Years Eve in Goa.

Originally Posted by noni
If the SunBurn Fest does have an extended period, the domestic tourists will be like ants around the place.

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year.
I really am quite shocked to read not just this post but also others that refer to "domestic tourists" in this way. It almost suggests that somehow foreigners have more rights to be tourists or long stayers in goa than other Indians have.

It's a bit like the Polish, let's say, carping on and on about the "domestic" tourists in Blackpool. I don't understand it...if you don't like Indians being in India, then there can only be one answer...
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:15 pm
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shasha
I really am quite shocked to read not just this post but also others that refer to "domestic tourists" in this way. It almost suggests that somehow foreigners have more rights to be tourists or long stayers in goa than other Indians have.

It's a bit like the Polish, let's say, carping on and on about the "domestic" tourists in Blackpool. I don't understand it...if you don't like Indians being in India, then there can only be one answer...
You are so correct, could you please sort out the immigrants in the UK.
The domestic tourist have a right to visit Goa too, just wish they would stop being so <snip>.

Last edited by Sue; Jul 31st 2012 at 3:02 am. Reason: Please don't use that term on BE. Many thanks
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha for me tourism is tourism, it doesnt matter where you originate from. What matters most of all is safety and being safe to enjoy yourself, along with friends and family.The Sunburn Festival in Candolim, plus the seasonal influx who come to escape the cities and enjoy the sea air is too much for the internal infrastructure of North Goa to cope with.Its getting dangerous and its a recipe for a future disaster waiting to happen.The Sunburn Festival attracts thousands and thousands and because its on TV now, it will only get bigger.Thats a reality i have seen with UK festivals when they become famous.Glastonbury is one example.From 60,000 to 175,000 in ten years ! The festival needs to re-locate to a place which will allow this growth.Candolim is too small and the access roads are to small to cope if there was a major disaster such as a fire or an act of terrorism.Last year the pollution and congestion on the roads was beyond imagination. As i stated earlier we ended up trapped in Arpora.We intended to walk the 4 kilometers to the party but it was impossible.Every square inch along the roads were jammed with bikes and cars.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
Sasha for me tourism is tourism, it doesnt matter where you originate from. What matters most of all is safety and being safe to enjoy yourself, along with friends and family.The Sunburn Festival in Candolim, plus the seasonal influx who come to escape the cities and enjoy the sea air is too much for the internal infrastructure of North Goa to cope with.Its getting dangerous and its a recipe for a future disaster waiting to happen.The Sunburn Festival attracts thousands and thousands and because its on TV now, it will only get bigger.Thats a reality i have seen with UK festivals when they become famous.Glastonbury is one example.From 60,000 to 175,000 in ten years ! The festival needs to re-locate to a place which will allow this growth.Candolim is too small and the access roads are to small to cope if there was a major disaster such as a fire or an act of terrorism.Last year the pollution and congestion on the roads was beyond imagination. As i stated earlier we ended up trapped in Arpora.We intended to walk the 4 kilometers to the party but it was impossible.Every square inch along the roads were jammed with bikes and cars.
I am sure you are absolutely right PJ, but my grouse and I would suspect also Shasha is different; it is the attitude of referring to Indian tourists as "ants" or "savages". This is unacceptable.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:15 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there's only one answer!

But think of the cost of shipping 1.21 billion Indians to other parts of the world to live and work, alongside the tens of millions who have already done so.

Good idea though Sasha.............. but too expensive I fear?

Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five

But think of the cost of shipping 1.21 billion Indians to other parts of the world to live and work, alongside the tens of millions who have already done so.

J5, humans have been migrating around the world since the British were in their caves. Most though have progressed beyond the colonialist ways of keeping the 'natives' in their place.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

Ryan Air probably and with a push Easy Jet....! Although Easy Jet might be busy soon moving people out of Greece.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ha! Ha! Funny but not what i meant. I'm rather tired of people on this forum referring to Indian tourists very much as the "other". Don't like Indians? Then don't be in India...Much as I would say Don't like the English or things aobut the UK? Find somewhere else to live then...
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

no issue with what you say and completely agree about it being hazardous etc. My objection is really to how some people on this forum refer to / think about Indian tourists or even Indian people which I find unacceptable. It does make me wonder why so many of these same people choose to spend so much time there!!! Or is it just about cheap beer (lesws cheap than it used to be of course...)?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I suspect that quite a number of people who decided to spend their golden years in Goa didn't take into account the economic reforms and the effect they had on India.Still its Its no excuse for being naive around greedy politicians and land sharks offering paradise, but then again it happened in Spain too.Im no fan of Delhi though and i think half of the Lok Saba should be in Broadmoor dosed up on Largactyl or something stronger !As for The British High Commission looking after UK citizens interests in Goa.......a joke in bad taste like the ones earlier on this forum.Lots of my close friends bought in Goa thinking they had somewhere to go over the Winter and when the goal posts were moved when they brought in the 2 month rule, it left a bad taste, which soon turned to bitterness.What do you do when you have invested most of your life savings in a property that you suddenly find out isn't yours anymore.You would be pi**ed off too i suspect.The High Commission in Panjim should be subject to a Parliamentary Inquiry into its links with corrupt builders/politicians and The Registry Scam and the usage of FEMA to attract buyers.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suspect that quite a number of people who decided to spend their golden years in Goa didn't take into account the economic reforms and the effect they had on India.Still its Its no excuse for being naive around greedy politicians and land sharks offering paradise, but then again it happened in Spain too.Im no fan of Delhi though and i think half of the Lok Saba should be in Broadmoor dosed up on Largactyl or something stronger !As for The British High Commission looking after UK citizens interests in Goa.......a joke in bad taste like the ones earlier on this forum.Lots of my close friends bought in Goa thinking they had somewhere to go over the Winter and when the goal posts were moved when they brought in the 2 month rule, it left a bad taste, which soon turned to bitterness.What do you do when you have invested most of your life savings in a property that you suddenly find out isn't yours anymore.You would be pi**ed off too i suspect.The High Commission in Panjim should be subject to a Parliamentary Inquiry into its links with corrupt builders/politicians and The Registry Scam and the usage of FEMA to attract buyers.
PJ with respect you are right in the above; but most of those that Shasha is referring to, who put continuous negative and unpleasant posts about Indians/immigrants/browns, do not have these problems, they either rent, or come for 6 months or not at all! To them one bad brown and the entire billion are the same.
Do they have any general interest in India, Indian people and its terrain or culture? Or just the beach, the sunbeds, alcohol and other Brits. Do they even try to speak a little of the local language to be part of the 'locals'?
I must say that there are many exceptions to these posters on the forum.
Final question why did this pleasant thread have to be spoilt by this negativity? (as usual).

Last edited by Bipat; Jul 30th 2012 at 5:33 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:21 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Ha! Funny but not what i meant. I'm rather tired of people on this forum referring to Indian tourists very much as the "other". Don't like Indians? Then don't be in India...Much as I would say Don't like the English or things aobut the UK? Find somewhere else to live then...
Tell that to the likes of Abu Hmaza, his buddy Abu Mutada and all the other hate preaching terrorists living as benefit scroungers in the UK !!

Dread - x
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:02 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

On a perhaps abstract note, if I were a Polish person living in Blackpool, or an Indian living in Blackpool, or anyone else of any origin living in Blackpool, I would have a very negative attitude to the domestic tourists who go there and would totally resent their presence.
My reason for such resentment ? - Blackpool attracts massive numbers of the low rent chavs, the pxssed up hen and stag nights and the binge drinking nightmare British tourist. Of course, with the low rent pxssed up chav comes the accompanying behaviours of spitting, puking and pxssing in the street or other public place, the street fights, loud and foul language, molestation, drunk drivers, and a generally vile demeanour all round.

Strangely enough, during holiday times, Goa tends to attract equally large numbers (in fact probably greater numbers) of the Indian equivalent to the low rent British binge drinking chav, and the behaviours shown by many (But certainly NOT ALL) domestic tourists these days almost mirrors that seen in Blackpool of a weekend, ie spitting, pxssing and puking in public, loud obnoxious behaviour, street fights, molestation, drunk drivers, and a generally vile demeanour all round!

Personally I am of the opinion that low rent chavs spoil any destination by their demeanour and behaviours, regardless of what country that destination sits in.

In my opinion it is neither about the nationality of the people who live or happen to be at a location, or about the nationality or origin of the tourist who happens to go there - it is about the impact on the decent people who happen to be at any location (whether resident or tourist) at a given time when the en mass arrival of the drunken, obnoxious, binge drinking chav becomes an unpleasant blot on the otherwise wonderful landscape - regardless of whether those chavs are British, Indian, or whatever nationality.

In fact here is a little funny or you - my friends who are a couple of full Indian birth and origin, moved to the UK 4 years ago. They live just outside Blackpool and he works at his cousin's restaurant in the middle of Blackpool. They both incessantly complain about the British tourists who go there (ie the low rent chavs) - and OMG the terminology they use to describe them is far worse than the terms 'savage' and 'ant' !!

Bottom line - British chav or Indian chav on holiday - they are fundamentally the same which sure ain;t pretty !!!
Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Jul 31st 2012 at 5:05 am.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
On a perhaps abstract note, if I were a Polish person living in Blackpool, or an Indian living in Blackpool, or anyone else of any origin living in Blackpool, I would have a very negative attitude to the domestic tourists who go there and would totally resent their presence.
My reason for such resentment ? - Blackpool attracts massive numbers of the low rent chavs, the pxssed up hen and stag nights and the binge drinking nightmare British tourist. Of course, with the low rent pxssed up chav comes the accompanying behaviours of spitting, puking and pxssing in the street or other public place, the street fights, loud and foul language, molestation, drunk drivers, and a generally vile demeanour all round.

Strangely enough, during holiday times, Goa tends to attract equally large numbers (in fact probably greater numbers) of the Indian equivalent to the low rent British binge drinking chav, and the behaviours shown by many (But certainly NOT ALL) domestic tourists these days almost mirrors that seen in Blackpool of a weekend, ie spitting, pxssing and puking in public, loud obnoxious behaviour, street fights, molestation, drunk drivers, and a generally vile demeanour all round!

Personally I am of the opinion that low rent chavs spoil any destination by their demeanour and behaviours, regardless of what country that destination sits in.

In my opinion it is neither about the nationality of the people who live or happen to be at a location, or about the nationality or origin of the tourist who happens to go there - it is about the impact on the decent people who happen to be at any location (whether resident or tourist) at a given time when the en mass arrival of the drunken, obnoxious, binge drinking chav becomes an unpleasant blot on the otherwise wonderful landscape - regardless of whether those chavs are British, Indian, or whatever nationality.

In fact here is a little funny or you - my friends who are a couple of full Indian birth and origin, moved to the UK 4 years ago. They live just outside Blackpool and he works at his cousin's restaurant in the middle of Blackpool. They both incessantly complain about the British tourists who go there (ie the low rent chavs) - and OMG the terminology they use to describe them is far worse than the terms 'savage' and 'ant' !!

Bottom line - British chav or Indian chav on holiday - they are fundamentally the same which sure ain;t pretty !!!
Dread - x
Agree with your above post Dread.
The problem on this forum is that an obvious distaste for "Indians", "domestic tourists" is directed by some posters at all these people, not just the "chav" types. The assumption that if some Indian people behave badly this is the norm.
I presume your friends have made their lives in the UK, speak English, mix in with the locals and don't refer to the 'British' in bad terms. This is the difference.

As a pleasant post: up early, since 5am, looking through the Argos catalogue for his Christmas presents with my grandson, (having a sleep-over).

Last edited by Bipat; Jul 31st 2012 at 6:10 am.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:42 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bipat
Agree with your above post Dread. The problem on this forum is that the distaste for "Indians", "domestic tourists" is directed by some poters at all, not just the "chav" types.
No distaste, just couldnt eat a whole one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.