Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Old Nov 27th 2019, 5:44 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
gh05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Hi, I've been considering working in Germany for a while as I have friends living there - starting off in a bar job and then maybe seeing if I can get a better job for a year once I've settled...Two things I'm unsure of when living in another European country:i) Is there any way I can remain on or get on an NHS waiting list for treatment back home (I tend to use my parents UK address for most of my correspondence anyway)? I ask as I've had a recurrence of medical issues I had around 10 years ago for which I had an operation by a top specialist doctor in the UK - because there is some risk with any further operation and he knows my history, I would want the same doctor to carry it out if I need it..ii) How does living abroad affect future things like your UK state pension?

Thanks
gh05 is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2019, 3:06 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 8,227
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

<<<SNIP>>>

2. https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad

That is your homework. You may have missed the lesson on National Insurance when you were in 6th Form !

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 1st 2019 at 4:05 pm. Reason: Please do not advise people to do this. Site Rule #2
scot47 is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2019, 11:52 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 735
Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Originally Posted by gh05 View Post
Hi, I've been considering working in Germany for a while as I have friends living there - starting off in a bar job and then maybe seeing if I can get a better job for a year once I've settled...Two things I'm unsure of when living in another European country:i) Is there any way I can remain on or get on an NHS waiting list for treatment back home (I tend to use my parents UK address for most of my correspondence anyway)? I ask as I've had a recurrence of medical issues I had around 10 years ago for which I had an operation by a top specialist doctor in the UK - because there is some risk with any further operation and he knows my history, I would want the same doctor to carry it out if I need it..ii) How does living abroad affect future things like your UK state pension?

Thanks
When you work in Germany insurance comes with your job. Insurance is compulsory. Preconditions don't matter. You also need to register with local authorities.
Residence is where you pay tax. This will be Germany. It would be against the law to access NHS treatment as you no longer will legally have your residence in the UK.
Do you speak German?
Brexit may change the rules for living in Germany considerably.

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Nov 30th 2019 at 12:03 pm.
Thairetired2016 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2019, 2:20 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
gh05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
When you work in Germany insurance comes with your job. Insurance is compulsory. Preconditions don't matter. You also need to register with local authorities.
Residence is where you pay tax. This will be Germany. It would be against the law to access NHS treatment as you no longer will legally have your residence in the UK.
Do you speak German?
Brexit may change the rules for living in Germany considerably.
Would that (insurance) even be the case with casual bar work (i don't expect to be able to get a proper job in Germany until I have been there for a couple of months)? I don't speak German yet, no. I'm cosidering the move for a change of scenery for a while as Iwanted to do it for years, have friends there, and know it could be my last proper chance given my age (mid 30's) and brexit. <<<SNIP>>> if it wasn't so important that I see the same doctor then i would happily see a German doctor but the risks of not seeing someone who knows my history/rare condition inside out are serious. It's almost pointless seeing a new doctor ...it just feels like extremely bad timing that right when I want to make the move this condition flares up again. Can I not continue to pay national insurance in the UK too or something?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 2nd 2019 at 4:47 pm. Reason: Site Rule 2
gh05 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2019, 2:41 pm
  #5  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,061
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Here's the UK government update on healthcare for British citizens living in Germany, pre and post Brexit, deal or no deal https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-germany

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 1st 2019 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Post quoted has been deleted
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2019, 2:59 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 735
Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Why do you think that you can get casual bar work without speaking German? Or bar work at all? Are you a trained barman? What do you mean with "casual"? Cash on hand at the end of a night?
This would not be allowed on a regular basis as it would no longer be "casual". How would you get health insurance? Unlike in the UK, Germany does not provide free treatment, not even in case of emergency. It is compulsory in EU countries to have insurance. Since you plan to work, you cannot get cover under an UK Ehic card.
Have you considered accommodation?
Do not overlook that you cannot just come and live in Germany. You are required to register with local authority. They ask for proof of medical aid, income or you show them a work contract. EU free movement isn't quite so free.
I'm not trying to put you off but point out what is needed to live and work on a legal basis. Otherwise you will have no legal protection.
You mention you have friends in Germany. They should be able to help with German bureaucracy.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 1st 2019 at 4:09 pm. Reason: Post quoted has been deleted
Thairetired2016 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2019, 3:57 pm
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 28,492
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Ignore Scot47’s advice. It’s illegal as said above. And yes, they can and do check - my husband (couldn’t look/sound more English if he tried) was asked for proof of address in hospital before a procedure.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 1st 2019 at 4:19 pm.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2019, 5:17 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 8,227
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

With no German you will have problems. Paying UK National Insurance when you are there is optional.
scot47 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 10:14 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 735
Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Here's the UK government update on healthcare for British citizens living in Germany, pre and post Brexit, deal or no deal https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-germany
What the link doesn't say ( I can't see it) that membership to health insurance is income based. If you have no income from work, then you show your tax return. If you have neither, you pay max. possible which some years ago was over 400€. Have been there and done it in Germany.
Thairetired2016 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 10:20 am
  #10  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,061
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
What the link doesn't say ( I can't see it) that membership to health insurance is income based. If you have no income from work, then you show your tax return. If you have neither, you pay max. possible which some years ago was over 400€. Have been there and done it in Germany.
Under the section headed 'Healthcare' two links are provided, 'guidance on accessing healthcare in Germany' and the German government's 'guide on social security in Germany'. The info's probably in one of those, I haven't read them though.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:02 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
gh05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Basically, one of my friends there (who I visit each year) asked the owner of an Irish bar on my behalf and they mentioned that getting work there wouldn't be an issue for an English speaker. Obviously I would want to make an effort to learn the local language as much as would be possible in a short time frame. I'm not sure yet about the nature of payment if I were to take it and how that translates to health insurance. Yes I have previous bar experience (not that it's really needed in my opinion for that sort of work). Accommodation - I asked another friend about this and he said he found his American friend accommodation within a day.

My main concern really is the medical one.
gh05 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:05 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
gh05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
With no German you will have problems. Paying UK National Insurance when you are there is optional.
A friend has arranged that he could get me a job in a local Irish bar to start. From there I would do my best to at least learn the basics of german. When you say paying National insurance also would be optional do you mean could possibly be a route to healthcare in the UK too or just for helping with pension contributions? thanks

gh05 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:09 pm
  #13  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 13,061
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Originally Posted by gh05 View Post
A friend has arranged that he could get me a job in a local Irish bar to start. From there I would do my best to at least learn the basics of german. When you say paying National insurance also would be optional do you mean could possibly be a route to healthcare in the UK too or just for helping with pension contributions? thanks
NI contributions just go towards your pension (but are well worth keeping up!), the NHS is entirely separate and is based on residency, not nationality.

I know there are a lot of rules and regs to get your head around, especially when you're young and just want to get out there and do it. But honestly, it is worth the time and effort to do things properly. You don't want to be stuck somewhere with a cardio health problem or other serious condition and no health cover. Best of luck to you, I admire your spirit of adventure!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Dec 2nd 2019 at 1:14 pm.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:16 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
gh05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
NI contributions just go towards your pension (but are well worth keeping up!), the NHS is entirely separate and is based on residency, not nationality.

I know there are a lot of rules and regs to get your head around, especially when you're young and just want to get out there and do it. But honestly, it is worth the time and effort to do things properly. You don't want to be stuck somewhere with a cardio health problem and no health cover. Best of luck to you, I admire your spirit of adventure!
Thanks, appreciate that. Is just frustrating to have these medical issues crop up now at the time when I want to make the move. Initially I thought while still in the EU I would be able to still receive NHS care as I'd always paid into the system etc but oh well. It took me 7 years of messing around with doctors before finding someone who was specialist enough to understand my heart condition so that's why I'd want to do my best to go back to the same doctor but maybe I'll just have to have a consultation now and put off any treatment for another day when back in the UK or something.

gh05 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:22 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 735
Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding healthcare and pension when living in Europe

Originally Posted by gh05 View Post
Basically, one of my friends there (who I visit each year) asked the owner of an Irish bar on my behalf and they mentioned that getting work there wouldn't be an issue for an English speaker. Obviously I would want to make an effort to learn the local language as much as would be possible in a short time frame. I'm not sure yet about the nature of payment if I were to take it and how that translates to health insurance. Yes I have previous bar experience (not that it's really needed in my opinion for that sort of work). Accommodation - I asked another friend about this and he said he found his American friend accommodation within a day.

My main concern really is the medical one.
I understand your concern re healthcare. The link provided explains all in detail. Your friend should be able to assist you as he lives and works in Germany.
if the owner of this e.g. Irish bar employs you officially (not casual), then medical aid will come with it. Even a low paid job gives medical membership. Employer pays part of the monthly contribution. To check your employment chances why not go to an employment site for gastronomy staff. This should give you a picture what jobs are on offer.

https://www.buhl-personal.de/jobs/

You never mentioned where you intend to visit. While affordable accomodation is hard to find in most places, it may be easier in others.
Good luck.

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Dec 2nd 2019 at 1:48 pm.
Thairetired2016 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.