Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greener"?

I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greener"?

Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

tsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nice
Default Re: I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greene

Originally Posted by Assanah
Hahahaha, right. Germans are not rude by German standards but they are rude if you use Bitish standards. I agree with that. However, you are even rude by German standards.
well, i dont think that more rude people actually exist so its pretty much your patent its difficult to take some of your own medicine though, innit
i am a brilliant student ya know, have some veeery good teachers too, lol

last time repeating - i have a lot of fun with my collegues an our consultants, they r german. i simply described the mentality of the locals. There are sure some of them who are a bit better, or might be me, slowly anglcising my nurses with some english Süßigkeiten
anyway, moving from the UK to Germany is gonna be quite the shock for anybody used to the english politeness and loads of "sorry", "thank you" and the whole smiling stuff.

they have good and very cheap beer though - so if you cant cope, drink! so, when i rethink it now, it may actually sound as a good idea... getting depressed in the UK and with those prices of the alcohol... hehe

Sue, thank you for the remark. Have prepared the peace pipe for my german future best friend am also willing to get him a pint if he lives somewhere around Dusseldorf/Cologne.
I did not attack the girl on her written english though, i simply told her that if she wants to get what she wants, she must speak/write properly. this is a "must do" anywhere she goes, egal which country, if she wants to have the chance to communicate with intelligent people or study there.

i am very tankful for your patience guys, that's what makes me love your country and your language, but without the corresponding english language proficiency she will have a limited access to better jobs/education in the UK and all this could potentially offer her.

peace

Last edited by tsveti; Feb 7th 2011 at 4:22 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 6:18 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greene

Hey everyone,

Slighty off-topic here, but can anyone help this member out with their question?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:26 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=xxxmarinaxxx;9152149]
Originally Posted by Pepa
Hi,

I am originally from Eastern Europe too. Have been livng in England for about 5 years now too And I am absolutely agree with you. I have got the same thoughts about England. I dislike this country so much. i HAVE BEEN WORKING IN ADMIN JOB BUT I HAVE GOT UNIVERSITY DEGREE FROM MY COUNTRY. But they dont count it . I attend interviews but got nothing back i have got a big experience though in working for Leeds City Council. But most employers preffer english people rather than us eastern europeans. Country is in a big crisis.
I think people need to be a bit more appreciative of actually having a job. Ive been in unemployed hell for quite a while now. It doesnt matter what country you go to, the locals are always gonna get preference over immigrants, this isnt an English thing.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

crazygerman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am a german guy, having been born here and lived my live for 50 years in that country. And I am getting tired of it....for a lot of reasons.

It depends (as everywhere in the world) what you expect to find. Without a job, some relatives or friends, I would never leave to go here or elsewhere.

I don't agree that "we" are generally just rude, unfriendly people. We have our mentality, it differs regional, and we have some polite, friendly characters too (here is one of them;-)).

Germany has changed, due to economical reasons but also for (some strange to me) potitical debates concerning "multicultural society", immigration and all that. We still seem to have a real problem inside our own society after the reunion of the two parts of germany.

I believe that UK, especially in London, people are more openminded due to a long history of colonialism. OK, that does not help one individual person.

Well, that is, in a few short words, my opinion. I don't believe that you would enjoy Germany more than UK.

Take care
crazygerman
Old Feb 14th 2011, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Stevenn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pepa,

After reading your post I was touched enough to give this reply.

I think something that some are missing in what you said relates to where exactly you are/were located in the UK. I, too, lived in West Yorks, as a student and found it pretty tough going. I now live in a Welsh valley, which is staunchly working-class, and yet there is time enough for culture - especially music and film -, family, respect for older persons, less about manners, more about genuine warmth... and so on. This is quite missing in much of England. The thing you have to understand in order to get clear about the English is the our class system, which permeates just about every fabric of the personal and the social. It was insightful of you to say that there is no real desire for self-improvement here, because for many education beyond schooling has never been so much as talked about at home. As the first person in my family to go to university, all I can say is that university or college was never mentioned to me during my entire school life. I went to Uni a few years after as a mature student. I find it fascinating that those who do not empathize with you, are themselves foreign to the UK. They should go and try living in Wakefield for a few years, and see how they get on! To me, living in that area was not unlike relocating abroad, only with none of the perks, and all of the vices! My advice to you - for what it is worth - is to relocate to another area of the UK, where you already know people or where you can set up contacts with others before you go. Alternatively, night classes are a great way of enhancing your social life, where the common bond has more to do with a particular interest or skill, that it does downing as many shots of multicoloured alcohol you can manage

Places people usually like: Bristol
Oxford
Swansea (where I am, though it's not great on employment)
York (up north)
Brighton (Everyone likes Brighton ...for about a year. (Free and easy, but ultimately superficial)
Cardiff

Finally, I myself am moving to Germany soon. What I have heard about it, from both ex-pats and Germans, and notwithstanding the fact that - at least until a few months back - you're pretty raw about everything, makes me feel that it would be better to play safe, for now, and try out somewhere else in the UK. I'm getting the impression its going to be tough for me! Best wishes.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

tsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stevenn
Hi Pepa,

After reading your post I was touched enough to give this reply.

I think something that some are missing in what you said relates to where exactly you are/were located in the UK. I, too, lived in West Yorks, as a student and found it pretty tough going. I now live in a Welsh valley, which is staunchly working-class, and yet there is time enough for culture - especially music and film -, family, respect for older persons, less about manners, more about genuine warmth... and so on. This is quite missing in much of England. The thing you have to understand in order to get clear about the English is the our class system, which permeates just about every fabric of the personal and the social. It was insightful of you to say that there is no real desire for self-improvement here, because for many education beyond schooling has never been so much as talked about at home. As the first person in my family to go to university, all I can say is that university or college was never mentioned to me during my entire school life. I went to Uni a few years after as a mature student. I find it fascinating that those who do not empathize with you, are themselves foreign to the UK. They should go and try living in Wakefield for a few years, and see how they get on! To me, living in that area was not unlike relocating abroad, only with none of the perks, and all of the vices! My advice to you - for what it is worth - is to relocate to another area of the UK, where you already know people or where you can set up contacts with others before you go. Alternatively, night classes are a great way of enhancing your social life, where the common bond has more to do with a particular interest or skill, that it does downing as many shots of multicoloured alcohol you can manage

Places people usually like: Bristol
Oxford
Swansea (where I am, though it's not great on employment)
York (up north)
Brighton (Everyone likes Brighton ...for about a year. (Free and easy, but ultimately superficial)
Cardiff

Finally, I myself am moving to Germany soon. What I have heard about it, from both ex-pats and Germans, and notwithstanding the fact that - at least until a few months back - you're pretty raw about everything, makes me feel that it would be better to play safe, for now, and try out somewhere else in the UK. I'm getting the impression its going to be tough for me! Best wishes.
which part of Germany are you moving to?
just out of curiosity - why did you chose Germay before Spain for example, where most of the english prefer moving to?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tsveti
which part of Germany are you moving to?
just out of curiosity - why did you chose Germay before Spain for example, where most of the english prefer moving to?
First of all, I need a research language, and German fits the bill nicely, second, many of the things I like are either in the German language or translations from it, third, my subject is philosophy so I wanted to go to Frieburg (or if not Heidelburg) - Heidegger and Husserl held a seat there - get involved in the intellectual life around the city, etc. whilst getting a crappy job to support myself, at first - I am/have been a TEFL teacher (Celta certified), so private language tuition would be a possibility later on; I really don't want to work in a Lang. School, though.
Have been finding out that there are few jobs in Frieburg, so I'm going to post a thread soon asking for advice. Do you think I could get a crappy job on arrival - something that the locals wouldn't do, until I make enough contacts to begin private tuition, and meet other like-minded people at the university? etc.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

In bigger cities there is often a bar that employs English speakers only. It is usually a meeting place for all English speaking expats and Germans that want to practise their language skills - that might be the hard bit of the job. My Irish friend used to call Germans that wanted to practise their terrible English with him "language vampires". Be forewarned

In Berlin

Maybe that is something in Freiburg

Last edited by Assanah; Feb 15th 2011 at 6:57 am.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the Isle of Guinness free, that would be a nice place to live.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Assanah
In bigger cities there is often a bar that employs English speakers only. It is usually a meeting place for all English speaking expats and Germans that want to practise their language skills - that might be the hard bit of the job. My Irish friend used to call Germans that wanted to practise their terrible English with him "language vampires". Be forewarned

In Berlin

Maybe that is something in Freiburg
Cheers for that,

I'm was kind of hoping that going to Germany would rid me of my fellow British drunks for some time! It's nice, though, to see that Germans are interested in this sort of thing, because I might - through their terrible English - get some sort of insight into their own culture. In any case, if their English is terrible, my German is practically radioactive.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for that,

I'm was kind of hoping that going to Germany would rid me of my fellow British drunks for some time! It's nice, though, to see that Germans are interested in this sort of thing, because I might - through their terrible English - get some sort of insight into their own culture. In any case, if their English is terrible, my German is practically radioactive.
haha, i can still not explain myself why the english consider themselves the worst drunks ever, when i have never seen as many alcoholics, incl. epileptic seisures due to alcohol-withdrawal or even alcoholic dementia as in germany. sorry guys, you cant compete to the germans ur problem is that u drink without eating anything and u drop under the table after 2-3 pints. they cant live on 3-4 pints, some of my patients have been on at least 10 beers per day and 2 boxes of cigarettes for the last 20 yrs...

well, Freiburg is famous with its medical university, no idea about the rest.
i can bet you can get urself a job at Berlitz - the language schools. they would be very happy to have u as a native english speaker, u dont need to be a professional teacher, they will train you anyway. give it a try if u are in an urgent need of job. i think my teacher in german said they paid her 14 euros per hour, but this was 3 yrs ago. its not perfect but it is still smth till u manage to get urself some private students or get urself a better job.
but to be honest i dont know southern germany that well, search a bit more before you move to Freiburg.

regarding ur radioactive german - i had only 4 months to learn german from a scratch before i started working and speaking english was what saved me poor ass then. german and english are in the same language group, i am sure u will manage to learn the language quickly, the grammar is a bit more difficult, but keep on practising in every possible occasion, nevermind the mistakes, am sure u will make it

Last edited by tsveti; Feb 15th 2011 at 9:32 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that,

Freiburg is a lovely place. You'd find it fairly easy to get an EFLT job there I'd think. The other suggestion of bar-person in a fake Oirish pub means you'd have to learn that accent as well as German.

Given your expertise, you'd probably take that philosophically.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

ZAfrikaner is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greene

I'm a South African of Dutch/German/Scottish descent and I have been living in the England for the last 7 years.

My experience of living in the UK has made me realise I do not want to spend the rest of my life living here. I don't mean that in a bad way. Every country has it's ups and downs but seriously I can't stand the weather!!! This rain is just killing me!

Not saying Germany is any better, but at least in Germany you get colder winters and warmer summers. In Germany at least it's cold enough in the winter for snow so you know it's winter! I can't handle this rain, day in and day out... rather give me snow or sunshine or snow and sunshine but not rain!

So is the weather the only reason I'm moving to Germany??? Certainly not!

I also have to agree with the original poster that the UK has a binge drinking/ chav culture which seems to be less common on the continent than the UK. This makes going out in "some" city centres at night a bit uncomfortable. Take note I say "some city centres"... I'm sure there are plenty of smaller towns where one feels perfectly safe at night. So if I was the original poster I would not move to Germany just because of some chavs.

Saying all that, I certainly don't feel the Continent or Germany in this regard is all sunshine and roses. No country in the world is perfect. At the end of the day... TRUE HAPINESS comes from inside. I have lived in a few countries now and I can honestly say... you have to make yourself feel happy, not the country. At the end of the day it's you moving to another country and you have to adapt to their way of life. I have always enjoyed my stay in England and even though it's not sunshine and roses, I have done my best to integrate, met new friends and enjoyed all the good things England had to offer (which of course included a few good nights out with friends).

I have honestly enjoyed my time living in the UK, there were many things I liked and have met many new friends but it's now time to move on for many personal reasons.. including my partner being German and also the fact that I can speak fluent German, being of German descent and still having German family in Germany.

Here are some things I like about Germany.

1)Germany is greener... not only the countryside but also when it comes to recycling. I love a country that looks after its envirmonet and I would have to say Germany is miles ahead when it comes to being green compared to the UK.

2) The food taste better.. Of all countries I have been to I have to admit the food in the UK is certainly not the best. Yes, of course you get wonderful food and yes of course not all food in Germany taste better but I think on average the German food just taste better to my liking.

3) The Autobahn. The idea of driving as fast as you like on the Autobahn is a big plus point for me.

4) My German family love them to bits!!

I would also NEVER move to GERMANY if I couldn't speak the language. If you can't understand the German language, believe me you miss out on the whole culture! No one can ever say they understand German people until you can understand the German language. By knowing the German language you get to know the real German culture. Also many older people speak no English in Germany, by living in Germany without knowing German you would be missing out on so much.

I personally feel and think my friends in the UK would find it so hard moving to Germany just simply because they can't speak any other language than English!

Sure you can live in Germany only knowing English but I would say you would feel empty and left out in about 90% of the time. Therefore I'm very thankful my ancestors (The Boers) stop the English from colonising the whole of South Africa completely... because otherwise South Africa would have ended up just like America with just one language and I would have lost my Dutch/ German culture completely and just become another monoglot English speaker. I love the fact that I can switch between these languages whenever I feel like it. I still don't understand why people in England still struggle to speak basic French or German after taking it for years in schools? Something is definately wrong with they way foreign languages are taught in English schools.

So to sum it all up....I think the grass is not always greener on the other side but it's what you make of it!

Last edited by ZAfrikaner; Feb 15th 2011 at 11:16 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tsveti
haha, i can still not explain myself why the english consider themselves the worst drunks ever, when i have never seen as many alcoholics, incl. epileptic seisures due to alcohol-withdrawal or even alcoholic dementia as in germany. sorry guys, you cant compete to the germans ur problem is that u drink without eating anything and u drop under the table after 2-3 pints. they cant live on 3-4 pints, some of my patients have been on at least 10 beers per day and 2 boxes of cigarettes for the last 20 yrs...

well, Freiburg is famous with its medical university, no idea about the rest.
i can bet you can get urself a job at Berlitz - the language schools. they would be very happy to have u as a native english speaker, u dont need to be a professional teacher, they will train you anyway. give it a try if u are in an urgent need of job. i think my teacher in german said they paid her 14 euros per hour, but this was 3 yrs ago. its not perfect but it is still smth till u manage to get urself some private students or get urself a better job.
but to be honest i dont know southern germany that well, search a bit more before you move to Freiburg.

regarding ur radioactive german - i had only 4 months to learn german from a scratch before i started working and speaking english was what saved me poor ass then. german and english are in the same language group, i am sure u will manage to learn the language quickly, the grammar is a bit more difficult, but keep on practising in every possible occasion, nevermind the mistakes, am sure u will make it

It's absolutely true, only you might have missed the part when they're also downing 11 shots of killer absinthe, which has been made to look like toothpaste. We may not be the "drunkest drunks" about, but hey, surely we're the most violent Oh, the joys of a Saturday night in any one of our towns or cities.
Did you know that a few weeks ago our police were handing out free flip-flops/plastic sandals (on public money) so that sloshed women in towering high-heels, wouldn't totter across some drain and break their necks. Staggering.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

It's absolutely true, only you might have missed the part when they're also downing 11 shots of killer absinthe, which has been made to look like toothpaste. We may not be the "drunkest drunks" about, but hey, surely we're the most violent Oh, the joys of a Saturday night in any one of our towns or cities.
Did you know that a few weeks ago our police were handing out free flip-flops/plastic sandals (on public money) so that sloshed women in towering high-heels, wouldn't totter across some drain and break their necks. Staggering.
haha, havent heard of the flip-flops Ausgabe
well, as i said - if you eat smth, its not gonna be that bad
but u r right, u r a bit more violent, altho' i just find you funnier and a nicer company when it comes to going out for a drink. ur crazyness is ur biggest charm, i love it
the germans r chronic drunks - a lot and over long time, every day + they have the sausages u know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.