Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

As the names suggests, Bored Londoner...

As the names suggests, Bored Londoner...

Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

tiredoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default As the names suggests, Bored Londoner...

... sick of London and England in general, thinking of moving to Germany. Have just been to Berlin and really enjoyed it, found the general atmosphere of the place such a breath of fresh air - would really appreciate some advice:

My German isn't great (studied at Uni as a minor for 2 years 04-06), so have sort of lost it, but on going there it all seemed to come back pretty quickly (I was always quite good at picking up words, just crap at grammar), so I think if I studied in my spare time for about six months I'd have enough to move provided I made maybe two short trips in the meantime and immersed myself in some German speaking.

The problem would be getting work. How difficult is it to find work if your German isn't that good? I'm not after anything complicated, a bar job or something would do for the first six months or so, as I think after six months living there I'd be reasonably fluent considering the education I've already had, or at least enough to start applying for something a bit more substantial than bar work (I currently work in payroll/accounts admin for a company in London). Does it differ from city to city/area to area?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As the names suggests, Bored Londoner...

Originally Posted by tiredoflondon
... sick of London and England in general, thinking of moving to Germany. Have just been to Berlin and really enjoyed it, found the general atmosphere of the place such a breath of fresh air - would really appreciate some advice:

My German isn't great (studied at Uni as a minor for 2 years 04-06), so have sort of lost it, but on going there it all seemed to come back pretty quickly (I was always quite good at picking up words, just crap at grammar), so I think if I studied in my spare time for about six months I'd have enough to move provided I made maybe two short trips in the meantime and immersed myself in some German speaking.

The problem would be getting work. How difficult is it to find work if your German isn't that good? I'm not after anything complicated, a bar job or something would do for the first six months or so, as I think after six months living there I'd be reasonably fluent considering the education I've already had, or at least enough to start applying for something a bit more substantial than bar work (I currently work in payroll/accounts admin for a company in London). Does it differ from city to city/area to area?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks.
I think to find a job in the hospitality area in Berlin should be possible. That is what Berlin is famous for: low-paid service jobs. If you want to apply for something more substantial it will depend in which area you want to work. Webdesign, the arts, hotels...than Berlin is the place to be. In most other areas you will have problems finding work in Berlin (it is not impossible though but difficult). Unemployment is about 13% and nearly no big or really productive companies are located in Berlin. In the German South unemployment is around 3-4% - just as a comparison.
I don't know how you feel about winter, but the winter in Berlin is quite harsh. Last year we had about 3 months solid frozen ice an the ground. In the winter Berlin is also a very grey city. So maybe wait till spring if you don't like winter.

In any case, I think you should have some money saved. You might not be able to find a job right away. Berlin is not that expensive but it is getting there. I think rents rose 20% in recent times. Have a look here - shared flats:
http://www.studenten-wg.de/angebote_...etailsuche=aus
Or if you like an apartment on your own:
http://www.immobilienscout24.de/
I think you will need about 250 Euros for food a month - if you don't go overboard, you might be able to live of even less.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:29 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
I think you will need about 250 Euros for food a month - if you don't go overboard, you might be able to live of even less.
Hi, my two daughters both live in Berlin. Neither eat meat and they each spend about this average of 8€ per day on food.... Count at least 300€ per month if you aren't a vegetarian....
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this webpage:
http://www.toytowngermany.com/jobs/

Maybe you can find a job there.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 2:06 pm
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

If you have some German, I would say definitely go for it. There are a few bars and pubs that you can get away with speaking English in, but you will (obviously) have far more opportunities the more German you know.

There are lots of good points to Berlin. I think their transport system is great, there are lots of things to do, clubs and bars are quite good, and there are many nice green and water areas to see. Assanah is right about the winters though, so if you don't like cold and crisp, maybe think again.

In my opinion it's always a benefit to go and live in a completely new setting and culture for as long as you can manage it. It teaches you so much about yourself. In the end you can always go back to England when you feel the need.
Good luck to you