Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

moving to Germany

moving to Germany

Old Aug 21st 2015, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Germany

Originally Posted by AEAD
well I get your point but as we have 2 little kids we better move now than later. financially we are definitely on the safe site and don't need to worry for while - but will have to find work one day.
Good point with the kids, but apart from that there must be other reasons? Is it just because of family, or are you looking for a better quality of life? Luckily your husband is a carpenter, so it is possible to work without much German. There are many in the building trade who don't speak a word of German, but he will probably have to start at very low level. It always depends what expectations you have and sometimes you need to be lucky. Germany is full with people who don't speak a word of German, but they usually had nothing back home. The Turkish and Italian obviously look after their own first and I had a neighbour who managed to survive for 20 years without a word of German, but he only worked for Italians.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In post-imperial, post-industrial Britain more and more are desperate to leave. Not just to Germany, eg -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/nethe...olland-863712/

The traditional migrant goals of Australia, Canada, NZ, South Africa have closed their doors so Brits with minimal skills are left with the EU as a destination.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

AEAD is an unknown quantity at this point

oh well, non of these countries would have ever been a choice for us as I am saying, we do have 2 kids and life without kids was much easier in UK. we don't want to send the kids here to school. we want them to grow up with family around. we want for our family an adequate standard of living. we also have to think of our parents, as they won't get younger. somebody will have to look after them as well. we weren't even able to get a visitor visa for my father in law... all in all we are quite fed up Britain has never been the destination of my dreams nor of my husbands dreams - so it's time to move on before it's too late. simples!
it is not planned that my husband will stay without german knowledge but at the moment there is not enough time to learn it properly as he tries to earn a couple of £ before we gonna leave.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

AEAD is an unknown quantity at this point

so, finally called the embassy - and they confirmed that no language knowledge is required as my husbands settles with us together. at least one problem less.
now it's time to find the place to be...
Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AEAD
so, finally called the embassy - and they confirmed that no language knowledge is required as my husbands settles with us together. at least one problem less.
now it's time to find the place to be...
You should hurry as you will be only one among a million of new comers who all need a place to stay and a job. I hope you have enough money otherwise happy fighting.