Reload this Page >

Information for Aachen, Germany

Information for Aachen, Germany

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

remedy451 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Information for Aachen, Germany

Hi there,

I am contemplating accepting a 6-month contract in Aachen. Can anyone familiar with this city please assist me by answering the following questions:

1. Where can I start my search for accomodation? I am looking for a furnished/serviced 2-bedroom flat?

2. What should be the monthly rental (all-inclusive) for the type of apartment I am seeking in #1?

3. Are there other neighboring cities/towns that I should consider residing in and commuting to Aachen - i.e. Koln, Duesseldorf, etc.?

4. I have a 3-year old son who will be starting pre-school - any recommendations for pre-schools in the area?

5. Anyone that has lived in Aachen - likes and dislikes?

6. I also have a potential contract in Munich - which would you pick - Aachen or Munich? The Munich contract pays about 25% more.

7. Any other cost-of-living information for Aachen - groceries, utilities, internet access, telephone, etc.

Your prompt response to the above is greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision by early next week.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 6:22 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information for Aachen, Germany

Originally Posted by remedy451
Hi there,

I am contemplating accepting a 6-month contract in Aachen. Can anyone familiar with this city please assist me by answering the following questions:

1. Where can I start my search for accomodation? I am looking for a furnished/serviced 2-bedroom flat?

2. What should be the monthly rental (all-inclusive) for the type of apartment I am seeking in #1?

3. Are there other neighboring cities/towns that I should consider residing in and commuting to Aachen - i.e. Koln, Duesseldorf, etc.?

4. I have a 3-year old son who will be starting pre-school - any recommendations for pre-schools in the area?

5. Anyone that has lived in Aachen - likes and dislikes?

6. I also have a potential contract in Munich - which would you pick - Aachen or Munich? The Munich contract pays about 25% more.

7. Any other cost-of-living information for Aachen - groceries, utilities, internet access, telephone, etc.

Your prompt response to the above is greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision by early next week.

Thanks in advance!
I can't help much but I've been to both Aachen and Munich and in terms of where i'd want to live and bring up a child it would definately have to be Aachen!

It's a gloriously lovely little town close to the Belgium border so close to Antwep and Brussels also not that far to drive to Calais to hop on a ferry back to the UK. (approx 4.5 hrs drive to Calais) and a very easy route.

As Aachen is on the border of Belgium you get a very cosmopolitian vibe, coffee shops, bars etc it's very vibrant during the summer period.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Tuerki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information for Aachen, Germany

Hi! I´m not German myself but ´ve been living in Cologne for about 4 years. I´d recommend you to go to Munich. Aachen´s just TOO small... nothing ever happens there.... and there´s a lot to do in Munich, also for children etc.
To look for a flat choose www.immoscout.de, then "Wohnen" and "Wohnung mieten". (Still flats are more cheaper and easier to find in Aachen, of course. 25% more salary in Munich will be just enough to cover higher costs of living there.) It´s possible to live in Cologne and work in Aachen, but you´ll need to drive about 50 minutes every day and there´re always traffic jams :-(