Reload this Page >

Just booked a flight to Frankfurt - Maybe to move

Just booked a flight to Frankfurt - Maybe to move

Old Dec 31st 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

John D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just booked a flight to Frankfurt - Maybe to move

Hey,

I just booked a flight (literally 10 minutes ago) to Frankfurt for me and my girlfriend, we are just going for 4 days to see the country, but thinking of moving there.

I would like some suggestions on where we can go (For both holiday and work) please

I have never been to Germany so I really don't know anything about it.

Thanks for any help and happy new year!
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just booked a flight to Frankfurt - Maybe to move

Originally Posted by John D
Hey,

I just booked a flight (literally 10 minutes ago) to Frankfurt for me and my girlfriend, we are just going for 4 days to see the country, but thinking of moving there.

I would like some suggestions on where we can go (For both holiday and work) please

I'm curious that you've booked a flight, but don't seem to have made any plans.

Our members can probably provide helpful information if you give some idea what you want to do. Four days isn't long for your trip, so you need to decide which part of the country you wish to visit. How will you travel after you've arrived at Frankfurt? There is a lot to see in Germany, it is richly endowed with tourist attractions, and if you know nothing about the country, what sort of work would you be seeking?
Old Jan 1st 2013, 11:10 am
Just Joined

TrishOs is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you enjoy your short stay in this beautiful country, but if you're hoping to work here, do you speak German? I know people seem to think that 'everybody speaks English', but they don't.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John D
Hey,

Hi, if it were me (but then I'd organise it all beforehand), I'd visit Koblenz and the Rhein/Mosel, Heidelberg, and the Würzburg/Rothenburg/Nürnberg triangle (although I've never been to the latter, but the area is on my list). In any case, as already stated, 4 days isn't enough, even as tourists, let alone getting a feel of the country....
Presumably you'd be hiring a car, otherwise you'd be limited to the train schedules....
As for working, I'll leave it to those actually living in Germany to advise.
You'd need to give more info about your lines of work and whether you speak German, and consider practical questions such as healthcare coverage (if you are only "friends", you wouldn't get reciprocal benefits) and how you'd survive if you don't find work.
If you've never been to Germany and are thinking of moving there, then you've got a lot of homework to do!

P.S. Have just seen your post in the Lounge Forum. Others on the German forum can advise you on job opportunities for your gf. I can simply say that my Anglo-French daughter has just (after a long search) found a part-time job teaching French and English in Berlin, but then she's fluent in German. You need to master the Grammars of each language to be able to explain the differences to the students.... And, (this is based on an identical situation in France), you yourself would have to set up a German business structure if you are Resident in Germany.

Last edited by dmu; Jan 1st 2013 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

To function as an idependent adult in Germany you need a knowledge of the German langauge. "They all speak English," is simply not true.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

John D is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies

I'm curious that you've booked a flight, but don't seem to have made any plans.
I just booked it for a quick break for us but my girlfriend said she would like to see about work there, I wasn't planning on that at all.

and if you know nothing about the country, what sort of work would you be seeking?
I work online myself, my girlfriend is looking for a job.
She speaks quite a few languages so hopefully she can find something - She is from Czech Republic but fluent in a few languages.

She has been to Germany a few times so she knows some places, I haven't been there at all myself.

P.S. Have just seen your post in the Lounge Forum. Others on the German forum can advise you on job opportunities for your gf. I can simply say that my Anglo-French daughter has just (after a long search) found a part-time job teaching French and English in Berlin, but then she's fluent in German. You need to master the Grammars of each language to be able to explain the differences to the students.... And, (this is based on an identical situation in France), you yourself would have to set up a German business structure if you are Resident in Germany.
Great info, thank you very much

Thanks to everyone that replied