Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Originally Posted by noni
HI, WELCOME BritSu - will you please post your story again on Visa thread. Life is a Bitch in India now with all the sneaky changes of rules. Wish we could do the same to the Indians in this country perhaps their Governments would react differently to us. Just imagine saying their properties are illegal when they have been registered at the Land Registry, close their bank account. FAIR I think not.
Noni, I am spending time messing about with this forum while photocopying for the 4th time copious documents to send by courier to OH's Indian bank. He is just transferring an account to a different branch.
"Indians are driven mad by India also", he points out.

To be practical, do you have anyone in India that you can give power of attorney to? It can be done from UK if attested by a notary. I showed the letter you received to OH, he also suggests you include reference to your illness in any letters, this is usually taken into consideration in such matters.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:15 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Noni, I am spending time messing about with this forum while photocopying for the 4th time copious documents to send by courier to OH's Indian bank. He is just transferring an account to a different branch.
"Indians are driven mad by India also", he points out.

To be practical, do you have anyone in India that you can give power of attorney to? It can be done from UK if attested by a notary. I showed the letter you received to OH, he also suggests you include reference to your illness in any letters, this is usually taken into consideration in such matters.
Thank you for your advice - have spoken to some people out there, looks as if I can only do what Andy advises. Just my luck - but this problem is the least of my worries at the moment. However much money you have you cannot buy, health or happiness.

just received this !

"The Reserve Bank has mandated all banks that mainatain foreign national accounts in India to block the accounts and transfer the funds back to the country of origin after completeing certain formalities only if their visa has run out. The visa submitted while opening the bank account

If the visa runs out the account has to be closed and funds transferred back.

With regards to the sale of apartment , to the best of my knowledge no bank would accept the sale proceeds in the bank account. I need to check this out with nationalised banks . HDFC , ICICI & Axis is a no."
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:18 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Write to the RBI for permission to close the account and repatriate the money:

Reserve Bank of India
7th Floor, Gera Imperium-II
Patto, Panaji -
403 001,
India

f.a.o. General Manager & Officer-in-Charge : Shri Jaikish

AndyD 8-)
Hi Andy
Do you have an email address for these people. thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:04 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

HDFC CUSTOMERS

If you have a account at HDFC it may be advantageous to try and withdraw yours funds ASAP......I have just heard of one of their customers being notified that their account is to be frozen as well.

Dread - x
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Hi Andy
Do you have an email address for these people. thanks
Their website has a HelpDesk address as [email protected]

AndyD 8-)
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Their website has a HelpDesk address as [email protected]

AndyD 8-)
Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

Hi,

I am just back from a stress free holiday in civilised Canada and found this worrying post on the freezing of foreigner bank accounts, does anyone know if this ruling is now applicable to ALL Indian banks ? Below is my quote to Pengha from a previous thread on the subject "bank account if no longer resident" #10 . 04/13

Has anyone had any notification from the B.O.B ?

Thanks

RofS

"I had this conversation a couple of months ago with a B.O.B manager and according the manager it was OK to keep an account open providing there were transactions happening in a fiscal year. The only problem was if you took ill and couldn't return to Goa/India the bank, would have to appeal to the RBI for repatriation of funds...
I was also advised not to put ANY money into long term or fixed rate accounts and to keep any interest earned below 10,000Rs per fiscal year as this would arose suspicion..."
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to submit my KYC forms next week into our local HDFC bank,so i'll ask the question when i'm there.

John
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:14 pm

[QUOTE=Return of Santan;10782743]Hi,

I am just back from a stress free holiday in civilised Canada and found this worrying post on the freezing of foreigner bank accounts, does anyone know if this ruling is now applicable to ALL Indian banks ? Below is my quote to Pengha from a previous thread on the subject "bank account if no longer resident" #10 . 04/13

Thanks

RofS
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

Welcome back - see my post No.32 from an Axis Manager. Will be all banks when they get around to it.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:55 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Welcome back - see my post No.32 from an Axis Manager. Will be all banks when they get around to it.
Noni,

Did you receive the notification in the form of a letter to your UK address?

Just wondering how I will receive my notification, that's all.

H.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by hemingway
Noni,

Did you receive the notification in the form of a letter to your UK address?

Just wondering how I will receive my notification, that's all.

H.
Hi Hem - I had an email from the bank.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:30 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Return of Santan
Hi,

Thanks

RofS

"I had this conversation a couple of months ago with a B.O.B manager and according the manager it was OK to keep an account open providing there were transactions happening in a fiscal year. The only problem was if you took ill and couldn't return to Goa/India the bank, would have to appeal to the RBI for repatriation of funds...
I was also advised not to put ANY money into long term or fixed rate accounts and to keep any interest earned below 10,000Rs per fiscal year as this would arose suspicion..."
In view of the now "many" examples quoted on here in the last few days, along with my frequent quotes of THE ACTUAL BLOODY REGULATIONS........ (niggled at/qualified by Andy, of course)

Why exactly should the Bank of Baroda (for the benefit of those not into code breaking) be an exception?

Shit was always going to happen, and now it is.

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by johnny five
In view of the now "many" examples quoted on here in the last few days, along with my frequent quotes of THE ACTUAL BLOODY REGULATIONS........ (niggled at/qualified by Andy, of course)

Why exactly should the Bank of Baroda (for the benefit of those not into code breaking) be an exception?

Shit was always going to happen, and now it is.

and we can't say you didn't warn us.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

GermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately, I have to say I am not surprised by this at all.
I'm just glad I followed my inner voice back in February and closed all my personal accounts.
Can't say I've seen it coming, but I'm happy I've listened to my gut feeling.

Just when you think things might get better, there's always a new curveball thrown at us.
I really hope all of you affected by this will be able to sort it all out for good.
Of course, it (again) means hassle, and is about as useful as a hole in the head...
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

I do feel for you all, they do like making things complicated. A greater notice peroid would have been nice, at the very least. I think I should be safe (for now) as I am a resident and also not on a tourist visa so crossed fingers. It's strange that I hadn't used my account for the last 8 years or so and a few months ago decided that I wanted to bring it out of dormancy as the exchange rate had improved, so I did the whole KYC thing and now have an international debit card so I hope if the worst happens I can at least remove the money via cash machines. I might pay them a visit and verify too (just in case)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.