Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Germany

Retiring in Germany

Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

HilaryL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retiring in Germany

Hi, my husband and I are planning to retire to Germany and I would really appreciate some advice from other retirees, if there are any on the board, on health care and, if it should become necessary, residential care. I know the Germany healthcare system is fantastic as my husband became ill while on holiday and the care he received was faultless, but at that time we were covered by the EHIC form. I understand that once we become resident the arrangement will be different.

I'd be very grateful for any information.

Thanks

HL
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:01 pm
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring in Germany

Hi HL,

Personally, I wouldn't call the German healthcare system fantastic.

It's very wastefull and costs the government and private individuals heaps of money......

I would say it has one of the worst health insurance systems in (West-) Europe.

You are right to focus on this topic and you would be well advised to research this and obtain some professional advice before you make your move.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Re : the medical ( services ) in Germany , especially : sophisticated procedures , hospitals' cleanlyness & comforts , staff courtesy , organisation and more ;
many of us , who have experienced the relevant , would fiercely disagree with you !
The price maybe a factor , maybe ( to some ) , depending on personal arrangements...?
Personally , I'd very much prefer have a major problem , condition , procedure , operation or similar : in Germany , rather than in U.K. or in NL !
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:58 am
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry but you should not base your conclusions on one or two visits to a German hospital.

What do you know about the German healthcare system?

Did you know for example that MRSA is a huge problem in German hospitals?

Unlike the Netherlands where new Patients get screened for bacterial/viral infections and if tested positive get seperated from the main hospital population, the hospitals in Germany have no screening policy what so ever.

Indeed, MRSA has become a huge problem in Germany, many patients in hospitals in Germany die because of the huge MRSA problem.

Personally, I would feel much safer in a hospital in the Netherlands for this very reason.

I have family in Germany and visit Germany frequently and I know that the German Health insurance industry is almost bankrupting the German government. Private individuals in Germany who are above a certain income threshhold have to pay very large fees for medical insurance.

I recommend you do some research on some German news sites on the net to educate yourself on the subject.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we have lived in Germany for 41 years (apart from 5 years in the middle, when we lived in Holland) and have been very happy with our health care. I have heart trouble, diabetes and arthritis. I have been in hospital quite a few times and, touch wood, never caught MRSA. I think the UK has a high rate of this bug but it is a universal problem.
We are now retired and plan to stay in Germany. O.K. our medical insurance now costs us 400 Euros a month. I am not sure whether you have to take out a health insurance here or not. Whenever we have been taken ill in the UK we have not had to pay. My husband ended up in hospital in Wales and they didn't even want his home address. If we decide to move to another country, our health insurance here would pay for medical expenses. If you do require a medical insurance then you will probably choose the AOK, I know they take people on at all ages. How much they charge is related to your income.

Life in Germany is great, we live in Bavaria near Munich. Do you have a good income or just a state pension?

If you have any questions please ask.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

HilaryL is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your responses. The decision to retire to Germany isn't based soley on the healthcare, but on a love of the country, culture, food and other things. We are learning the language and have some friends there already.

Notathome, I also have heart trouble and diabetes so I'm very pleased to hear that you have had good treatment. We won't be wealthy but will have more than the state pension. If we have to take out health insurance we will but it would be a drain. Could you explain what AOK is?

We are also planning to settle in Bavaria, but further north in Franconia.

Hilary
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hilary,
AOK is the Algemeine Orts krankenkasse. It is the nearest to a state health insurance. There are others to choose from.
Frankonia is also nice, its the wine growing area of Bavaria. Bavaria is our favourite part of Germany.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

mercwilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HilaryL
Hi, my husband and I are planning to retire to Germany and I would really appreciate some advice from other retirees, if there are any on the board, on health care and, if it should become necessary, residential care. I know the Germany healthcare system is fantastic as my husband became ill while on holiday and the care he received was faultless, but at that time we were covered by the EHIC form. I understand that once we become resident the arrangement will be different.

Thanks

HL
Hi Hilary--- my name is Mercia and my husband and I are planning to retire to Germany later this year. Have you and your husband retired to Germany already, or are you still at the planning stage??? We live in the UK (nearly 8 years now) but are from South Africa (I have a British passport now and my hubby was born in N.Ireland). Please let me know how your plans are getting on, or, if you have already settled in Germany, let me have some details please (especially large considerations, e.g. medical care and costs. Thank you in anticipation for your advice!!!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HilaryL

Thanks

HL
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Old_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi HilaryL,
I am going to get my ears chewed for this.
I have lived here in De since I came out of the forces in the early 70's, and have been very, very happy. I think you have to split Germany into 4 zones.

The south, Bavaria and Munich is very like Scotland, with lots of customs, singing, and mountains in the south on the Austrian boarder. When we have a Christmas carol event it 9 times out of ten comes from Bavaria. The Nürnberger Christkindlesmarkt (Biggest Xmas market) is in Bavaria.

The west of Germany (NRW) is the old coal belt with very simmer traditions as you might find in the mid uk. Now of course there is no more steel works or coal mines. Light industry like cars are made in this part of the world, (Ford, Opel, Renault, Puergeot). A lot of famous firm's are resident in this area, (Brother, HP, Acer, Canon, Sony). The 'Rhinelander' as they call themselves enjoy party's and friends. The Köln (Cologne) carneval being one the largest in the EU. Although being very similar to the Midlands it is one of Europe's most densely populated areas.

Northern Germany or Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) is very similar to the southern UK, but with more open farm land not unlike Hampshire or Norfolk. This part of Germany has even to this day a strong British structure. After the war the Brits started the first radio station (NWDR) in Hamburg, now called NDR. It was the Brits again who licensed the first German newspapers (Bild, Spiegel), and of course got the VW works back onto making small lorry vehicles. Up to a few years ago the British Forces (BAOR) where stationed in a lot of German town in northern Germany. Even now some 12000 men from various regiments with there family's are stationed here, and almost all over Lower Saxony you can receive BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service). So we have a British flavour. Our county has a lot of red brick. The weather is like the UK.
One could go on with this but I think wherever you live, I think its the will to settle in. Good luck to you both.

Mike
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mike!!
Thanks for all the info. and the comaprisons to the UK!!! My husband and I are planning to retire to Syke, half an hour from Bremen (maybe you know it??) early October this year. We have already purchased a property there and our daughter and her family live close by in Bramstedt. Would be so pleased if you could give us details about relocating ( I was born and bred in S.Africa and although my husband is Irish, he lived in SA for 36 years; we have been in the UK in Essex for nearly 8 years). What did you find difficult? did you settle in quickly? do you receive a British pension? how do you find the medical care? costs for pensioners (Med)? Just any hints and pointers will be welcomed with open arms!!!!
Here's looking forward to hearing from you soon, Mike.
Thanks
Mercia
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Old_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mercia
I know Syke well!! After some 15 years as Technical area Manager with Canon travailing around. My area was roughly from Bielefeld in the south and Hamburg in the north, and the Dutch, DDR boarder's on the west-east axis. Our 'Niederlassung' was in Bremen, so I know the whole area very well.

But back to your question Mercia, to live in any society one must learn the language. You don't need a uni degree in German, but you must know the fundamentals, but it is not to hard to speak German but a nightmare to write. Do you have a British passport? as the foreigners laws are very strict. Your husband is ok as an EU citizen. Keep all passports and ID docs up-to-date, and carry them at all times, as we have in Germany an identify duty, this is not only for foreigners but German nationals as well. I use a small on the shoulder video camera case with my driving licence, passport, my wallet, my health card, car docs and my small camera and so on. Stay within the law. Do not undersign anything that you don't understand. Law in Germany is very logical and understandable made with both parties in mind. After the war the allies together with a makeshift government put together the new Germany and so in 1947 the Federal Republic of Germany was born. So you will find that German law is a mixture of British, American with a touch of French, i.e the German president has roughly the same power and duty as the Queen. As an ex military man I can live with a country that have liberal laws and not anarchy, as in some city's in the UK and SA. You will find as a woman you can go out of a night time and meet friends, go to a bar, go bowling and not meet any harassment. There is not one city in Germany where you couldn't drive around with a coupé car, so Germany is a very safe place to live.

The medical scene in Germany is once again a mix of Brit-Ami health services. There are some 300 health insurances 'krankenkassen', that by the way are not allowed to insure anything else, which you must belong to. It is law that you have health insurance, like the UK. A few names (DAK, HEK, GEK, BKK, IKK) and so on. I have added a link for you to look at the prices. By the way the cost bracketing is made by the government in Berlin. The system is not unlike the old NHS. You choose your own doctor, and this could be different to your husband. You have to pay a prescription charge 'rezeptgebühr' (in a band 5 Euros to 10Euros), and a doctors charge (10Euros) a quarter. This must not be more that 2% a year of your income, and if you have a small pension could be less than 1%.

Telephone is up to you, but, in country areas you would have a better deal by using the 'Telekom', flatrate with internet + country flat. In Bremen is a good 'Anglo-German Club' which I could give you the address of in a private email.

I hope I have covered most of the things, but you could email me if you have difficult questions. Good luck Mercia

Mike

http://www.krankenkassen.de/

Last edited by Old_Mike; Apr 23rd 2010 at 9:28 am. Reason: Add link
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

I would say it has one of the worst health insurance systems in (West-) Europe.
And you live were....England? That's rich
Old May 30th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

To Eurotramp: I was confused by your comment, I always thought the word 'where' had an 'h' in it, sorry

To Mike: I have been reading all your comments with interest. My son will be moving to Bavaria in the Autumn - we are at the moment living in Scotland. He is always saying I should move to Germany (I'm now 67) - tho I tend to lean towards Spain, as find it so hard to get my tongue round German - he speaks it beautifully! Anyway, I found all your advice and comments exceedingly helpful, and great food for thought - thank you for them, even though they were for someone else!
Old May 30th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

hales is on a distinguished road

Hi! My wife and I stayed on after leaving the Forces and we worked for the Army for some years. We are now both retired and have stayed on here mainly for the medical facilities. We both have had a problem learning the language but get by. With regarding to getting British TV/radio etc, we have got a satellite dish. Our city had the biggest Army Garrison and they have now all left and they are pulling out of many places here. As one correspondent said, you pay to see the Doctor and for prescription charges. There is also no free bus passes or winter fuel allowance. However, depending on your age, I understand that if you are receiving payment now you will continue to do so. One final thing, with the Euro being about 1.18 to the £ at the moment as opposed to 1.50 just 2 years ago, you notice the drop in your income. Still, as you have been told. Do lots of research and check-out the area you plan to live in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.