British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   Roadworks on Autobahn A6... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/roadworks-autobahn-a6-921709/)

Jake.White Feb 3rd 2019 10:59 am

Roadworks on Autobahn A6...

Can anyone give me an update on the roadworks on Autobahn A6 around the Sinsheim/Heilbronn areas please..? I was last there in October and it was like driving hell in both directions - I was held up for over 2 hours going both ways and am hoping the situation might have improved the next time I have to drive that way which will be in early April.

Cheers.

Assanah Feb 4th 2019 7:49 am

Re: Roadworks on Autobahn A6...

Originally Posted by Jake.White (Post 12631526)
Can anyone give me an update on the roadworks on Autobahn A6 around the Sinsheim/Heilbronn areas please..? I was last there in October and it was like driving hell in both directions - I was held up for over 2 hours going both ways and am hoping the situation might have improved the next time I have to drive that way which will be in early April.

Cheers.

Difficult to say- the traffic in much of Germany is very dense. Best thing is to avoid driving during rush hour. Weekends are usually better for driving especially Sundays as trucks are not allowed on the Autobahn. Check google maps a few days before you are suppose to drive. That will give you an indication.

Jake.White Feb 4th 2019 9:36 am

Thanks for that. I've been driving up and down from Venlo to Füssen and beyond twice a year for a number of years now and have tried just about every conceivable route. From trial and error I've learned that the fastest and straightest route seems to be via the A61, A6 and A7 but have noticed over the years that the traffic congestion situation is becoming steadily worse, and largely due to the number of trucks on the road. The perpetual roadworks along every stretch of the Autobahn route I use only add to the problem. I'll probably go the same way I always go and hope for the best..

calman014 Feb 4th 2019 2:38 pm

Time of day makes a big difference regarding Autobahn travel..so even with roadworks choosing the right time to travel is crucial.

Jake.White Feb 4th 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by calman014 (Post 12632312)
Time of day makes a big difference regarding Autobahn travel..so even with roadworks choosing the right time to travel is crucial.

Yes indeed it is. Travelling from North to South I usually cross the German border at around Midday and so end up hitting the A6 at Hockenheim around 3pm, all being well. I could hang around and wait till evening I suppose but that would seem to be a bit pointless as I would be losing the time either way.

On the way back up conditions are usually a bit better as it's usually late in the evening - around 10pm on the A6 at Heilbronn/Sinsheim where the worst of the roadworks are, and not at all too bad - although having said that, I completely mistimed my trip last time and ended up at the crucial point in the middle of the afternoon and lost a full two hours.

I've heard it said a few times from the locals that it's universally worse on a Friday too for some reason....

calman014 Feb 4th 2019 10:11 pm

You could always pop off the motorway, fill up the car and take a break. There is a great Chinese in Hockenheim close to the big ARAL Garage.

Thairetired2016 Feb 5th 2019 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Jake.White (Post 12631526)

Cheers.

https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Traf...c_info-Germany

Try this one. ADAC has a similar info site. Traffic news on radio stations also have info but it will be in German.

Jake.White Feb 5th 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by calman014 (Post 12632531)
You could always pop off the motorway, fill up the car and take a break. There is a great Chinese in Hockenheim close to the big ARAL Garage.

I'll keep that one open as a possible option.

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12632584)
https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Traf...c_info-Germany

Try this one. ADAC has a similar info site. Traffic news on radio stations also have info but it will be in German.

I tried the michelin site but couldn't get much info out of it. I'll try it again. I'll have a look at the ADAC website too. It'll be worth finding a radio station if I can cope with my digital radio programming (serious technophobe here .. :(....) I can understand German well enough to be able to follow most of the time provided I can actually find a station.

Cheers guys.