Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Moving to Germany

Moving to Germany

Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Dknotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Germany

I am UK based and have a job offer in Germany, which I am seriously considering.

My probationary period is 6 months and I would want to be UK based, with travel to Germany during the probationary period and then relocate with the family to Germany once this is completed. I understand there are Social Security implications being based in a different country.

Is anyone here in the know on this? What are the implications for me?

Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Germany

What do you understand by "UK-based"? Not registered as being resident in Germany?

What do you understand by "travel to Germany during the probationary period"? Returning to your family every weekend?

Take a look at this page:

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/work-abroad/cross-border-commuters/index_en.htm

Going by the information on this page, you'd have to return to the UK at least every weekend to qualify as a cross-border commuter under EU law. It's also probable that even that won't apply as of 1 January 2021.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Dknotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Watchpost
What do you understand by "UK-based"? Not registered as being resident in Germany?

What do you understand by "travel to Germany during the probationary period"? Returning to your family every weekend?

Take a look at this page:

Going by the information on this page, you'd have to return to the UK at least every weekend to qualify as a cross-border commuter under EU law. It's also probable that even that won't apply as of 1 January 2021.
Thanks for the reply.

Because of Covid, the offices are open a week on / week off. I would probably, therefore be travelling a week on / week off to Germany and would probably have 4-5 days in the office each trip. Of course if there is another lock down that will reduce.

Bearing all this in mind, I don't believe I would qualify as a cross border worker but would be resident in the UK whilst being paid abroad (at least initially).

Last edited by Dknotty; Sep 16th 2020 at 12:44 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 7:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dknotty
Thanks for the reply.

Because of Covid, the offices are open a week on / week off. I would probably, therefore be travelling a week on / week off to Germany and would probably have 4-5 days in the office each trip. Of course if there is another lock down that will reduce.

Bearing all this in mind, I don't believe I would qualify as a cross border worker but would be resident in the UK whilst being paid abroad (at least initially).

Hi, I realise that a separation from your family would be hard, but wouldn't it be simpler/cheaper/less tiring, to stay put in Germany for the 6 months? Whereabouts is the job located? How long would the journey from door-to-door be, each time? How would you organise your accommodation, with one week on, one week off? How would you manage if travel restrictions (flights cancelled, quarantine, ....) prevented you from moving back and forth?
If you stay put, you could visit your family and they could visit you, alternately once a month for example, and the six months would pass quickly....
P.S. Will you be working at home during the time that you're in the UK? You'd have to ask your future employer about this status, but you'd surely be paying full Social Security contributions in Germany...
HTH
Old Sep 20th 2020, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dknotty
Thanks for the reply.

If you want to remain resident in the UK, and you are not registered in Germany by 31 Dec you will no longer enjoy freedom of movement once you plan to move. Paperwork will become more involved. I would ask the prospective employer if they agree with your idea about remaining in the UK.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

takhtar is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to work in Germany. Because of family, i decided to move to UK. My German employer agreed to allow me to do 100% home office from UK and arranged to register an instance in the UK to manage my salary locally in the UK.

I dont know if this would be a possibility in your case. Depends on the nature of your job. If it can be done 100% home office. Cheers.