British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   Where should we move to? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/where-should-we-move-922201/)

CCP1994 Feb 19th 2019 9:11 am

Where should we move to?

Hello, me and my family will be moving to Germany early next year. My husband will be working from home with the occasional trip to visit clients, and therefore we have freedom to choose where we want to move to. Can anyone give some suggestions on family friendly places? I have a few criteria:
- Within 1h to 1h30 of the nearest airport as we travel frequently.
- Would prefer a smaller town to a big city, but would still like to have amenities within walking distance (bakery, supermarket, drogueriemarkt,...)
- Kid-friendly with activities for kids, places to explore, baby club, baby gym , etc
- Nursery and Schools nearby
- Surrounded by nature (walks through forest / mountains nearby / parks / lakes...)
- Bike friendly
- Safe

Any ideas? Thank you very much!!

mikelincs Feb 19th 2019 10:30 am

Re: Where should we move to?

Can't help with places to live, but will Brexit in whatever guise it comes have an impact?

CCP1994 Feb 19th 2019 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12639255)
Can't help with places to live, but will Brexit in whatever guise it comes have an impact?

Hoping not, husband is German and his clients will be around DE-Aust-Switz :)

calman014 Feb 19th 2019 10:44 pm

Munich area/ Bavaria ticks all the boxes.

dmu Feb 20th 2019 6:25 am

Originally Posted by CCP1994 (Post 12639296)

Hi, if he doesn't know already, he should find out about his future self-employed status in Germany (for healthcare coverage, etc....).
Southern Germany sounds logical, for geographical reasons apart from the other advantages. Has your OH got family to consider, when deciding where to settle?

Assanah Feb 20th 2019 8:49 am

A bit difficult to say....there are many very beautiful and safe cities in Germany. How small do you like your city? Do you prefer an international surrounding? Do you want a university city? Freiburg is beautiful, about 220 000 inhabitants, has a good university (so there are many cafes, bars, other entertainment opportunities etc in the city). It's liberal. It is very close to the Schwarzwald - mountain biking, hiking, skiing, good food - it is very close to the Rhein. It is a warm and sunny part of Germany. It is close to France and Switzerland. And it is expensive.

I also like the old Reichsstädte in Southern Germany, such as Schwäbisch Gmünd, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbühl...however, you should be aware that you need to "cope" with the German mentality there as these cities are usually smaller, no university, not so international...so you would be living in the province.

My (very personal) view is that the mentalitiy of people is more open und friendlier in big cities or in the Rheinland compared to other parts of Germany.

Jake.White Feb 20th 2019 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by CCP1994 (Post 12639222)
Hello, me and my family will be moving to Germany early next year. My husband will be working from home with the occasional trip to visit clients, and therefore we have freedom to choose where we want to move to. Can anyone give some suggestions on family friendly places? I have a few criteria:
- Within 1h to 1h30 of the nearest airport as we travel frequently.
- Would prefer a smaller town to a big city, but would still like to have amenities within walking distance (bakery, supermarket, drogueriemarkt,...)
- Kid-friendly with activities for kids, places to explore, baby club, baby gym , etc
- Nursery and Schools nearby
- Surrounded by nature (walks through forest / mountains nearby / parks / lakes...)
- Bike friendly
- Safe

Any ideas? Thank you very much!!

Ostallgäu region of Bavaria. Any town or village will do. The whole area is superb with beautiful outstanding scenery of lakes, mountains and forests and the region ticks all of your boxes. You're never more than about an hour or thereabouts away from Munich. I highly recommend the towns of Füssen or Kempten if it's an actual 'town' your after. If not there are lots of smaller villages to choose from...

Thairetired2016 Feb 20th 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by CCP1994 (Post 12639296)

Are you British? If yes Brexit may make staying in Germany more difficult for you.
If you can afford it, look at greater Munich area or may be Stuttgart.

scot47 Feb 20th 2019 4:17 pm

She is married to a German ! I would go for a place near my partner's family

Thairetired2016 Feb 20th 2019 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12640348)
She is married to a German ! I would go for a place near my partner's family

Being married to a German won't make it easier if Brexit happens with no deal.
I would definitely not move close to the family esp. not if there is a MiL.

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12640639)
Being married to a German won't make it easier if Brexit happens with no deal.
I would definitely not move close to the family esp. not if there is a MiL.

Of course it will. Germany does have spouse visas.

Another vote for the Rhineland. Try Bonn and the surrounding towns.

Thairetired2016 Feb 21st 2019 12:13 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12640651)
Of course it will. Germany does have spouse visas.

Another vote for the Rhineland. Try Bonn and the surrounding towns.

While Bonn area is nice, it won't be so convenient if the husband's business contacts are in Austria and Switzerland. It is easy to drive or to fly from the south.

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12640654)
While Bonn area is nice, it won't be so convenient if the husband's business contacts are in Austria and Switzerland. It is easy to drive or to fly from the south.

Possibly, but if he’s working from home with only occasional visits to clients then I would be prioritising the local quality of life over relative proximity to the Swiss and Austrian borders. Quick and easy enough to take a plane from CGN/DUS or an ICE train to visit clients when necessary or just hit the Autobahn.

Thairetired2016 Feb 21st 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12640660)
Possibly, but if he’s working from home with only occasional visits to clients then I would be prioritising the local quality of life over relative proximity to the Swiss and Austrian borders. Quick and easy enough to take a plane from CGN/DUS or an ICE train to visit clients when necessary or just hit the Autobahn.

May be the husband being German should make the choice. He knows Germany and her ppl in the different areas, and he can judge best where they would feel comfortable. Bonn was nice while it was capital of Germany. I lived and worked there for a while. I would not want to return.
Best Op can do is to go and tour the country to see what appeals and give it a try.

BritInParis Feb 21st 2019 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12640753)
May be the husband being German should make the choice. He knows Germany and her ppl in the different areas, and he can judge best where they would feel comfortable. Bonn was nice while it was capital of Germany. I lived and worked there for a while. I would not want to return.
Best Op can do is to go and tour the country to see what appeals and give it a try.

Myself and my other half lives there for a couple of years in the early 2010s and we loved our time there. I would certainly recommend it for someone with a young family.