Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Prospects of a job in Frankfurt

Prospects of a job in Frankfurt

Old Aug 20th 2016, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prospects of a job in Frankfurt

Exit stage left, pursued by Article 50.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with others about learning German before you go, and if you are highly paid as you've mentioned, you could learn quicker and more easily one-on-one with a German teacher.

I note that you have been in London for 13 years and have British citizenship, does this mean that you are from another country, and does this impact on the possibility of your current employers transferring you to Germany?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 6:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
.... I note that you have been in London for 13 years and have British citizenship, does this mean that you are from another country, and does this impact on the possibility of your current employers transferring you to Germany?
If the OP has British citizenship they already have full freedom of movement within the EEA (EU plus Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein).
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I note that you have been in London for 13 years and have British citizenship, does this mean that you are from another country, and does this impact on the possibility of your current employers transferring you to Germany?
No.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If the OP has British citizenship they already have full freedom of movement within the EEA (EU plus Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein).
I'm well aware that with British citizenship the OP has freedom if movement, but this is not what I was referring to. If the OP and their current employers are from another country, it is possible (though perhaps unlikely) they might not have office branches in Germany to be able to transfer.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Renia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all! Thanks for your responses!
I have dual citizenship and I am originally from Greece (ironic that Greece remains in the EU and UK is supposed to be leaving!).
To add to you conversations, i firmly believe that the UK leaving the EU will not affect people already living in UK or in other EU countries. Plus, I am really surprised that you actually believe that Brexit is actually going to happen! They will find a way out of it. They are not stupid.
Back to my original post. I think i found a very good tutor and will start german lessons in 2017. After all, German is also the spoken language in Austria and Switzerland.
Thanks all for your responses and don't be bothered with Brexit. It will not happen or if it will it will be a Lite version like Norway or Switzerland
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Renia, I am very certain that the UK's exit from the EU will be different from the relationship of Norway and Switzerland, we are not the same people.

I wish you well for finding work in Frankfurt.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

This is certain. Not even Norway amf Switzerland deals are the same. But in what way do you mean this?
I am not convinced Brexit will ever happen. If the UK is sure why don't they trigger article 50?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Renia, I am very certain that the UK's exit from the EU will be different from the relationship of Norway and Switzerland, we are not the same people.

I wish you well for finding work in Frankfurt.
What do you base your certainty upon?

Oh, I see, we are not the same people.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Renia
This is certain. Not even Norway amf Switzerland deals are the same. But in what way do you mean this?
I am not convinced Brexit will ever happen. If the UK is sure why don't they trigger article 50?
Because the moment they trigger it; the clock starts to countdown to a defined point 2 years in the future, nothing will stop it and any future event may blow the plan they had out of the water.

Assuming the UK are determined to proceed, it will be triggered when they have some firm idea of where they are going, probably either similar to what Norway/Switzerland have, or nothing at all to do with the EU, or somewhere in between - who knows, far to early to speculate at the moment.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 1:12 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Cynic
Because the moment they trigger it; the clock starts to countdown to a defined point 2 years in the future, nothing will stop it and any future event may blow the plan they had out of the water.

Assuming the UK are determined to proceed, it will be triggered when they have some firm idea of where they are going, probably either similar to what Norway/Switzerland have, or nothing at all to do with the EU, or somewhere in between - who knows, far to early to speculate at the moment.
I very much doubt that A50 will be invoked before the French presidential election (April/May 2017) and the German Federal Election (Sept or Oct 2017) are decided.

What would be the point?
Old Sep 26th 2016, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I very much doubt that A50 will be invoked before the French presidential election (April/May 2017) and the German Federal Election (Sept or Oct 2017) are decided.

What would be the point?
Good point; of one thing I am sure, despite there being no official "negotiations" up until now, you can guarantee that something is going on in the background; it's what politicians and government officials do.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:23 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Cynic
Good point; of one thing I am sure, despite there being no official "negotiations" up until now, you can guarantee that something is going on in the background; it's what politicians and government officials do.
I imagine that should be true. But given that the UK politicians and officials can't seem to fathom what it is they are supposed to be negotiating about, this may be an exception to the rule.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

So, update on my side.
Started intensive German and moved to a German bank. I think we might give it a go and make a move to a german speaking country. Brexit negotiations not going well and I don't feel welcome in UK anymore. House up for sale...
So folks what do you think? Are the brexit negotiations going to have a happy ending for UK? I am really disappointed. I think the British are handing over their financial services to the Germans...
Old Sep 24th 2017, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your job search. You are not the first one who feels unwelcome and is leaving.

With regrad to Brexit, if the UK decides to contribute to the single market than yes a good deal is possible. There are still countries that need help and support. And it would be odd to allow the UK access to all those markets without contributing. So if the UK gets more flexibel and is prepared to pay a decent amount of money and will accept EU regulations than I see a good chance on a deal. The EU will not become more flexibel. I can't see that happening. The UK is important but not that important. At least in Germany the opinion of the government, the industry, and the people is surprisingly similar on the Brexit: No deal is better than a bad deal for the EU. A bad deal means giving the UK most of the goodies with no substantial contribution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.