British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   Moving to Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/moving-germany-897877/)

scottmac889 Jun 11th 2017 10:50 am

Moving to Germany

Hi folks, I am a 27 year old Scotsman. My names Scott MacIntosh and i'm looking for help finding work and a flat in Germany preferably Dusseldorf/Leverkusen/Dortmund sort of area. I am an HGV Class 2 or Category C driver. Any help would be massively appreciated as i am a bit stuck with what to do. Thanks in advance

Assanah Jun 11th 2017 3:17 pm

Re: Moving to Germany

Originally Posted by scottmac889 (Post 12270430)
Hi folks, I am a 27 year old Scotsman. My names Scott MacIntosh and i'm looking for help finding work and a flat in Germany preferably Dusseldorf/Leverkusen/Dortmund sort of area. I am an HGV Class 2 or Category C driver. Any help would be massively appreciated as i am a bit stuck with what to do. Thanks in advance

Hi there, do you speak German? With German it will be a lot easier to find a job and an apartment.
The labour market in Germany is very good at the moment. Not sure though what your profession is called in German - Lkw-Fahrer maybe??
Have a look at
www.stepstone.de
www.kimeta.de
There are quite a few search pages concentrating on truck drivers only. I am not sure though if they are good
Truck-job.de
Fahr-zeit.de

Finding an apartment might be difficult without a job. Most landlords want to see proof of income - usually the last three months. Might be worth looking into temporary rental first. It is called "wohnen auf" in German.
www.immobilienscout.de gives you options.

Just be advised that long-term rentals usually don't come with a kitchen. Something people from the UK in Germany always complain about... Rightfully in my view but still doesn't change the fact that long-term rentals usually have no kitchen and the renter needs to bring his own kitchen.

Toytown Germany is a good and very active website of expats in Germany.

scottmac889 Jun 11th 2017 3:58 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. I am taking German lessons and my tutor says i am doing well. I have my own kitchen stuff (Freezer,Washing Machine,Drier and smaller items) i have pretty much everything to move in to an empty house. Proof of income isn't an issue to be honest unless it's 3 months in Germany. In an ideal world i'd like to get a job with accommodation or some sort of agency that would house and find me work but i think that's a pipe dream. I'll have a look on they sites and see what i find. Thanks

Novocastrian Jun 11th 2017 4:25 pm

Just to clarify Assanah's helpful post the full name for temporary accommodation is Wohnen auf Zeit (although "Wohnen auf" might well be current patois for all I know.

Assanah Jun 11th 2017 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12270650)
Just to clarify Assanah's helpful post the full name for temporary accommodation is Wohnen auf Zeit (although "Wohnen auf" might well be current patois for all I know.

You are right. It is "wohnen auf Zeit"!

Assanah Jun 11th 2017 6:12 pm

Not sure if this is any good but they have a site in English
https://www.eurodrivers.de/truck-driver-jobs/

slammer Jun 12th 2017 6:27 am

Originally Posted by scottmac889 (Post 12270430)

Scott MacIntosh, youuuuuu probably didn´t need to tell where you came from, I kinda guessed it.
As far as I know you will need to have a conversion done for your HGV license if you wish to work for a German hauler, also you will be competing with eastern european drivers who work for peanuts, it´s going to be a rough ride.

scottmac889 Jun 12th 2017 6:43 am

I'm competing with that over here anyway may aswell do it somewhere I want to be.

slammer Jun 12th 2017 11:47 am

That´s the correct attitude in my humble opinion.

calman014 Jun 15th 2017 8:44 pm

Good luck..you might also like to look at : de.indeed.com for jobs