Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Moving From UK To Germany

Moving From UK To Germany

Old Jul 28th 2018, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving From UK To Germany

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Visiting a country and living in a country is very different. Before you move why don't you move alone to find out what everyday life is like, find a job and apartment (cost), learn German. If all works out, then give up home in U.K. Germany has changed a lot over recent years. Housing is expensive and in very short supply. Jobs are there but there is competition for jobs from folks moving from other EU countries. They learn German prior to arrival.
Why do you think there is better outdoor life in Germany? Weather is not so much better. Winters are colder, heating costs will be higher. As somebody pointed out, 2 dogs to live in an apartment may be difficult.
We lived in Germany, owned property, we sold recently. We are glad to have cut the ties. My husband is a Brit.
You seem to equate winter with no outdoor life? Why is that? I am looking forward to winter! I love skiing, ice skating, hiking in snowy woods.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at Munich..it might tick all the right boxes.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
Take a look at Munich..it might tick all the right boxes.
We live just outside Munich near a lovely town called Erding (home of Erdinger beer) and as far as weather and outdoor lifestyle potential goes, it is hands down well ahead of anywhere in the UK with the Alps on the doorstep and as much cycling/kayaking/mountain biking/hiking to keep anyone happy. Admittedly, the weather in summer can be a little hot to make some of aforementioned pursuits enjoyable, but most weeks are fine.

I can't comment on the IT job market and english language requirements for a job.

However, whilst Bavaria has some fantastic benefits, house prices (buying and renting) are very high and in very short supply, although salaries are also very high if you have a good job. The traffic on the autobahns to get to the best outdoor pursuits can be very busy (getting back from a weekend in Austria/Italy on a Sunday is not advisable unless you travel very early/late). We are 1 hour away from some good local ski hills and 1:40 away from some world class skiing in Austria (Zillertal, Kitzbuhel etc) - an excellent choice for any winter sports fan.

The Bavarian people take some getting used to - it isn't that they are unfriendly, but a lot of behaviours in Bavaria would be considered rude (at best) in the UK and you have to adjust to that. We leave Germany at the end of the year and overall, I am looking forward to leaving. I am pleased that we have had a few years here, but I don't think we will return.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 6:48 am
Just Joined

GreenMekon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts, it certainly give the wife and I something to think about and discuss.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A bavarian was described by Bismarck as a cross between a Human Being and an Austrian.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 6:20 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
A bavarian was described by Bismarck as a cross between a Human Being and an Austrian.
Slightly going off topic. I was outsourced for four years to Japanese IT services company. Lovely people, best HR ever, and my country manager was an absolute hoot. Out and out Swiss German, he enjoyed a good joke when we were offsite in relax mode.

One evening we are chatting on the most amazing sailing trip on Lac Leman, and he says "Multi-lingual user manuals for domestic appliances"

Me "Ok, what about them?" He "why do they put pictures in?"

I shook my head, he said "It's only for the benefit of the Austrians"
Old Aug 11th 2018, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Slightly going off topic. I was outsourced for four years to Japanese IT services company. Lovely people, best HR ever, and my country manager was an absolute hoot. Out and out Swiss German, he enjoyed a good joke when we were offsite in relax mode.

One evening we are chatting on the most amazing sailing trip on Lac Leman, and he says "Multi-lingual user manuals for domestic appliances"

And what has your comment got to do with OP's question?
Old Aug 11th 2018, 2:02 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
And what has your comment got to do with OP's question?
Nothing whatsoever which is why I said 'off topic'. I was picking up on scot47's post.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa !

For those with no classical education, this is the Latin for "That is a fair cop, Guv. It was me wot done it."
Old Aug 11th 2018, 3:14 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by scot47
Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa !

For those with no classical education, this is the Latin for "That is a fair cop, Guv. It was me wot done it."
But I'm the real baddie here As mentioned in another thread, I don't argue, but my one offence is going off topic...

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Aug 11th 2018 at 3:20 pm. Reason: Spelling again. Can't seem to get it right on weekends.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 8:52 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy

I always thought it was for the Australians having pictures must make easier when the manual is upside down.