Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Old Jul 1st 2013, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Originally Posted by babu1
....Anyway, ICICI today confirmed that my account there is a Resident Account for the moment, based on my last showing a Resident permit some years ago.

At the next KYC, which should be every 2 years, I'll be told to close the Resident Account (unless I miraculously have a Resident Permit) and open a Foreign Exchange Account. This will have a cheque book and Debit Card ( use in India only) and will only accept remittances of foreign exchange to rupees.

So, if I sell a vehicle, household possessions, house or come by rupees by any other means than inward remittance I won't be able to bank it, or that's what I understood...
So you really do need to get an X visa and a Residential Permit.

AndyD 8-)
Old Jul 1st 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by a_f_d
So you really do need to get an X visa and a Residential Permit.

AndyD 8-)
I have been reliably informed that you do not have to do 182 days consecutive to get a resident permit .........in excess of 182 days in any tax year.....but the thought of trying to explain this to the imbeciles at FRRO in Panjim just isn`t worth the effort at present.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 2:59 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Freeze on your Axis Bank
Account Number XXXXXXXXXXX3198
Dear Customer,

This is with reference to your Axis Bank account XXXXXXXXXXX3198 with Ponda . We understand that the short term visa you submitted while opening this account is no longer valid.

We must inform you that as per the regulations of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the accounts of foreign nationals visiting India for a short duration cannot be operational beyond 6 months of account opening or validity of Visa, whichever is earlier.

In light of the above regulatory requirement, we regret to inform you that we shall have to keep your account in freeze mode till we receive a copy of your valid visa and passport, along with the approval of your extension from Foreigner Registration Office (FRO) / Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) at the branch.

If you are unable to submit the same by July 31, 2013, we will be forced to close the account.

Kindly note, in case you have not received an approval for extension of your stay in India, you may repatriate the funds (********) from your account before July 31, 2013, post obtaining approval on a plain paper, from the Regional Office of RBI.

We regret the inconvenience caused and look forward to serving you in the future.

In case of any queries regarding this update, kindly get in touch with:

Just received.

O.K. Andy what can I do about this from the UK.

Last edited by noni; Jul 4th 2013 at 1:18 am.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by msj5
I have been reliably informed that you do not have to do 182 days consecutive to get a resident permit .........in excess of 182 days in any tax year.....but the thought of trying to explain this to the imbeciles at FRRO in Panjim just isn`t worth the effort at present.
Nothing to do with tax years, you need (and can get) an RP if you are on a visa which allows you to stay for >180 days* and you intend to do so.
* e.g. X, E, or B - you can't get an RP on a T visa (although lots of Americans with 10-year T's used to get them).
FN's who 'have property' in India should apply for X visas (I may have mentioned that before <vbg>)

AndyD 8-)
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by noni
Freeze on your Axis Bank
Dear Customer,

This is with reference to your Axis Bank account XXXXXXXXXXX3198 with Ponda . We understand that the short term visa you submitted while opening this account is no longer valid.

We must inform you that as per the regulations of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the accounts of foreign nationals visiting India for a short duration cannot be operational beyond 6 months of account opening or validity of Visa, whichever is earlier.

In light of the above regulatory requirement, we regret to inform you that we shall have to keep your account in freeze mode till we receive a copy of your valid visa and passport, along with the approval of your extension from Foreigner Registration Office (FRO) / Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) at the branch.

If you are unable to submit the same by July 31, 2013, we will be forced to close the account.

Kindly note, in case you have not received an approval for extension of your stay in India, you may repatriate the funds (INR 202826.07) from your account before July 31, 2013, post obtaining approval on a plain paper, from the Regional Office of RBI.

We regret the inconvenience caused and look forward to serving you in the future.

Just received.

Would applying for a 2 yr visa now solve the problem Andy?Just a thought NonI!
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Freeze on your Axis Bank
Account Number XXXXXXXXXXX3198 ....
Just received.

Write to the RBI for permission to close the account and repatriate the money:

Reserve Bank of India
7th Floor, Gera Imperium-II
Patto, Panaji -
403 001,
India

f.a.o. General Manager & Officer-in-Charge : Shri Jaikish

AndyD 8-)
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by msj5
Would applying for a 2 yr visa now solve the problem Andy?Just a thought NonI!
see my post which crossed yours.

AndyD 8-)
Old Jul 1st 2013, 6:25 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Write to the RBI for permission to close the account and repatriate the money:

Reserve Bank of India
7th Floor, Gera Imperium-II
Patto, Panaji -
403 001,
India

f.a.o. General Manager & Officer-in-Charge : Shri Jaikish

AndyD 8-)

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:50 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: Axis Freeze NRO Foreigner Bank Accounts

Freeze on your Axis Bank
Dear Customer,

Kindly note, in case you have not received an approval for extension of your stay in India, you may repatriate the funds (INR 202826.07) from your account before July 31, 2013, post obtaining approval on a plain paper, from the Regional Office of RBI.

Okay, I'll wait to receive a similar letter then. Interesting as my 5 year validity debit card expired earlier this year & to coincide with this, they sent me a shiny new 10 year validity debit card. The account scheme is SBNRO.

My visa is still valid but Axis bank do not know that & they have not asked for a copy of the visa, nor have they asked for a copy of any visa since they had a copy of the 1st one at the time of the opening of the account.

In view of the exchange rate hitting Rs92 to the £ last week, I was thinking of sending some money - which I will hold off from doing now. I'd be narked if they decide to suspend/close the account even though there is only little over £100 left in there (the Sterling equivalent of minimum balance as specified by Axis), but I'd be seriously f**ked off if the account contained a similar amount to that mentioned above.

H.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by hemingway
Okay, I'll wait to receive a similar letter then. Interesting as my 5 year validity debit card expired earlier this year & to coincide with this, they sent me a shiny new 10 year validity debit card. The account scheme is SBNRO.

My visa is still valid but Axis bank do not know that & they have not asked for a copy of the visa, nor have they asked for a copy of any visa since they had a copy of the 1st one at the time of the opening of the account.

In view of the exchange rate hitting Rs92 to the £ last week, I was thinking of sending some money - which I will hold off from doing now. I'd be narked if they decide to suspend/close the account even though there is only little over £100 left in there (the Sterling equivalent of minimum balance as specified by Axis), but I'd be seriously f**ked off if the account contained a similar amount to that mentioned above.

H.
I am F**ked off as I have quite a bit on mine - only due to the circumstances of the last year. Should have spent, spent, spent.
Never going to trust an Indian again, what every religion he may be.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:08 am
Just Joined

BritSu is an unknown quantity at this point

I have same but am on business visa and it HAS NOT Expired so what is the problem - they are asking for FRO proof but I don't have or need it as I am never here more than 180ndays at a time.

Help required - please assist
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:09 am
Just Joined

BritSu is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having problems on A BUSINESS VISA!!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:51 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Britsu

Welcome to BE and the Goa forum

This act is appalling...
.... especially as it seems almost 'deliberate' that this act has only commenced out of season when it would be well known that most foreign account holders would be outside of India.

Dread - x
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by BritSu
I have same but am on business visa and it HAS NOT Expired so what is the problem - they are asking for FRO proof but I don't have or need it as I am never here more than 180ndays at a time.

Help required - please assist
HI, WELCOME BritSu - will you please post your story again on Visa thread. Life is a Bitch in India now with all the sneaky changes of rules. Wish we could do the same to the Indians in this country perhaps their Governments would react differently to us. Just imagine saying their properties are illegal when they have been registered at the Land Registry, close their bank account. FAIR I think not.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

Life is a Bitch in India now
Coined a phase that will stick I think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.