Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Working in Germany

Working in Germany

Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

James_O is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Germany

Hi, new to the forum. My family and I are possibly looking to move to Germany. My wife has family there.
I was wondering if anyone can give me advice regarding work. Currently I work in the UK as a gas central heating engineer and have done for 11 years. Can anyone tell me if there is much demand for this sort of work in Germany and if so what would I need to do transfer my U.K. Qualifications over?

Tia
James
Old Jan 11th 2018, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Germany

German Language skills are crucial.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Angela Antonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Here is a quick job search:

Infoquest GmbH
Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of work in this field. But you need to learn German. I can't help with your question about qualifications. To start with you probably have to work alongside a German colleague.
I would google which companies are in the area you plan to settle. Then make contact to see about vacancies.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Lew354 is an unknown quantity at this point

On your first point, the language skills, I agree with the others here. They'll be necessary for your line of work because you will need to be conversant with colleagues who will not be fluent in English. Maybe with customers as well. (I've been lucky in this respect. I haven't needed them for mine because I work for a US multinational and the language used is English. We have colleagues in other parts of Europe with whom we have online meetings and they don't speak German.)

On your second point, about being married to a German national (or who is related to Germans), I have a British colleague with a German wife for many years. They have a few children born in UK and they all moved to Germany some years ago. He has now been awarded German citizenship (which kicks in in a few months). But he has not had to renounce his British citizenship. He can have dual nationality.