Reload this Page >

Possible move to Germany

Possible move to Germany

Old Jun 28th 2016, 9:43 am
Just Joined

stickandsteffi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible move to Germany

Hello

My husband is British and I am German. We have two kids. He is a technology teacher. After the referendum we decided to explore our options in regards to moving to Germany. We are not doing this straight away but if we will see it as important for our family we will do so. As we never seriously considered this before we have no idea where to even begin. I am hoping you could point us in the right direction towards useful links and information. I am originally from Bavaria and we would like to go somewhere around there I think.

Thank you everyone.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Germany

Originally Posted by stickandsteffi
Hello

My husband is British and I am German. We have two kids. He is a technology teacher. After the referendum we decided to explore our options in regards to moving to Germany. We are not doing this straight away but if we will see it as important for our family we will do so. As we never seriously considered this before we have no idea where to even begin. I am hoping you could point us in the right direction towards useful links and information. I am originally from Bavaria and we would like to go somewhere around there I think.

Thank you everyone.
If you are from Germany, you will probably know the pros & cons. Regarding area, it really depends where your husband can find a job and what will you be doing? Is he fluent in German and how old are the kids? How do you live now and will a new place offer the same quality of life. Will you be buying renting etc.?
Old Jun 28th 2016, 10:05 am
Just Joined

I studied Heilpaedagogik as this does not exist here I am working random jobs that are very badly paid. If he can find a job at an international school maybe our standard of life would be higher in Germany (why we did not go there in first place I do wonder now). Kids 5 and 3. We are in Scotland so currently we are waiting what will happen here. It depends how many financial strains we will have to face through taken us out of the EU. Not sure if Germany allows dual citizenship so I might have a problm as I will not give up my German to get the British one and I assume that will have implications for healthcare, pension and work.
His German is minimal. We are planning to find out over the coming years and try to improve his German so if it is unavoidable we know what we are doing. I am probably a bit too worried but I like to have a contingency plan
Old Jun 28th 2016, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stickandsteffi
I studied Heilpaedagogik as this does not exist here I am working random jobs that are very badly paid. If he can find a job at an international school maybe our standard of life would be higher in Germany (why we did not go there in first place I do wonder now). Kids 5 and 3. We are in Scotland so currently we are waiting what will happen here. It depends how many financial strains we will have to face through taken us out of the EU. Not sure if Germany allows dual citizenship so I might have a problm as I will not give up my German to get the British one and I assume that will have implications for healthcare, pension and work.
His German is minimal. We are planning to find out over the coming years and try to improve his German so if it is unavoidable we know what we are doing. I am probably a bit too worried but I like to have a contingency plan

It just depends what you consider a good standard of living I suppose. House prices have gone up a lot in Germany too and especially in cities like München. For international schools you might have Augsburg, but I would say that most would be in or around München.

I'm in Ireland myself and although I do like parts of Germany and looked into the option of moving back a few years ago, I'm glad I didn't:-). We're all different, but I just couldn't find the right area (job) for a good work life balance. I just wouldn't want to give up living close to the ocean and where houses are cheap near the Nordsee, you have no jobs or a very long commute. Hamburg was too expensive and wouldn't want to live in a large city/apartment either. Other option where you have the feeling of ocean is Bodensee, but again very expensive and not that many jobs for me.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It just depends what you consider a good standard of living I suppose. House prices have gone up a lot in Germany too and especially in cities like München. For international schools you might have Augsburg, but I would say that most would be in or around München.

I'm in Ireland myself and although I do like parts of Germany and looked into the option of moving back a few years ago, I'm glad I didn't:-). We're all different, but I just couldn't find the right area (job) for a good work life balance. I just wouldn't want to give up living close to the ocean and where houses are cheap near the Nordsee, you have no jobs or a very long commute. Hamburg was too expensive and wouldn't want to live in a large city/apartment either. Other option where you have the feeling of ocean is Bodensee, but again very expensive and not that many jobs for me.
Well, that is what I am worrying about. International schools would mean close or in big city and yes, Munich is silly with prices. Augsburg I'll explore maybe. I really like Bamberg, Regensburg but that would be a bit hard without my husband working. Need to find out where international schools are. Not sure what other jobs he could do think he would be open for carreer change, he mentioned working for lego, lol. I have a lot of family in Germany and I prefer slightly more remote areas which are cheaper and would suit our life style, especially next to the bavarian forrest and the mountains but job wise that is hard. Just trying to get my head round what a move would mean and what we would need to consider as well. We lived in NZ for 2.5 years without kids and moved to Britain from there so have a bit of an idea of what it means to build a new life and leave it behind to start over (we left as we wanted to be in Europe closer to family, otherwise we quite enjoyed it after a very hard first year for me). And the money you spend along the way but that was before kids. Just collecting information and Experiences.
In britain there are a lit of facebook networks wondered if anyone knew of any networks in Germany?