British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   Moving to Germany after Brexit Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/moving-germany-after-brexit-advice-922811/)

SophRuss5 Mar 2nd 2019 11:28 am

Moving to Germany after Brexit Advice

Hello there, my name is Sophie and I am just looking for some advice as googling mainly brings up advice for people already in Germany.
My partner is German and we have been living and working together in Canada, France and UK for the past 3 years and have finally decided to settle in Germany. We both have a job offer starting in May and our current jobs in France do not end until end of April.
I was just looking for some advice or even ease of the process to get a social security and health insurance so that I can work after brexit occurs.
I have basic German, am learning everyday but was hoping to learn via immersion when we get there. My sister and her husband and children all live and work in Germany, and I was hoping to register at her address when we first get there as we will be working in a remote alpine hut over the summer so will not have our own address.
My real concern is the process to apply for the social security after brexit. Would it be worth while to fly to Germany for a couple of days before the 29th and apply or will this not make a difference.
As I would be arriving after March 29th would I have to apply for a visa and therefore need to pass a language test etc?
Thank you in advance and any information or direction where I can find out how best to move forward is greatly appriciated!
Sophie

BritInParis Mar 2nd 2019 12:41 pm

Re: Moving to Germany after Brexit Advice

It will depend entirely on what happens over the next two weeks. If A50 is extended until June then you’ll be able to move to Germany and register as an EU citizen. You’ll then be subject to whatever procedure is introduced for British citizens resident in Germany after Brexit. Likewise if some form of Mrs May’s deal is passed in Parliament and accepted by the EU. If there’s a ‘no deal’ scenario then you’ll potentially need a family reunification visa.

Thairetired2016 Mar 4th 2019 1:38 pm

Re: Moving to Germany after Brexit Advice

Originally Posted by SophRuss5 (Post 12646596)
Hello there, my name is Sophie and I am just looking for some advice as googling mainly brings up advice for people already in Germany.
My partner is German and we have been living and working together in Canada, France and UK for the past 3 years and have finally decided to settle in Germany. We both have a job offer starting in May and our current jobs in France do not end until end of April.
I was just looking for some advice or even ease of the process to get a social security and health insurance so that I can work after brexit occurs.
I have basic German, am learning everyday but was hoping to learn via immersion when we get there. My sister and her husband and children all live and work in Germany, and I was hoping to register at her address when we first get there as we will be working in a remote alpine hut over the summer so will not have our own address.
My real concern is the process to apply for the social security after brexit. Would it be worth while to fly to Germany for a couple of days before the 29th and apply or will this not make a difference.
As I would be arriving after March 29th would I have to apply for a visa and therefore need to pass a language test etc?
Thank you in advance and any information or direction where I can find out how best to move forward is greatly appriciated!
Sophie

You will get social security, medical aid and tax no. once your employer registers you. He has to deduct contributions and tax from what you get paid.
You have to register with Einwohnermeldeamt at the place where you live. Your landlord has to sign this form. This may be the nearest village to your work or often it is the address of your employer in your case.
Arriving before March 29 won't give you tax no. etc. just an address with your family member. Don't overlook to buy private medical aid (compulsory) or get an EHIC form until you are covered through work.
Nobody knows how the Brexit drama will play out, will we need a visa after 29/3?