Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

if you had a choice, germany, canada or australia

if you had a choice, germany, canada or australia

Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: if you had a choice, germany, canada or australia

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
hi, i'm german originally from near munic but lived 6 years in hamburg, cannot recommend that city. it is either rough and dirty or expensive. then moved to england and now live in ontario canada. it really depends what you want and expect. in regards of raising kids and loads of space and affordable house prices i think canada is best, at least where we live. the south of germany, around munic and heidelberg is great but expensive. would not move anywhere else unless you want to party all night then prob hamburg or berlin are good.
Are you seriously saying that you would not move any were else then the south of Germany??

I'm German myself and this is a ridiculous statement..Germany has many beautiful corner..not just the south.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Are you seriously saying that you would not move any were else then the south of Germany??

I'm German myself and this is a ridiculous statement..Germany has many beautiful corner..not just the south.
I lived all over Germany and have relatives all over the country but I do think, and that is just my opinion, that the areas around Heidelberg, Bodensee, Munic, Odenwald are the nicest to raise a family. Big cities near by but lots of country side to live in, lakes, mountains etc. nice seasons. like I said just my personal opinion.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I lived all over Germany and have relatives all over the country but I do think, and that is just my opinion, that the areas around Heidelberg, Bodensee, Munic, Odenwald are the nicest to raise a family. Big cities near by but lots of country side to live in, lakes, mountains etc. nice seasons. like I said just my personal opinion.
That sounds slightly different then "would not move anywhere else unless you want to party all night then prob hamburg or berlin are good."

Of course there are super nice areas to live in, but that does not mean that the rest is shit.

Its like here, not everybody can live in the lake district, but there are other nice areas aswell.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in the lake District near Munich. Have to admit its our favourite part of Germany. Munich is a lovely small town. I also like Berlin and enjoy going to the coastal regions, but Bavaria seems best to live in.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notathome
We live in the lake District near Munich. Have to admit its our favourite part of Germany. Munich is a lovely small town. I also like Berlin and enjoy going to the coastal regions, but Bavaria seems best to live in.
"Munich is a lovely small town." Yeah right, like Berlin eh..
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Not quite sure what point you are making. Berlin is a large town.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notathome
Not quite sure what point you are making. Berlin is a large town.
Its supposed to be a joke...since when is Munich a small town and were is the lake district in Germany?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry! I consider Munich a small. cosy town, maybe because I was brought up in London.
The lake District is in Landkreis Starnberg, five lakes: Starnbergersee, Ammersee, Pilsensee, Worthsee and Wesslingersee, all on the S-Bahn from Munich. A beautiful area, where we have been lucky enough to live for the past 40 years (apart from 5 years in the middle, where work took us to Holland).
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:52 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Australia = Hot And Humid ... Not all of it, of course ... try Tassie, for instance.

It's true, we do have **** off big spiders and snakes, around here, anyway

Germany - No ... and I speak some German
Canada - Looks alright but never appealed
Australia - Knocked up an Aussie, there seem to be worse places to live
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the South of Germany is by far the best place to live. Berlin is nice to visit but the city is poor and if you live here after a while it gets to you. Bavaria is doing much better economically and in integrating foreigners and teaching children in school. There is a huge difference. If I would stay in Germany (which i won't) I would leave Berlin and move South.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Bayern : long , cold winters and the summers can get stiflingly hot ?
Why not consider somewhere more temperate : Frankfurt , Karlsruhe , Cologne , Mannheim , Duesseldorf ...?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray51
Bayern : long , cold winters and the summers can get stiflingly hot ?
Why not consider somewhere more temperate : Frankfurt , Karlsruhe , Cologne , Mannheim , Duesseldorf ...?
Yes Ray..tell them as it is...I'm from around Düsseldorf my self can only agree
Düsseldorf it self is a very nice city with the Rhine going right through and brilliant night live in the Altstadt/oldtown..how much I miss to drink a Altbier.
Moderate winters and summers.

I live in London myself at the moment, but we are going to move to Somerset next year which is absolutely wonderful. Especial after living in London, but the point is, nobody can make your mind up were to live, it totally depends on yourself and on what you like.

I have lived in differed country's so far and found Belgium the worst ever to live in, but know people who are absolutely happy to live there.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

E.g. : myself !!!
( Then again : I live in a good part of cosmopolitan , enlightened , tolerant , safe , sophisticated , connoisseur Brussels of chic and joie-de-vivre ;
if it had to be the restricted Flaanderen or some other boring-est pits , I'd have left here , years' ago ! )
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray51
E.g. : myself !!!
( Then again : I live in a good part of cosmopolitan , enlightened , tolerant , safe , sophisticated , connoisseur Brussels of chic and joie-de-vivre ;
if it had to be the restricted Flaanderen or some other boring-est pits , I'd have left here , years' ago ! )
You mean like Mons

I'm sooo happy that hubby took the job in Somerset..still with Nato.
He had 2 other offers both better paid because outside the country, one in Norfolk Virginia..boy they really wanted him, even the boss phoned me up and a job in shape again, he was really keen on taking because it was a step up and the job security in shape is very good, but I was having non of it and put my foot down this time..
The only stupid thing is that me and the girls have to stay until next summer here until our oldest done here GCSE and he has to start already his new job in September. Its just impossible to change school during GCSE because she is half through.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

I know how you feel EuroTramp, my husband was offered a top job in Canada, we even chose a house out there, the money would have been amazing, but in the end we said no, we wanted to stay in Bavaria. The five years in Holland, at a third more salary, were five long years. People couldnt believe that we could swap that for life back here.
Hubby got offered a job with SHAPE once. Now we are retired so any move will be by choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.