Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:41 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Originally Posted by BritSu
Yes But I Sent it BEFORE the rate was brilliant as I use it only to live on while I am here now. So I am scuppered as no money here now and as I have to work for any income and my living, having no other income and no pensions, etc either so it's fine for people that have savings but not in my case!
Such a difficult time for you - hope you can sort it. At least you can go into the Panjim office and mither them - no doubt you will come out nothing is straight forward out there as we have all found out to our cost. Good luck anyway.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Val0404 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, today it was my second try to talk to Axis Bank Panaji. I spend there about 2 hours trying to understand why my account was frozen as my 1 year business visa expires only in November. Here are the answeres that I'va got from General Manager Vikas Jarial:
-My visa is not short term and it expires only in November.
-When you opened the account (btw 3 year ago) you were on 6-months visa and that one has expired.
-But at that time this instruction of RBI (that foreigners can open accounts only for the period of the duration of visa) did not exist. This clause was not mentioned in the papers that I signed with the bank. How can this RBI instruction have retrospective effect?
-This RBI rule existed long before 2010 and our bank didn't follow it. We were penalized by RBI and now we have frozen all NRO accounts.
-How can I get my money back?
-Only after getting approval from RBI your funds will be repatriated back to your country.
Situation is ridiculous...
Maybe someone can advice good lawyer dealing with such kind of things?
And guys who already wrote to RBI: did u get any responce?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 12:33 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Val0404
Well, today it was my second try to talk to Axis Bank Panaji. I spend there about 2 hours trying to understand why my account was frozen as my 1 year business visa expires only in November. Here are the answeres that I'va got from General Manager Vikas Jarial:
-When you opened the account (btw 3 year ago) you were on 6-months visa and that one has expired.
-But at that time this instruction of RBI (that foreigners can open accounts only for the period of the duration of visa) did not exist. This clause was not mentioned in the papers that I signed with the bank. How can this RBI instruction have retrospective effect?
-This RBI rule existed long before 2010 and our bank didn't follow it. We were penalized by RBI and now we have frozen all NRO accounts.
-Only after getting approval from RBI your funds will be repatriated back to your country.
How can this RBI instruction have retrospective effect? just like they did in India with the property problems. Anything goes, and the sooner we get used to it the better.
Have written yesterday to RBI but it will take time to get from UK to Panjim and then will probably lie around for months. Will advise when I/IF I hear from them. I also emailed, but they did say White Paper !!

pm Dread she will give you a very good and reliable Advocate, I cannot find his details for you, they must be in Goa.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Val0404 is an unknown quantity at this point

Noni, thank you for your answer. I do agree with u 100%, it is just difficult for me to get used to Indian reality...
I will really appreciate it if Dread can give me contacts of a reliable Advocate.
P.S. And now I will follow your main advice: will remain calm and will drink a glass of wine!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

The 6 month rule for foreigner tourist accounts has always been the case.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:17 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Noni, thank you for your answer. I do agree with u 100%, it is just difficult for me to get used to Indian reality...
I will really appreciate it if Dread can give me contacts of a reliable Advocate.
P.S. And now I will follow your main advice: will remain calm and will drink a glass of wine!
Check your private messages Val - I have sent you some contacts for decent advocates.

Dread - x
Old Jul 5th 2013, 5:26 pm

Val dealing the Indian ways needs a case of wine, followed by a bottle of Honey Bee. Just don't let the B ds get you down!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by noni
How can this RBI instruction have retrospective effect? just like they did in India with the property problems. Anything goes, and the sooner we get used to it the better.
Have written yesterday to RBI but it will take time to get from UK to Panjim and then will probably lie around for months. Will advise when I/IF I hear from them. I also emailed, but they did say White Paper !!

pm Dread she will give you a very good and reliable Advocate, I cannot find his details for you, they must be in Goa.
Noni please email it to me and i`ll post it here registered!!

Last edited by msj5; Jul 5th 2013 at 6:16 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Chameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really niceChameleons is just really nice

Originally Posted by msj5
Good plan!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by msj5
Thanks - on its way owe you 0ne.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks - on its way owe you 0ne.

In registered mail today noni!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Veritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really nice

Hi - I hope this link to the RBI is of some help - these are the latest FAQs on this topic I could find. Certainly these regulations have been in force for many years.

http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/FAQview.aspx?id=30

Veri
Old Jul 6th 2013, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Veritas1
Hi - I hope this link to the RBI is of some help - these are the latest FAQs on this topic I could find. Certainly these regulations have been in force for many years.

http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/FAQview.aspx?id=30

Veri
Unfortunately the banks over the last ten years have just been happy to keep our money, and keep quiet about the RBI regulationsl.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Veritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really niceVeritas1 is just really nice

Unfortunately the banks over the last ten years have just been happy to keep our money, and keep quiet about the RBI regulationsl.
I quite agree - these banks need effective regulation and it should be mandatory for them to reveal full operational details of accounts when they are opened. Its a pity that these regs are a real deterrent to repeat tourist visits, particularly now that the two month gap has gone.

Veri
Old Jul 6th 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Veritas1
I quite agree - these banks need effective regulation and it should be mandatory for them to reveal full operational details of accounts when they are opened. Its a pity that these regs are a real deterrent to repeat tourist visits, particularly now that the two month gap has gone.

Veri
I expect the Staff got commission on the accounts they opened and the banks being greedy just wanted to keep out cash, to have the interest. They should at least let us have had time to have withdrawn the money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.