Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

UK-Germany-UK-Germany - anyone else?

UK-Germany-UK-Germany - anyone else?

Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

johnab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK-Germany-UK-Germany - anyone else?

Here's an unusual situation and I'm wondering if anyone else here has a similar experience?

To sum up briefly: at the age of 30 I moved from my native UK work in Berlin (in the early 90's), got married and lived there for the next 14 years till the mid noughties when we moved for two years to Denmark, then back to the UK in 2008.

Now after six years UK, we are thinking of relocating once again back to Berlin as that's where both I and my (German) wife feel most at home. We're looking at the all the pros and cons, mindful that this will almost certainly be our last major move. Berlin has of course changed a great deal since we've been away, especially in terms of renting/buying property (we are in a position to buy); but on the plus side we have many good friends there and as we do not have children are more flexible about such changes. We're pretty good at moving - had five moves in one four year period, including three international moves - but it does take a toll as well.

I imagine ours is not a common situation and many will think that we're serial movers; but we look forward to finally "settling down" somewhere that we know and like. Language is not a problem, although I fear that those multiple pensions will be a headache to sort out!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:20 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK-Germany-UK-Germany - anyone else?

Originally Posted by johnab
Here's an unusual situation and I'm wondering if anyone else here has a similar experience?

To sum up briefly: at the age of 30 I moved from my native UK work in Berlin (in the early 90's), got married and lived there for the next 14 years till the mid noughties when we moved for two years to Denmark, then back to the UK in 2008.

Now after six years UK, we are thinking of relocating once again back to Berlin as that's where both I and my (German) wife feel most at home. We're looking at the all the pros and cons, mindful that this will almost certainly be our last major move. Berlin has of course changed a great deal since we've been away, especially in terms of renting/buying property (we are in a position to buy); but on the plus side we have many good friends there and as we do not have children are more flexible about such changes. We're pretty good at moving - had five moves in one four year period, including three international moves - but it does take a toll as well.

I imagine ours is not a common situation and many will think that we're serial movers; but we look forward to finally "settling down" somewhere that we know and like. Language is not a problem, although I fear that those multiple pensions will be a headache to sort out!
Sorry, but is there a question in there? If it's just "has anyone had a similar experience?" then, yes. Many of us have.

Viel Glück in Berlin und leb' wohl.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Has your wife considered taking out British citizenship? If so, the time to do so is while still resident in the United Kingdom.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:06 am
Just Joined

The question was: does anyone have the experience of multiple moves between two countries, specifically UK & Germany?

Your reply implied that you count yourself amongst these. How many times have you moved, and how did it work out?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Has your wife considered taking out British citizenship? If so, the time to do so is while still resident in the United Kingdom.
She did consider, but in the context of the EU there didn't seem to be any signal advantage (although one should consider that the UK could leave the Union some time in the future)
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:26 am
Just Joined

The question was: does anyone have the experience of multiple moves between two countries, specifically UK & Germany?

Your reply implied that you count yourself amongst these. How many times have you moved, and how did it work out?
I should perhaps say that my interest is not so much on the experience of moving a lot in itself, but specifically the phenomenon of moving several times between two countries.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have jobs in Berlin and if you're buying budget will be a factor. Berlin has definitely changed and like everywhere it's also a lifestyle choice. Personally Berlin would be at the bottom of my list, but there are plenty of people who love it.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:32 am
Just Joined

We are very aware of the changes, were there again last month. Keeping an eye on (rising) prices via Immobilienscout; the pound is strong vs the Euro but that can change, especially if Scotland declares independence!!

After 14 years there - my wife 18 - we do know that it's grey and overcast for much of the year, so no illusions there. Workwise we still have good chances there, are tapping into our networks already. Main thing is to base decisions on how the city is now and not on misplaced nostalgia.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

We are very aware of the changes, were there again last month. Keeping an eye on (rising) prices via Immobilienscout; the pound is strong vs the Euro but that can change, especially if Scotland declares independence!!

After 14 years there - my wife 18 - we do know that it's grey and overcast for much of the year, so no illusions there. Workwise we still have good chances there, are tapping into our networks already. Main thing is to base decisions on how the city is now and not on misplaced nostalgia.
The problem I see with Berlin, is that it never developed the way people wanted it to. I see property prices rising, but have the feeling the bubble will burst soon enough and prices will drop again. Wouldn't rush into buying, especially if it's an apartment.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Always the conundrum about buying. Most forecasts suggest that prices (to buy) will continue to rise; and renting is definitely more expensive than it used to be. It's going to be a calculated risk whatever we do.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Always the conundrum about buying. Most forecasts suggest that prices (to buy) will continue to rise; and renting is definitely more expensive than it used to be. It's going to be a calculated risk whatever we do.
Unless you're really stuck on a location, there will be plenty of properties available in and around Berlin in the coming years. Prices in Berlin just went up, because it was too cheap and foreigners believed it was a good investment. You just have to look at the rest of Europe and the story is repeating + Berlin will never be a London. If you can afford it and see it as a permanent home for the future, I don't see a problem.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

There was an interesting reportage on ARD recently on this subject "Wem gehört die Stadt"

Dokumentarfilm im Ersten: Wem gehört die Stadt? | Video zu Reportage / Dokumentation | ARD | Das Erste Mediathek
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There was an interesting reportage on ARD recently on this subject "Wem gehört die Stadt"

Dokumentarfilm im Ersten: Wem gehört die Stadt? | Video zu Reportage / Dokumentation | ARD | Das Erste Mediathek
Had a quick watch, but will definitely watch further. There's a lot going on at the moment. In Frankfurt a developer apparently got some asylum seeker family to move in a block and paid them to make noise all day, so old renters would move out. He then wanted to redevelop and sell as luxury apartments.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 1:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And as I said, many of us have.

I'm originally from the UK. I left when I was 27 to spend 5 years in California, then 4 in Canada, then 8 in Germany, then 22 back in Canada and will be moving to spend retirement time spread between the UK and France (where we have owned a house for several years) in 2015.

Everything's worked out just fine so far and I have high hopes that the trend will continue (although at my age health will play a role sooner rather than later).
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the pensions won't be too difficult as you are remaining within the EU zone.
Mainly a matter of proving where and what tax has been paid on it.
Reciprocal tax agreements assist in that area.

You might want to look at minimum qualification periods for each of the state pensions, I seem to remember that Germany was 5 years minimum. No knowledge about Denmark and whether you would qualify for anything from there. Likewise UK.

Personal or company pensions depend on the individual rules I would assume.

Berlin is like most cities I should imagine. Expensive.

Treat it like London..just find yourself a nice place on the outskirts with good transport links to the city.

A lot of money has been pumped into the former "East", it has great Autobahns (in most cases better than in the west) good transport links and lots of building going on as well as major investment in infrastructure.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.