Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Studying in Germany for a year advice

Studying in Germany for a year advice

Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in Germany for a year advice

I'm only going by DD"s experience, and I'll repeat that we paid French Uni fees to her French Uni for her Erasmus year in Potsdam which terminated her French Licence. Hopefully for the German taxpayers, the French Uni transferred some of the fees to the German Uni, or there must be a reciprocal arrangement between Erasmus partners? Surely the same applies to UK Unis sending a student to Europe?
As far as I know, only EU Universities are in the Erasmus scheme, so the question of non-EU students' fees wouldn't normally arise.
As said, the OP should get info from the horse's mouth, i.e. her UK Uni....
Old Aug 31st 2017, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Who would expect to go to Germany and study without a knowledge of the language ? Absurd.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

But Scot – they all speak English!

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/borussia-dortmund/11541312/Ben-Bloom-How-Jurgen-Klopp-turned-me-into-an-internet-phenomenon.html
Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to have some feedback from the OP? What options her Uni has offered, and how much the fees would be, for a Human Ressources course in Germany. Another point - she also mentioned having family in Germany, but does their location correspond to a nearby Uni with such Erasmus courses associated with her Uni? DD's Uni only gave her a couple of German Unis to choose from....
Old Sep 1st 2017, 8:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thinking behind offering degree courses for free for everyone was to increase the younger population living in Germany and paying taxes once they start working. This is born out with the statistics with the number people end up staying in their country/place of study after university

So,whilst you might not like the sound of it right now, I'm pretty sure you'll be glad of the extra revenue when you need your pension.

My son was keen on studying in Germany but alas, no physics undergrad courses were taught in English. He is pretty fluent in German anyway after having spent 11 years studying it at school in France and the USA but the language of physics internationally is English so he went to Netherlands instead.

OP. You might also see if your university has an exchange with a US university? Your UK university fees cover the US tuition and you may qualify for a bursary for living/travel expenses.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

if anyone said "I think I will go to Oxford and study but i don't want to learn English" what would your response be ?

Surely it is the same to head to Germany to study with no prior knowledge of German.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
if anyone said "I think I will go to Oxford and study but i don't want to learn English" what would your response be ?

Surely it is the same to head to Germany to study with no prior knowledge of German.
In the UK pretty much 100% of courses are taught in English. In Germany this isn't the case.

The two countries have completely different models of education when it comes to languages. Almost every university aged person in Germany can speak some English and in most cases, speak excellent English.

So the two scenarios are not comparable. It is not ridiculous at all to expect to be taught in English in Germany. It would be ridiculous to expect to be taught in German in the UK as knowledge of German has very little priority in the UK education system.

The Op needs to be encouraged to take the opportunity of studying abroad rather than criticised. If language is an issue, they can learn it or find a course in English.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 8:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The OP was originally asking about the ERASMUS scheme, where options are in fact quite limited. Her present Uni might not validate a year in Germany in a non-ERASMUS course in a Uni not affliliated to it.
But since she hasn't posted for some time, there seems little point in continuing to advise....
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think monoglots need to be jolted out of their isolation from the world ! If you want to study in Germany - learn German !

Acquisition of a foreign language should be a part of general education.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

dzabski is an unknown quantity at this point

There is nothing to be afraid of. Social life is like ewerywhere else. You will enjoy it as long as you like meeting a lot of people from around the world
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 9:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think monoglots need to be jolted out of their isolation from the world ! If you want to study in Germany - learn German !

Acquisition of a foreign language should be a part of general education.
Foreign languages were part of general education when I were a lad. Useless though because they were taught in much the same way as was Latin.

I learned German and French by living in, ahem, Germany and France. Unlike, I suspect yourself, language acquisition wasn't a priority, but simply a necessity. Easily done in those circumstances.

English is a priority for students in most countries nowadays, thanks to the unwelcome dominance of the US.

The dominance of English is unconnected to England.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I learned both languages at school and then spent many years using them in Francophone countries and in Germany. Not rocket science. If Germans can learn English why camn Anglos not learn German ? Arrogance ?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I learned both languages at school and then spent many years using them in Francophone countries and in Germany. Not rocket science. If Germans can learn English why camn Anglos not learn German ? Arrogance ?
Anglos can learn German. We both did. But yes, arrogance is why most don't bother.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Who would expect to go to Germany and study without a knowledge of the language ? Absurd.
I agree with you. It's rude to expect a whole country to cater to the needs of some non-German speaking foreigner. I have heard English speaker who where surprised and angry that Germans refused to speak English to them on the job or privately until they get around to learning German properly.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 8:37 am
Just Joined

CzP41004 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a friend and an ex who both studied in Germany through the Erasmus program, and came back home with the (abysmal) level of German they had to begin with! Some universities have a full English-speaking program and the dorms are multinational, they were with Mexican, French, Polish students... most of the German they needed was used to buy the groceries, as the dorm staff and the employees at the clubs, shops etc they went to spoke English.

Of course, that's a bad example, and you'd rather learn German to go there, attend courses in German and travel a little around the region, that would make your stay much more enjoyable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.