Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

bbc radio 4/goa property market

bbc radio 4/goa property market

Old May 24th 2008, 6:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bbc radio 4/goa property market

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi poppetjay,

If i let you have the last word, will that diffuse the situation?

kind regards
douglas
Not if you keep having the last word ..... no
Old May 24th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

What do you mean by :-

If i (should be capital I ) let you have the last word, will that diffuse the situation?

Why can you give me the last word - it is not up to you - whatever you may think. to Douglas in the third person.
Old May 24th 2008, 7:35 pm
Banned

renegade is on a distinguished road

what has happened to this goa forum lately ????????? i havent been on here for ages,when i first found this site it was at a time when myself and the missus were seriously contemplating purchasing a property in goa,,i had been travelling there for many years and like most people fell in love with the place and thought it would be a good idea to buy a house in the place we love,,i came across this site and in particular a chap called douglas who had been hung out to dry by the authorities after purchasing a property and then trying to register it in his name etc etc etc,,,and to be honest im damn glad that he posted all the info on here,otherwise im pretty sure we would have ended up in the same boat
yesterday i posted a new thread (not knowing there was one already on here on the same subject) to let people know what i heard on the wireless,,,today i take another look and cant believe that this thread has ended up being a thread where people can come and snipe at each other and slag each other off,,now i do understand that many people must be stressed out etc etc at being caught up in all this property purchasing mayhem but at the same time lets not resort to slagging individuals off regardless of what one thinks about anothers remarks or posts,,this is not the place to do it,,,this is supposed to be an information portal for expats worldwide
TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE
Old May 24th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

river gipsy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Very Good....I liked that.
Hi Remy,

Gad you liked it,just tried to put a bit off fun in to a not very funny situation..

Hope you and Janice and kids are well .

Take care.

River gipsy.
Old May 25th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renegade
what has happened to this goa forum lately ????????? i havent been on here for ages,when i first found this site it was at a time when myself and the missus were seriously contemplating purchasing a property in goa,,i had been travelling there for many years and like most people fell in love with the place and thought it would be a good idea to buy a house in the place we love,,i came across this site and in particular a chap called douglas who had been hung out to dry by the authorities after purchasing a property and then trying to register it in his name etc etc etc,,,and to be honest im damn glad that he posted all the info on here,otherwise im pretty sure we would have ended up in the same boat
yesterday i posted a new thread (not knowing there was one already on here on the same subject) to let people know what i heard on the wireless,,,today i take another look and cant believe that this thread has ended up being a thread where people can come and snipe at each other and slag each other off,,now i do understand that many people must be stressed out etc etc at being caught up in all this property purchasing mayhem but at the same time lets not resort to slagging individuals off regardless of what one thinks about anothers remarks or posts,,this is not the place to do it,,,this is supposed to be an information portal for expats worldwide
TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE
Hi Renegade, i agree with you 100%, but when others on this thread are tryin g to come up with different approaches to try and make people take notice i.e. radio/4, ITV , lobbying MPs we getting put down, most of us have been down the avenues Douglas has quoted(which has been very informative but not worked) so we are trying other ways. i think everyone on this site values any information posted but when at the end of the day if its not being heard we need to use other ideas whether people agree or not at least we are trying and whether it be fruitless remains to be seen.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Hi Peoples,

I totally agree with renegade and in many circumstances we must agree to disagree on certain points of action.......thats just the way it is.
By all means have an open debate about things and try and see each others points of view but lets not resort to immature and childish posting. Its beginning to look like Bebo.

The whole situation in Goa is frustrating to say the least, and at the end of the day its going to boil down to how stringent the Government is going to be in enforcing FEMA with regards to FN property purchase.
Alas most FNs have unfortunately breached FEMA and their fate lies in the governments hands...its a case of wait and see...they might go after the big fish (Russian Mafia Land Grabbers) and let the small ones slip through.

For those of you who where Resident at time of Purchase/Registration and can prove this, then you have a good case as you purchased in accordance with FEMA at the time and i think eventually your purchase will be ok albeit you will now be penalised by much stricter visa restrictions.

For those of you who purchased on a tourist Visa, the best you can hope for IMHO is a 5 year renewable lease although this does leave you at the unscrupulous hands of your Builder/Developer and you most probably will never obtain freehold title of your purchase. Please don't try and register (if the register opens to FNs) your purchase whilst on a tourist visa as you will only leave yourself open for investigation and at the mercy of the Government.

Although FEMA doesnt mention tourist visas, many sites including the Global Property Guide have said its illegal to buy property on one, you also can't obtain residency on one as a tourist is simply that....a tourist, and you don't qualify under FEMAs interpretation of residency, ie. intention to stay, not take up work outside India etc etc.

So theres my take on things for what its worth and i do have to reiterate what Douglas has been saying, make sure you have adhered to Indian law regarding property purchase before making waves for yourself.

Regards, Love and Peace,
Remy

Last edited by Remy-Ireland; May 25th 2008 at 9:31 am.
Old May 25th 2008, 10:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

From an outsiders point of view, you do all seem to be up against it at the moment and you have to try all you can to attempt to resolve the situation. But you won't do that by getting bad temepered between yourselves.

Everyone has an important contribution to make here, whether it be negative or positive. You just need to pick out all the important stuff from both sides and use it to your advantage. With the negative input you are forewarned as to the difficulty of the task before you so this may help as well
Old May 25th 2008, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: bbc radio 4/goa property market

Hi Remy
There is nothing in FEMA or on the RBI site that states anything about buying on a tourist visa and has these are the only laws we have to go by then we should only quote what is actually written in them.The Global property guide is not Indian Law and are often incorrect
With regards to you advising people not to try and register their property once the register is open,I don't think you are in any position to advise any one on this matter,You are not a lawyer,this again is supperstion,your opinion and again is not written in FEMA or RBI.
Please stick to actual fact and only what is written in FEMA-RBI this is what matters not what is written in any local rag or property magazine.
It was the world wide property guide back in 2005 that stated that India was a good investment
regards
keep the faith

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Peoples,

I totally agree with renegade and in many circumstances we must agree to disagree on certain points of action.......thats just the way it is.
By all means have an open debate about things and try and see each others points of view but lets not resort to immature and childish posting. Its beginning to look like Bebo.

The whole situation in Goa is frustrating to say the least, and at the end of the day its going to boil down to how stringent the Government is going to be in enforcing FEMA with regards to FN property purchase.
Alas most FNs have unfortunately breached FEMA and their fate lies in the governments hands...its a case of wait and see...they might go after the big fish (Russian Mafia Land Grabbers) and let the small ones slip through.

For those of you who where Resident at time of Purchase/Registration and can prove this, then you have a good case as you purchased in accordance with FEMA at the time and i think eventually your purchase will be ok albeit you will now be penalised by much stricter visa restrictions.

For those of you who purchased on a tourist Visa, the best you can hope for IMHO is a 5 year renewable lease although this does leave you at the unscrupulous hands of your Builder/Developer and you most probably will never obtain freehold title of your purchase. Please don't try and register (if the register opens to FNs) your purchase whilst on a tourist visa as you will only leave yourself open for investigation and at the mercy of the Government.

Although FEMA doesnt mention tourist visas, many sites including the Global Property Guide have said its illegal to buy property on one, you also can't obtain residency on one as a tourist is simply that....a tourist, and you don't qualify under FEMAs interpretation of residency, ie. intention to stay, not take up work outside India etc etc.

So theres my take on things for what its worth and i do have to reiterate what Douglas has been saying, make sure you have adhered to Indian law regarding property purchase before making waves for yourself.

Regards, Love and Peace,
Remy
Old May 26th 2008, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56
Hi Remy
There is nothing in FEMA or on the RBI site that states anything about buying on a tourist visa and has these are the only laws we have to go by then we should only quote what is actually written in them.The Global property guide is not Indian Law and are often incorrect
With regards to you advising people not to try and register their property once the register is open,I don't think you are in any position to advise any one on this matter,You are not a lawyer,this again is supperstion,your opinion and again is not written in FEMA or RBI.
Please stick to actual fact and only what is written in FEMA-RBI this is what matters not what is written in any local rag or property magazine.
It was the world wide property guide back in 2005 that stated that India was a good investment
regards
keep the faith
So you can become a resident fn on a tourist visa ????
because FEMA does say only Resident fns can legally purchase property.

Tongue in cheek.....have been through this before and reiterating what i said....IMHO Its madness to buy on a tourist visa but dont let my opinion stop you.

Regards,
Remy

Last edited by Remy-Ireland; May 26th 2008 at 6:08 am.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

David Gardiner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renegade
hi,for those interested,i was listening to radio 4 today on my way to somerset and to my amazement there was a big discussion on the indian property market,in particular foreign nationals purchasing property,i think on the bbc web-site there is a listen again service,so maybe you can listen back to the whole show,,they were basically saying that it is totally illegal for a foreign national to purchase property in goa,,same as what douglas has been saying for a long time and others on this forum,it was the first time that i have actually heard for myself a minister from india explaining the situation etc etc,,,,,,,,,i was very lucky that i found this site before i took the plunge into the murky world of indian property purchasing,,,,as a result i never purchased,,,the show also pointed out that lots of non goan indians are buying up huge chunks of goa and that banning foreign nationals would not actually make a lot of difference,anyway i thought that someone on here might appreciate my post,,try and listen again on the bbc site,,,radio 4 23/05/08
be lucky
Do you know what the show was called?
Old May 26th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

catpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nice

It was You and Yours. There is a separate thread on it.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:44 pm
Banned

i think there will be a follow up to the original you and yours show,also the great british news icon who goes by the name of trevor (celebrity ) mcdonald will also be doing some kind of celeb/ goa/ housing meltdown documentary soap show !!!!
complete waste of time if you want my opinion(which b4 anyone slags me off i am entitled to an opinion) i did hear a rumour that itv have been auditioning for a new programme,called,,,wait for it----im a FN get me out of goa lively---
should make great viewing
Old May 27th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Bit slow on the uptake Renegade thats was discussed on the site 2 weeks ago!!! dont know what your position is with all whats going on , are you by any chance related to Mr Douglas as you have exactly the same attitude as him???? yes everyones opinion counts as Mitzyboy said, but its no joking matter when you have worked your butt off for 20 years and now are going to lose everything.
As anyone wondered why this site is so quiet, prehaps its because people are sick of remarks like yours and others and have started to communicate by PM and are trying their hardess to do something whether it works or not remains to been seen.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Grady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poppetjay
there you go again douglas, yes people are angry and some of us have every right to be, it does not stop me living my life to the full,
You may have superior knowledge of the property laws etc but just dont keep rubbing it in our faces that you are more superior than us, at the end of the day the information you post maybe relevent to our different cases and we thank you but we are trying to come up with some different approaches that may or not work , ie bbc radio 4, trevor macdonald, Mps whatever dont keep knocking us down if we dont try we will never know.
Whilst I have sympathy with the situation that you and many others find themselves in, you appear to be just another victim of circumstance in the overseas property purchase debacle.

What do you expect will happen if you highlight your plight to the media?
Do you think the British Government will intervene?
Do you think that the Indian Government will change their laws to accommodate you?
Do you think that the poor sods that bought property in Spain and had their houses bulldozed and their gardens confiscated got anymore than commiserations?

Time for a reality check.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:16 am
Banned

hi poopetjay,whilst i respect your comments and everyone elses on this subject,the fact remains that in reality you are dealing with a country that at the very best of times things only happen when backsheesh is applied to any kind of deal,whether it be housing or not,also the country is so corrupt that anybody wishing to enter into a contract to buy property must realise that this will be one of the most risky situations you could put yourself in,,,,,,as the saying goes an english mans home is his castle,,,,and as is now happening peoples addiction to owning there own home in a foreign country is not the rosie dream they had in mind,,
i do have sympathy with people who are caught up in this mess but also i think people are very naive at the least to think that buying a property in india would be a straight forward process,,i mean you cant even get a taxi in goa without the driver trying to rip you off !!!!!!! im afraid youre naivety has got the better of you,,,,or maybe you were in it for the profit making,,,if so then its greed that has got the better of you,,,either way all the campaigning in the world is not going to make a single bit of difference to the way the indian authorities will deal with this matter
and youre anger with douglas,which now seems to be with me also is due to your own naivety/greed,,,,,,,the truth always hurts as they say
good day to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.