Question Time

Old May 22nd 2015, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

hales is on a distinguished road
Default Question Time

Have just been watching the last edition of Question Time. One member of the panel - Tim Farron MP said that there are 10,000 unemployed Brits in Germany. I find this hard to believe.
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question Time

Here's a table which shows about 6,000, far more than unemployed Germans in the UK.

Revealed: thousands of Britons on benefits across EU | UK news | The Guardian
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Well, that is a lot less than 10,000 and can you trust any newspapers to print the truth?
Old May 25th 2015, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I also read that there are quite a few unemployed British in Germany.
Anyhow, I believe a lot of the unemployment has to do with British not speaking good German. Somehow some British still seem to think in colonial terms and expect the natives to speak English and serve them tea

Last edited by Assanah; May 25th 2015 at 7:31 am.
Old May 25th 2015, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Some people find it easy to learn a new language. Others like myself find it very hard to remember new words. My wife is English so we watch English TV and our German friends all want to practice their English. When we go shopping, many of the assistants ask us to speak English. We have even had Doctors thanking us for going to their surgery as they can practice their English. So, two lumps in my tea please
Old May 25th 2015, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Linguistic Imperialism is widespread !

Amazon Amazon

You can't learn the tongue - stay in Giggleswick !
Old May 25th 2015, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the Bundesagentur für Arbeit, there were 3,243 unemployed Brits in Germany in February 2015. I can't give you a working link but if you search for "Analyse des Arbeitsmarktes für Ausländer Februar 2015" you will find it. The figure is in the table in Section 1.5.

The figure also sounds plausible considering that there are around 100,000 Brits in Germany: de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1221/umfrage/anzahl-der-auslaender-in-deutschland-nach-herkunftsland/

These are also by no means people who have always been unemployed, as is sometimes implied when the British press talks about immigrants on benefits. Brits in employment in Germany have unemployment insurance deducted from their salaries and at some point become entitled to unemployment insurance if they are made redundant. (The same applies to immigrants in the UK of course.)

The language issue is a red herring, in my opinion. If you are in Germany and you really want to learn German, you don't have to give up just because (some) people want to speak English to you. I think that's just a cheap excuse.
Old May 25th 2015, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Where is Giggleswick?