British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   I need help to move to Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/i-need-help-move-germany-903037/)

LewisDastur Sep 7th 2017 1:54 pm

I need help to move to Germany

I am a young British aircraft engineer that is due to move to Germany for a new job in November with my partner and wondered if anyone could give me any tips to make the move as smooth as possible.

My new employer is sorting out my accommodation but I am struggling to find helpful information on things like car insurance and if I have to buy a German car or can I get a left hand drive car from a neighbouring country. I don't know if I'll need a German bank account, and if I'll need to inform the government in the U.K. and Germany about my move.

Any information would be massively appreciated as I'll be honest I have no idea what I'm doing haha.

scrubbedexpat0105 Sep 7th 2017 3:30 pm

Re: I need help to move to Germany

You can import a car, from the UK (whether your own or not), or a car bought in a third country, or you can buy a car there. The import process is however hassle and you'll probably have enough on your plate. It's probably easier to buy a car in Germany, though it has to be said that used car prices in Germany are appreciably higher than in the UK (at least for the older cars in my price range!).

It will at best be very inconvenient not to have a German bank account That's no problem though; open an account with a German bank when you get there.

To the best of my knowledge you don't need to inform the UK government that you've left. There may be other parties that you should inform, e.g. your GP.

You register with the local German authorities (Einwohnermeldeamt, town hall) when you've moved into your accommodation. Do it promptly.

Most important tip: learn German, even though it may seem that you don't need it.

mikelincs Sep 7th 2017 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Watchpost (Post 12333315)
You can import a car, from the UK (whether your own or not), or a car bought in a third country, or you can buy a car there. The import process is however hassle and you'll probably have enough on your plate. It's probably easier to buy a car in Germany, though it has to be said that used car prices in Germany are appreciably higher than in the UK (at least for the older cars in my price range!).

It will at best be very inconvenient not to have a German bank account That's no problem though; open an account with a German bank when you get there.

To the best of my knowledge you don't need to inform the UK government that you've left. There may be other parties that you should inform, e.g. your GP.

You register with the local German authorities (Einwohnermeldeamt, town hall) when you've moved into your accommodation. Do it promptly.

Most important tip: learn German, even though it may seem that you don't need it.

There is a form you should fill out to tell HMRC that you are no longer in the UK, you may be due some tax back.

Tweedpipe Sep 7th 2017 9:37 pm

Is your new employer UK or Germany based? In your line of work it was usual that a UK based aircraft or engine manufacturer frequently offered reasonably generous packages, including accomodation, car etc. If Germany based, this may not be the case, but I would expect your new company to have an active human resource group who should be capable of advising you on the issues you query.
I still have work colleagues in the same industry in Hamburg & Munich whom I occasonally visit, and their administrative issues are all dealt with via an active HR group.
Good luck with your new job.

dzabski Nov 3rd 2017 7:47 pm

HI, If you want to take your care you can have it insured in the UK. usually the UK insurance stays valid while abroad for 3 months than you need to go back. All depends on the insurance company.

BritInParis Nov 3rd 2017 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12333337)
There is a form you should fill out to tell HMRC that you are no longer in the UK, you may be due some tax back.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tax-right-p85