Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Renunciation to become a German! Dual Citizenship?

Renunciation to become a German! Dual Citizenship?

Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:38 am
Just Joined

EditDoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renunciation to become a German! Dual Citizenship?

Originally Posted by Bob
You'll be entitled to a basic UK state pension, it'll be shit, but you can make voluntary contributions, class 2 I believe, if you're working which is only a couple pounds a week.
I will look into that, thanks bob and have a great day!
Old Aug 25th 2012, 3:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EditDoc
My Son has been offered a place in the German Sports association and they´ve told me that he will have to become a German first to receive a place in the national team. He´s 14 years old and has no idea what-so-ever on what decision to take, he´s a born Philipino with a British Citizenship and I find it hard to make the decision for him to give up his Brit passport to get a German one for his up and coming sport career which could all go wrong anyway! Even they did´nt advise me to get a dual citizenship.
1. It's pretty well established that if you are a citizen of most EU states (or Switzerland), you should not need to renounce anything to become a German citizen.
http://www.bmi.bund.de/DE/Themen/Mig.../faq_node.html

2. Since your son is aged less than 18, he cannot renounce British citizenship even if he wants to. And you can't renounce it for him either.

3. Discussion about dual citizenship within the EU/EEA:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Acquir...te_Citizenship

Ok so imagine I do manage to get a dual nationality for both my son and I - then the financial cost of Passport Renewals every 10 years would be pretty high!
1. Not that high compared to your probably income over the 10 year period, and/or the amount you might spend on travel in that period.

2. As a dual British/German citizen, there is no obligation on you to keep a British passport active. You can use a German ID card for travel and/or a German passport. However, many dual citizens find it convenient to have both passports, despite the cost.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 7:34 am
Just Joined

EditDoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. It's pretty well established that if you are a citizen of most EU states (or Switzerland), you should not need to renounce anything to become a German citizen.
http://www.bmi.bund.de/DE/Themen/Mig.../faq_node.html

2. Since your son is aged less than 18, he cannot renounce British citizenship even if he wants to. And you can't renounce it for him either.

3. Discussion about dual citizenship within the EU/EEA:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Acquir...te_Citizenship

Wow, what a great way to start the day, someone actually noticed the root from my worries and thoughts. All the info I have been receiving is all great stuff and exactly what I need to know, but your reply put the icing is on the cake!:-) My financial worries about it all comes from being unemployed since 3 years, my facts were based on lack, which of course is not very positive when bearing the LOA in mind! You are right, financial times will change and have changed since yesterday, I have just received an client who was well impressed with my video creations that brings me enough work until Christmas, - which helped me to expand my financial horizon! The links you sent are excellent, great reading... I now have clarity in which pathway to take and will take! Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and for being so aware! Wish you a super Saturday...