Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Midsummer's Day 1919

Midsummer's Day 1919

Old Jun 22nd 2019, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Midsummer's Day 1919

The German High Fleet - 74 warships - was scuttled at Scapa Flow, the anchorage at the centre of the Orkney islands. Germany did not want to hand them over to the Allies, which they feared would be a condition of the Peace Treaty. In a short space the entire fleet went to the bottom. There were fatalities. A party of Orkney schoolchildren on a boat trip witnessed the incident. The event is remembered locally in Orkney but has not entered the consciousness of people further afield. In Germany at the time it was seen as the honourable solution.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midsummer's Day 1919

Thanks for this Scot, an event in history I wasn't aware of.
An interesting summary of events can be found HERE.
An even more interesting snippet HERE is that 4 of the wrecks ended up under the ownership of a salvage company and were subsequently re-purchased.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The ones that were salvaged went to a Breaker's Yard on the shores of the Forth at Inverkeithing.
My question was "Why did I not hear about these events when i was growing up on the shores of the Forth ?"
Old Jun 25th 2019, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
The ones that were salvaged went to a Breaker's Yard on the shores of the Forth at Inverkeithing.
My question was "Why did I not hear about these events when i was growing up on the shores of the Forth ?"
Having an interest in scuba diving, I knew about the ships in Scapa Flow, although I can't remember if I learned about them in the history class at school or not..too long ago I'm afraid.. I certainly didn't know there were 74 of them... quite fascinating.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Few are left now. Certainly not the 74 that were scuttled on orders from The High Command in Germany. (By June 1919 no longer "Imperial" but "Republican")