Short term apartment rental market in Berlin

Short term apartment rental market in Berlin

Old May 17th 2021, 1:37 am
2L8
Just Joined

2L8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Short term apartment rental market in Berlin

Hi,

I am moving to Berlin this summer. I've heard there is a shortage of short term(few month) rentals in Berlin. If anyone moved to Berlin recently, how hard was it to find the short term apartment and how long did it take to find one?

Here is the example of what I will be looking for:
- studio or one bedroom apartment, size of apartment is not essential
- budget 800-1300 euro
- duration 2 - 6 month

Thanks.
Old May 17th 2021, 4:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short term apartment rental market in Berlin

Originally Posted by 2L8 View Post
Hi,

I am moving to Berlin this summer. I've heard there is a shortage of short term(few month) rentals in Berlin. If anyone moved to Berlin recently, how hard was it to find the short term apartment and how long did it take to find one?

Here is the example of what I will be looking for:
- studio or one bedroom apartment, size of apartment is not essential
- budget 800-1300 euro
- duration 2 - 6 month

Thanks.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
You say you'll be moving to Berlin. Does this mean that you're looking for short-term accommodation while seeking something permanent, on the spot?
Have you considered an AirBnB for 3 months, then another one (since these rentals are limited in time)? Or a flatshare (WG) where you could sign an Untermietvertrag for the duration. My daughter used to be in a WG, and when original tenants left for a few months, they legally sub-let their rooms until their return.
Some one more in-the-know will come along with info on the rental market...

Old May 17th 2021, 5:21 pm
2L8
Just Joined

Hi dmu,

Thank you for the response.

You say you'll be moving to Berlin. Does this mean that you're looking for short-term accommodation while seeking something permanent, on the spot?
Have you considered an AirBnB for 3 months
Exactly. I am looking for a short term place to live there while I am looking for something long term. AirBnB may not work for me as I will need a registration. Also I would expect the accommodation availability on different platforms such as AirBNB or Wunderflats to be similar and depend on the market situation.

Old May 19th 2021, 7:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dmu,

Thank you for the response.

Exactly. I am looking for a short term place to live there while I am looking for something long term. AirBnB may not work for me as I will need a registration. Also I would expect the accommodation availability on different platforms such as AirBNB or Wunderflats to be similar and depend on the market situation.
Hi, have you consulted this site?
https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/120686/
If I understand correctly, there's no mention of the permanence of a domicile. Whenever any one moves, they must go along to the Bürgeramt to announce their new address.
The person accommodating you at the beginning must make a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung and when you find a long-term rental, that landlord will make another.
I'll ask DD1, since she went to different Bürgerämter when she moved within Berlin, but she is an EU-citizen which might make a difference....

Old May 19th 2021, 9:30 am
2L8
Just Joined

Hi dmu,

The problem with obtaining the registration is that it is not possible for all types of accommodation. For example it is not possible to register in a hotel. It may not be possible to register in case of sublet. It may take some time before I find the place where I could register.
Old May 19th 2021, 11:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi dmu,

The problem with obtaining the registration is that it is not possible for all types of accommodation. For example it is not possible to register in a hotel. It may not be possible to register in case of sublet. It may take some time before I find the place where I could register.
The operative word being "may"! Have you contacted the German Consulate in the UK on the subject?
Can your employer give advice or even help?
DD1 hasn't replied yet, but when she arrived in Berlin, she joined DD2 who was already in a WG (and has since left Germany). There again, they both signed a long-term rental and both are EU citizens, which doesn't correspond to your situation.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

sternchen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dmu,

If it's a legal sublet or a legal airBnB, there should be no problem getting the required form from the landlord = owner of the flat.

Do a search on 'Wohnen auf Zeit Berlin', that should give you some results for fixed term lets/sublets.

You can also try:

ebay-kleinanzeigen.de (kind of the German version of gumtree/craigslist)

immobilienscout24.de

wg-gesucht.de (originally for rooms in shared flats but they also have entire flats advertised)