Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Property prices and tax in Germany?

Property prices and tax in Germany?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Forres is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property prices and tax in Germany?

Hi there, I am interested in finding out about the property prices in northern Germany, round about Hannover, Berlin and Leipzig. Can anyone give me any web adresses of any estate agents in the region?
I currently live in Lithuania and my wife and I are thinking of buying an apartment in Germany to live part time. One more thing I would like to know about is tax in Germany. Is the taxation high?

While I am on the subject of Germany does anyone out there know much about the oil and gas industry in Germany? I am know there are a few companies operating there, mainly in Celle but I am looking for either operating companies or service companies that provides slickline, e-line or coil tubing.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property prices and tax in Germany?

I missed your post. One of the best websites for buying or renting property in Germany, is:
www.Immobilienscout24.de

Income tax is approx. 30%(40% if you include all the deductions, like social security, health insurance etc)VAT is 19%
Hope that is some use.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the information. I will follow up on the link you gave me.
Would you say Germany is similar to the UK economy wise, like being more expensive to live? Or is it less expensive living there?
Anyhow, thanks again.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't really help you as far as the UK is concerned, we haven't lived there for over 40 years. Cost of living varies in Germany. Our area, Munich, is one of the most expensive. Hamburg and Stuttgart are other expensive spots.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. Its 20 years since I left the UK but still compare everything to there. I should'nt really do that.

Can you comment on the Berlin area or anywhere in that region or Dresden or Liepzig? Compared to where you live?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Berlin is cheaper than Munich - it is called "das Armutshaus von Deutschland". Bad schools though, bad for finding employment, many poor people (German standards of course), but good for living if you buy property in the nicer areas and have a decent job. Also, if you like art Berlin is a city you should consider.
That said, even in Berlin prices are increasing. So if you would like to buy property, now would probably be a good time.
Can't really comment on Dresden and Liepzig.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I find the German property websites quite confusing. They sometimes call a house small then state a living area of 100 square metres or more. They sometimes say a place needs renovation when it looks fine in the photos. Is it that they generally have higher standards than we expect in UK? In Britain there are some really dodgy areas where crime is rife, there are drug dealers, prostitutes etc and property prices are low. I wonder if the same is true in Germany and the cheaper houses are in places where life would be intolerable?