Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Moving money (small amt) from UK to German bank?

Moving money (small amt) from UK to German bank?

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 4:42 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving money (small amt) from UK to German bank?

Hi all, I am a visitor in this forum. I live in the US now.

I am trying to buy a Christmas present for my DH from an ebay seller located in Germany. He requires bank transfer for payment. I still have my UK bank account and I was wondering if anyone here knows if/how I could use it to send money to Germany. We're talking a small amount - 12 euro for shipping and the bid price is 3 euro at the moment, and I'm hoping the bid will stay below 20. I also have Paypal but he doesn't seem to take Paypal.

Thanks in advance for anything you could tell me!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:17 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money (small amt) from UK to German bank?

Nevermind, I have found out the answer: 25 pound charge from my bank! Fortunately an old friend of mine from Germany is going to help me out.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Forres is an unknown quantity at this point

That can be a difficult or awkward one with British banks. If you are set up for internet banking or telephone banking with the facility to send wire transfers online or by phone then it should be easy but not many British banks offer this facility, you will need his IBAN number and S.W.I.F.T. code. Your best to do the transfer from your US account by going into the bank in person. I always find British banks harder to deal with, thats why I do all my banking over seas.

Regards

Forres
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

With eBay I prefer to use paypal. Or I use mastercard. When we inherited we simply transferred the money from the UK to Germany, the charges were not too bad, but it is not worth doing that for small amounts.