Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Where should we move to?

Where should we move to?

Old Feb 21st 2019, 9:58 am
  #16  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,212
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
May be the husband being German should make the choice. He knows Germany and her ppl in the different areas, and he can judge best where they would feel comfortable. Bonn was nice while it was capital of Germany. I lived and worked there for a while. I would not want to return.
Best Op can do is to go and tour the country to see what appeals and give it a try.
Bonn is going downhill. As you say, once the capital and nice place to live but now a lot of ghettos and problem areas. Bad Godesberg is one of the better areas but even here problems because of locals and visitors not communicating and different mentalties.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 21st 2019 at 10:02 am.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 10:28 am
  #17  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,212
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by CCP1994 View Post
Hello, me and my family will be moving to Germany early next year. My husband will be working from home with the occasional trip to visit clients, and therefore we have freedom to choose where we want to move to. Can anyone give some suggestions on family friendly places? I have a few criteria:
- Within 1h to 1h30 of the nearest airport as we travel frequently.
- Would prefer a smaller town to a big city, but would still like to have amenities within walking distance (bakery, supermarket, drogueriemarkt,...)
- Kid-friendly with activities for kids, places to explore, baby club, baby gym , etc
- Nursery and Schools nearby
- Surrounded by nature (walks through forest / mountains nearby / parks / lakes...)
- Bike friendly
- Safe

Any ideas? Thank you very much!!
As others have said, it really depends and if you want lakes you don't really have too much choice in Germany. A lot of areas are only Badeseen or Baggerseen Then it's only really Munich area, Brandenburg area and personal favourite (if you can afford it) would be Bodensee if you want proper lakes. Otherwise maybe Austria would be better than Germany in your case.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 12:04 pm
  #18  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 994
Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
As others have said, it really depends and if you want lakes you don't really have too much choice in Germany. A lot of areas are only Badeseen or Baggerseen Then it's only really Munich area, Brandenburg area and personal favourite (if you can afford it) would be Bodensee if you want proper lakes. Otherwise maybe Austria would be better than Germany in your case.
My preference would also would be Austria or the border area to Germany e.g. Salzburg. This gives easy access to Munich airport, Salzburg airport and Vienna if needed.
Thairetired2016 is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:21 pm
  #19  
BE Forum Addict
 
Assanah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: In the middle of the continent
Posts: 2,141
Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
Bonn is going downhill. As you say, once the capital and nice place to live but now a lot of ghettos and problem areas. Bad Godesberg is one of the better areas but even here problems because of locals and visitors not communicating and different mentalties. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYcK6yiqKU
Bad Godesberg is not one of the better areas. Hasn't been one for decades. It is one of the well-know problem areas (although not all parts of Bad Godesberg but that's another discussion). That said Bonn reported in 2018 the number of crimes to be on a record low. Bonn isn't going downhill. It has a lot to offer and it is safe.
Assanah is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:36 pm
  #20  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 994
Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Bad Godesberg is not one of the better areas. Hasn't been one for decades. It is one of the well-know problem areas (although not all parts of Bad Godesberg but that's another discussion). That said Bonn reported in 2018 the number of crimes to be on a record low. Bonn isn't going downhill. It has a lot to offer and it is safe.
What is a record low ? This statement means nothing. Low for Bonn may be but compared
Low against what? 8 muggigns compared to 10 last year?
Thairetired2016 is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 2:46 pm
  #21  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,212
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Bad Godesberg is not one of the better areas. Hasn't been one for decades. It is one of the well-know problem areas (although not all parts of Bad Godesberg but that's another discussion). That said Bonn reported in 2018 the number of crimes to be on a record low. Bonn isn't going downhill. It has a lot to offer and it is safe.
Crime always goes up and down but I still wouldn't say Bonn is now a desirable place to live just because there's less crime than last year. Unless you have to live there for work reasons, I've never heard a German saying let's move to Bonn. Sure you have the Eifel not too far away and Cologne but there are still better places that would match what the OP is looking for. And because it's one of the less sunnier places in Germany, might also not be for everyone.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 3:20 pm
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
Assanah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: In the middle of the continent
Posts: 2,141
Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
What is a record low ? This statement means nothing. Low for Bonn may be but compared
Low against what? 8 muggigns compared to 10 last year?
Well then you define what you mean with going downhill? 2 more Kebab shops instead of one?
Assanah is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2019, 3:24 pm
  #23  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,489
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Bad Godesberg is not one of the better areas. Hasn't been one for decades. It is one of the well-know problem areas (although not all parts of Bad Godesberg but that's another discussion). That said Bonn reported in 2018 the number of crimes to be on a record low. Bonn isn't going downhill. It has a lot to offer and it is safe.
Define ‘problem’. We were very happy living in Plittersdorf.
BritInParis is online now  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 2:41 pm
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
Assanah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: In the middle of the continent
Posts: 2,141
Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Define ‘problem’. We were very happy living in Plittersdorf.
Look I don't want to make the argument that Bonn is going downhill and becoming dangerous my own. I work in Bonn now and have never had a problem. In my view it is a beautiful and thoroughly decent city with a high quality of life. I have friends with two young kids who happily live in Bad Godesberg. The problem- if I may call it so - with parts of Bad Godesberg is that it suffered the biggest blow when the government left and there was nothing to replace it. Naturally that led to certain tensions which you don't find in other parts of Bonn. But in comparison to other cities those problems are trivial.
Assanah is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 3:01 pm
  #25  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,212
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Look I don't want to make the argument that Bonn is going downhill and becoming dangerous my own. I work in Bonn now and have never had a problem. In my view it is a beautiful and thoroughly decent city with a high quality of life. I have friends with two young kids who happily live in Bad Godesberg. The problem- if I may call it so - with parts of Bad Godesberg is that it suffered the biggest blow when the government left and there was nothing to replace it. Naturally that led to certain tensions which you don't find in other parts of Bonn. But in comparison to other cities those problems are trivial.
No doubt there are worse places and in general you have a lot around you but I still think other areas offer far more if you aren't relying on one location for employment. For example Austria seems to have so much to offer and if you live in Klagenfurt, it's only 2 hours drive to adriatic see.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 3:48 am
  #26  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 994
Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Well then you define what you mean with going downhill? 2 more Kebab shops instead of one?
"BONN/RHINE-SIEG COUNTY. Current crime statistics show that the number of crimes in Bonn and the region has fallen. Burglaries went down but the number of sex offenses increased. More and more police are also victims of violence. 08.03.2018" from Generalanzeiger

This is downhill amongst other changes. May be you enjoy kebab shop and shisha bar Atmosphere
I do know a different Bonn and Bad Godesberg. I used to live in Plittersdorf and later in B. Godesberg.

Thairetired2016 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:17 am
  #27  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,489
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
"BONN/RHINE-SIEG COUNTY. Current crime statistics show that the number of crimes in Bonn and the region has fallen. Burglaries went down but the number of sex offenses increased. More and more police are also victims of violence. 08.03.2018" from Generalanzeiger

This is downhill amongst other changes. May be you enjoy kebab shop and shisha bar Atmosphere
I do know a different Bonn and Bad Godesberg. I used to live in Plittersdorf and later in B. Godesberg.
That's also reflected by what's happening in the rest of Germany at large, not just Bonn.
BritInParis is online now  
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 4:06 pm
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
 
Assanah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: In the middle of the continent
Posts: 2,141
Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
"BONN/RHINE-SIEG COUNTY. Current crime statistics show that the number of crimes in Bonn and the region has fallen. Burglaries went down but the number of sex offenses increased. More and more police are also victims of violence. 08.03.2018" from Generalanzeiger

This is downhill amongst other changes. May be you enjoy kebab shop and shisha bar Atmosphere
I do know a different Bonn and Bad Godesberg. I used to live in Plittersdorf and later in B. Godesberg.
That's ridiculous. Really truly ridiculous. So crimes are down and you think that's why Bonn goes downhill???? Well then, at least the direction is the same.

Assanah is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2019, 7:33 am
  #29  
BE Forum Addict
 
Assanah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: In the middle of the continent
Posts: 2,141
Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
No doubt there are worse places and in general you have a lot around you but I still think other areas offer far more if you aren't relying on one location for employment. For example Austria seems to have so much to offer and if you live in Klagenfurt, it's only 2 hours drive to adriatic see.
Are you trying to distract from the BS you wrote before? Ljubljana is a very nice city and has a lot to offer, so is Vienna ( although quiet a few women got murdered there recently). I also like Zagreb and Budapest. Poland has nice cities to offer. I advise to have a look at Breslau and Krakow. Very beautiful is Krumnau in the Czech Republic. France has fantastic cities. Oh and so has Italy, Spain, and Portugal. Stockholm is fantastic too. There are many awesome cities in Europe where you could choose to live and that offer plenty.

Bonn is 3 hours from the North Sea and Amsterdam and 4 hours from Paris in case you hadn't noticed.

Assanah is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2019, 6:47 am
  #30  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,212
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move to?

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Are you trying to distract from the BS you wrote before? Ljubljana is a very nice city and has a lot to offer, so is Vienna ( although quiet a few women got murdered there recently). I also like Zagreb and Budapest. Poland has nice cities to offer. I advise to have a look at Breslau and Krakow. Very beautiful is Krumnau in the Czech Republic. France has fantastic cities. Oh and so has Italy, Spain, and Portugal. Stockholm is fantastic too. There are many awesome cities in Europe where you could choose to live and that offer plenty.

Bonn is 3 hours from the North Sea and Amsterdam and 4 hours from Paris in case you hadn't noticed.
How dare I talk BS. Shame on me and I will give myself a good slap. Only a true King like yourself the König von Deutschland will know the good things in life.
You are now a real German and again shame on me for speaking like a peasant.
Moses2013 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.