British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   Seeking German birth record (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/seeking-german-birth-record-901121/)

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 3rd 2017 9:24 am

Seeking German birth record

Hi,

Information has recently come my way that my (now long deceased) Father was born in Berlin in 1930. Does anybody have any bright ideas as to how I might confirm this, possibly obtain a birth certificate?

I have tried Google but couldn't find a solution, furthermore I do appreciate that some records may no longer exist.

I am prepared to travel to Berlin to pursue this.

Many thanks

Assanah Aug 3rd 2017 10:25 am

Re: Seeking German birth record

Do you know the Bezirk He was born in? You can contact the Standesamt of the Bezirk and ask them. Standesamt ist where you usually register births, marriages and deaths.
Here a link to the Bezirk Neukölln. Apparently they have birth certificates starting from 1900. Obviously some certificates could be lost because of the war.

https://www.berlin.de/ba-neukoelln/politik-und-verwaltung/aemter/amt-fuer-buergerdienste/standesamt/urkundenstelle-256415.php

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 3rd 2017 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12308346)
Do you know the Bezirk He was born in? You can contact the Standesamt of the Bezirk and ask them. Standesamt ist where you usually register births, marriages and deaths.
Here a link to the Bezirk Neukölln. Apparently they have birth certificates starting from 1900. Obviously some certificates could be lost because of the war.

https://www.berlin.de/ba-neukoelln/politik-und-verwaltung/aemter/amt-fuer-buergerdienste/standesamt/urkundenstelle-256415.php

Assanah - Thank you for this, very helpful. I don't know which Bezirk but thanks to your prompt I now understand that there are 12 to work through starting of course with Neukoelln.

Much appreciated!

Assanah Aug 7th 2017 6:33 pm

Good luck with your search. I hope you'll find it!

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 7th 2017 6:46 pm

Thank you, I will let you know!

Assanah Aug 7th 2017 7:03 pm

Yes, do let us know. It would be interesting to find out the Bezirk he is from. Then you could go and explore the area. Berlin was bombed during the war but not as bad as Cologne or Hamburg. You might get a fairly good impression of the city your father came from. It is going to be an interesting journey in any case!

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 7th 2017 7:08 pm

Yes, I am planning a trip up there.

BritInParis Aug 7th 2017 8:59 pm

Were your father's parents, as far as you know, German as well or from elsewhere?

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 7th 2017 9:02 pm

Hi, I believe they were Irish...

Thairetired2016 Aug 8th 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12308306)
Hi,

Information has recently come my way that my (now long deceased) Father was born in Berlin in 1930. Does anybody have any bright ideas as to how I might confirm this, possibly obtain a birth certificate?

I have tried Google but couldn't find a solution, furthermore I do appreciate that some records may no longer exist.

I am prepared to travel to Berlin to pursue this.

Many thanks

Be aware that Germany has strict data protection rules. Standesamt may not give info just on your info.
Good luck in your search.

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 8th 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12312082)
Be aware that Germany has strict data protection rules. Standesamt may not give info just on your info.
Good luck in your search.

Ah, many thanks for this.

BritInParis Aug 8th 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12311673)
Hi, I believe they were Irish...

Irish Free State or Northern Ireland? And which citizenship(s) do you hold now? If there's a connection with the UK it might be worth attempting to apply for your father's British consular birth certificate. The fee is £9.25 and will be refunded if they cannot find a record.

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 9th 2017 9:15 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12312527)
Irish Free State or Northern Ireland? And which citizenship(s) do you hold now? If there's a connection with the UK it might be worth attempting to apply for your father's British consular birth certificate. The fee is £9.25 and will be refunded if they cannot find a record.

Irish free State, I am British. Thanks for your help.

scot47 Aug 10th 2017 2:15 pm

Many records in Germany were lost in the chaos of war. I would be interested to hear the results of your search.