Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Autorickshaw/second hand cat buying in goa

Autorickshaw/second hand cat buying in goa

Old Nov 11th 2013, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Gayley3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Autorickshaw/second hand cat buying in goa

Hi
A small group of uk residents are travelling to India in January. We want to buy a second hand car or Rickshaw that we can drive around in for approx 3 weeks and then donate to charity. Our whole trip is a fundraiser.
How easy/difficult is this to do and can anyone assist please??? We have heard that uk residents are unable to buy whilst second hand cars are difficult to come by.
Any suggestions?
Any help gratefully received!!!
Thanks
Gayle
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autorickshaw/second hand cat buying in goa

Get a Goan to buy it for you.They are quite easy to come by anyway.But make sure you have an international licence and that the insurance allows any driver and thats basically it. second hand rickshaws are cheep but get it serviced and all the break cables and throttle cable replaced.I should think no more than £300 to £400 quid with the servicing extra.My friend Doctor Alan in who lives near Mayona cafe during the season has had the same for nearly 10 years now
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Autorickshaw/second hand cat buying in goa

Hi!
Thanks so much for that..... Is it really that simple? We were hearing stories that its quite difficult to do as was the registration of the vehicles?? Can we take rickshaws out of the state?? (We would start and finish in Goa but aim to get over to Pondicherry)
Thanks
Gayle
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

danbushell is an unknown quantity at this point

might be worth getting in touch with the people who organise the Rickshaw Rally to see if they can give you any advice-the link is below.
http://www.theadventurists.com/the-a...s/rickshaw-run
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks..... We've done a couple of rallies with them before
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

Hi Gayley3, I am not sure how PrestonJohn's solution will help as surely the Goan who buys it might not be willing to part with a decent vehicle and as it would be in their name, you wouldn't really have any legal say. Just my opinion. Although giving to charity is a good gesture. I might ask my friend and get back to you.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Thank you, I'd be really grateful. The issue does appear to be around registration. We have unsuccessfully tried to make contact with a couple of charities both Goa and uk based. Somebody could do really well out of this which would be lovely!!!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gayley3
Hi!
Thanks so much for that..... Is it really that simple? We were hearing stories that its quite difficult to do as was the registration of the vehicles?? Can we take rickshaws out of the state?? (We would start and finish in Goa but aim to get over to Pondicherry)
Thanks
Gayle
Rickshaws are not normally allowed to cross state borders, but you could ask for special permission for a charitable cause and the vehicle would be specially marked.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

An all India permit ? But yes get in touch with the charity people.You could always give it to the Kids walking tall charity in Goa, im sure they will find a use for it
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

First find your charity, not all charities in India are benevolent (actually that's a bit of an understatement). Then get someone from the charity to buy insure and register the vehicle (as tourists you can't do that). Get them to write a letter saying a, b, c ... have permission to use the vehicle. As already mentioned make sure that a, b, c ... have (foreign) licences and IDPs for that type of vehicle; they should all have private accident/ medical and if possible public liability cover (Indian vehicle insurance covers any driver but is very very limited).
Have a great time.
Actually my official advice is not to drive in India - it is not safe.

AndyD 8-)
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I fully agree with you on that score....I have travelled all the world and the three places in numerical order for bad driving in my opinion are 1. Sri Lanka. 2. India.3.Thailand.....and all 3 believe in reincarnation and as i dont want to come back as a spare Tyre i stick to coastal Goa....If you want to travel safely in India get a tractor or a JCB with a bloody huge bucket on the front ...failing that Tata truck painted day-glo orange with a flashing light on top.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Autorickshaw/second hand cat buying in goa

Hate to be the bearer of crazy news but we have already taken part in an organised Rickshaw rally a couple of years ago..... From Kolkata to manali..... So used to the driving madness!!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
I fully agree with you on that score....I have travelled all the world and the three places in numerical order for bad driving in my opinion are 1. Sri Lanka. 2. India.3.Thailand.....and all 3 believe in reincarnation and as i dont want to come back as a spare Tyre i stick to coastal Goa....If you want to travel safely in India get a tractor or a JCB with a bloody huge bucket on the front ...failing that Tata truck painted day-glo orange with a flashing light on top.
I daren't think what it's like now but 35 years ago Tehran would have trumped your whole list!

AndyD 8-)
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gayley3
Hate to be the bearer of crazy news but we have already taken part in an organised Rickshaw rally a couple of years ago..... From Kolkata to manali..... So used to the driving madness!!
Congratulations!
My [other] comments still apply.
If you come to Goa I'll drive out and flash my Nano's headlight[s] at you <g>.

AndyD 8-)
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Just returned from driving to Mongolia...... Tehran? Easy peasy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.