Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Oz to Germany - Job Opportunities?

Oz to Germany - Job Opportunities?

Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

nickcon93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Oz to Germany - Job Opportunities?

Hey my name is Nick I'm a 19 year old student from Brisbane, Australia.

I am currently saving and looking to move over to Europe, particularly Germany in the new year and was wondering what my chances are of work of any caliber over there?

I have an Australian and British passport if this helps at all with my job seeking chances.

In short, I would like to know what kind of work opportunities there would be (if any) in Germany in 2013 for a person in my position.

Looking forward to the feedback,

Nick.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

nickcon93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz to Germany - Job Opportunities?

I'm only looking to stay there for around 6-12 months..!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nick, good to have a British passport. At least the work permit won't be a problem at all. Do you speak German? If yes, there will always be opportunities to work in bars, hostels, restaurants, movie theaters etc. pp. Best way is probably to stay in one of the bigger university cities and hang out with students who will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future

Hi Nick,

definitely good to have the British passport as otherwise you would need a special approval to work from German authorities, and they are difficult to get.

With the British one you should be able to work without a permit.

Having lived and worked in both Oz and Germany, I would say it is quite important that you speak German fairly well. Also it depends what kind of job you are looking for. In Germany employers are mostly looking for skilled people. Unskilled jobs are not paid well, and it is fairly expensive to live in Germany as we are finding out at the moment!

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed on the subject of proficiency in German. Do NOT listen to those who tell you that everyone in German speaks English. It is not as simple as that. After all they won the Peace didn't they ?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Danii30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nick, On another note; How did you obtain your British Passport ? I am currently applying for mine next week and will be a nervous wait seeing if I get it or not. I also am wanting to relocate to Germany. Thanks, Danii.