Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

MOVING TO GERMANY FROM UNITED STATES

MOVING TO GERMANY FROM UNITED STATES

Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:18 am
Just Joined

findingherself is on a distinguished road
Default MOVING TO GERMANY FROM UNITED STATES

My husband and I are moving to Germany (Stuttgart )
i'm not only nervous about moving somewhere so far away from home but i'm confused on what to bring! furniture and clothing.Is furniture and thing cheaper or not. i have no idea how to speak German ..sigh ..
i'm trying to do this positive and open minded but its soooooooooooooo hard.

is there any type of house good i should bring with me. Any advice ? i'm all ears.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:52 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING TO GERMANY FROM UNITED STATES

Originally Posted by findingherself
i'm not only nervous about moving somewhere so far away from home but i'm confused on what to bring! furniture and clothing.Is furniture and thing cheaper or not. i have no idea how to speak German ..sigh ..

is there any type of house good i should bring with me. Any advice ? i'm all ears.
Definitely take bog roll. That narrow European stuff will get you into all sorts of trouble. But leave the beer at home. Theirs is better.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget the kitchen sink. And the taps.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:12 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

And all the clothes you've bought since the 1980s.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Well, both options are expensive. I would not send your furniture unless it is really top quality or you really love them . Sometimes it can be a comfort to have your things around you in a foreign land. You can also always buy reasonably cheap furniture in Germany. Look at the websites of Ikea for example or google "möbel", "möbelhaus", "einrichtungshaus" in Stuttgart. You will be able to compare prices. I think you should be able to navigate the sites - you only need a few German words - such as Wohnzimmer - living room, badezimmer - bathroom, Bett -bed, Tisch -table. You'll figure it out.
I would pack as many of your favorites clothes as possible - if you move now take your winter clothes and have the rest send over later.
Enjoy your stay in Stuttgart. My sister lives there.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

Originally Posted by findingherself

Hi, Were currently living in the US too and were moving to Erbach Germany in December.. I would say it depends whether your paying for the shipping of your furniture on whether you should take it.. transport can be expensive so if you are I would properly buy again in Germany..

Clothes etc are definitely cheaper here in the US. so maybe treat yourself to a new wardrobe before the move. I know i have for our move, our company is paying our shipping so where taking most off our furniture (however think the King Bed has to stay here! Can't find an apartment big enough! LOL) Bought new clothes (especially winter stuff) /shoes for the family, and new bikes for us all as they were definitely cheaper to buy here here.

If you do ship anything, make sure it doesn't look new or be prepared to pay tax again. ensure all new tags are taken of clothes and things look used. also if things are new it may delay your shipment at customs unless you have declared everything

Good luck with your move
Old Nov 5th 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum.
One thing you should note is that all electrical appliances in the USA are not designed for use here. Germany (Europe) uses 230 volts. Otherwise unless someone is paying your removals sell up in the USA and buy here. The language is a problem you can solve here. In Stuttgart they speak with a strong dialect anyway!
Bring warm clothing, the winter is beginning here. It could last until May.
Try to think of the move as an extended 'holiday', the area you are moving to is beautiful. Once here you will make friends and if you have family back home, connect to Skype on internet, then you can see who you are talking to live, we use it to speak to our family and friends all over the world. It is free.
Any other questions, please fire away.