British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   opening a bank account in berlin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/opening-bank-account-berlin-901177/)

Novocastrian Aug 4th 2017 6:12 pm

opening a bank account in berlin

My elder son is going to Berlin to try to make a start there. He has the use of a cousin's apartment for a while and will be job seeking during his initial stay.

The question is, what chance has he of opening a basic account with a bank in Berlin to which he can transfer funds from his Canadian accounts? Are there "newcomer" offers as there are in Canada?

dmu Aug 5th 2017 7:14 am

Re: opening a bank account in berlin

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12309564)
My elder son is going to Berlin to try to make a start there. He has the use of a cousin's apartment for a while and will be job seeking during his initial stay.

The question is, what chance has he of opening a basic account with a bank in Berlin to which he can transfer funds from his Canadian accounts? Are there "newcomer" offers as there are in Canada?

DD1 chose to open a German internet banking account and can easily transfer from her French A/C if necessary, but we're in Euroland and I've no idea how international transfers work.

Novocastrian Aug 5th 2017 7:45 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12309861)
DD1 chose to open a German internet banking account and can easily transfer from her French A/C if necessary, but we're in Euroland and I've no idea how international transfers work.

Thanks dmu. Something like ING/Tangerine?

dmu Aug 5th 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12309870)
Thanks dmu. Something like ING/Tangerine?

I can't say off-hand, she's gone out for the moment. The name rings a bell, but maybe due to adverts on the TV! A+

Novocastrian Aug 5th 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12309871)
I can't say off-hand, she's gone out for the moment. The name rings a bell, but maybe due to adverts on the TV! A+

Hmmm. Adverts. Google suggests DKB and/or N26? Your daughter's input will be welcome. Thanks again.

dmu Aug 5th 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12309873)
Hmmm. Adverts. Google suggests DKB and/or N26? Your daughter's input will be welcome. Thanks again.

She's with Comdirect, but could equally well have chosen DKB. Apparently DD2 still has a German account, although she's moved back to France. We're skyping with her over the weekend and I'll ask what bank she's with...

Novocastrian Aug 5th 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12309931)
She's with Comdirect, but could equally well have chosen DKB. Apparently DD2 still has a German account, although she's moved back to France. We're skyping with her over the weekend and I'll ask what bank she's with...

Cheers for that. My DS1 who's in France with us at the moment also looked at Comdirect but seems to think that N26 might be a better fit. Don't ask me why. :huh:

scot47 Aug 5th 2017 10:14 pm

I opened an account in Germany while visiting. I needed my passport and some money. Downside in Germany is that all bank accounts cost you. No free banking !

dmu Aug 6th 2017 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12309964)
Cheers for that. My DS1 who's in France with us at the moment also looked at Comdirect but seems to think that N26 might be a better fit. Don't ask me why. :huh:

DD2 is with DKB, but says that nowadays they are more selective than in the past. You need an income, apparently, in order to open an account, they don't accept just anyone (e.g. her, a student, at the time), any more...
Hope all this is of some help!
P.S. DD1, on the spot, has never heard of N26....

Novocastrian Aug 6th 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12310369)
DD2 is with DKB, but says that nowadays they are more selective than in the past. You need an income, apparently, in order to open an account, they don't accept just anyone (e.g. her, a student, at the time), any more...
Hope all this is of some help!
P.S. DD1, on the spot, has never heard of N26....

Merci encore. I read of the DKB selectivity and of N26 here https://www.movingto-berlin.com/german-bank-account/

amideislas Aug 7th 2017 1:27 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12310179)
I opened an account in Germany while visiting. I needed my passport and some money. Downside in Germany is that all bank accounts cost you. No free banking !

I have news for you: banks aren't philanthropic. There is no such thing as "free banking". They just get their money in a more transparent way.

Kind of like that "free" iPhone you get with your mobile contract, where you ultimately pay 20% more than if you bought it at MediaMarkt.

Free? That sounds expensive!

scot47 Aug 7th 2017 4:05 am

No free lunches ?

dzabski Nov 3rd 2017 7:50 pm

most bank accounts are free for 1 year. But after the first year you can move your account to a different bank and enjoy a free banking again :)

EkatVA Nov 9th 2017 4:54 pm

I'd recommend N26 - easier to open than many other German accounts. They also have a really good app and customer service.

Novocastrian Nov 9th 2017 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by EkatVA (Post 12378610)
I'd recommend N26 - easier to open than many other German accounts. They also have a really good app and customer service.

That's what my son did in fact. So far it appears to work fine. I had no problem transferring some money from a UK account to his N26 account.

ETA: Not my money, but an inheritance from his Grandfather's estate.