Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greener"?

I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greener"?

Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greene

Having now lived on 4/5 different continents ,
I can't hep , but to feeel really , really , really sorry for some 89% of residents of England ,
especially : those older ones amongst is ,
as as it currently is ( in that heartless , emotionless , empty , hearttless , money-grabbbing , unscroupolous , fraudulent land , and rotten-totally-as it , IMHO , it today stands , in world's percepeption/s !
Please , do feel free to correct me , if you can see/feel/intelectaulise any reason/s to do so , anyone sane !?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

tsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nice
Default Re: I am tired of England..Thinking of Germany, but isnt the case of "grass is greene

well,if you are that much dissapointed of england, i would highly recommend that you never move to germany.

i am an eastern european myself and am speaking of my own experience.

i read your huge 1st thread and can tell the following:
1. can you swear with a hand on your heart that the people in you country (Poland i suppose) are better in terms of education and determination?
I really doubt that, might have been better before, but it is pretty much the same in Poland now regarding level of intelligence and motivation to go to the university.
2. did you expect to meet highly skilled, intelligent and motivated people, if you work as a unskilled yourself? You wont meet them there, i can garantee you that. and THERE ARE such intellgent and highly-skilled people in england.
3. you write with terrible mistakes in english and you are crying out loud about the stupidity of the english???
4. your situation is called "maladaptation syndrome". moving to a country with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT mentality and expecting them to act like you is naive. As you are the one who have moved to their country, it is clear who is supposed to adapt!
5. at the beginning i thought that the english are hypocritical as well. After few years abroad /few in the UK and few in Germany/ i realised that it was not them, but me and my expectations which brought me so much negative experience back then. For them this is the right behaviour, cos this is the model of behaviour they are taught of at home. said in another words: this is the english way. its not hypocricy. its just different. and i personally now highly appreciate it, especially since i moved to germany and have to work with rude and aggressive people /germans/ every day.
so, if you realise that this is THEIR WAY, and dont expect from them smth which you had at home, you wont be disappointed. stop expecting them to act as smth they aren't and just accept them. it is NOT your country, it is therefore no surprise that they are different.
6.well, improve your english, go to university there /i am currently doing my second degree in the UK whilst working in Germany/, stay motivated and you will see its gonna be different. until this happens, stop whining and accept them for what and who they are. Can you blame them for the fact that you have moved to a country which u know nothing about? Nothing about their education system, or acknowledgement of your foreign degree and etc.???
did you expect them to roll the red carpet before your feet and hand you an english diploma?? pinch yourself an get connected to the reality mate!

7. immigration is not for everybody. it is about adjusting to the new environment all the time. to a different mentality, to different manners, different culture. if you cant or do not wish to do this, well, i dont mean to be rude, but - better go home.

Cos if you come to germany your next thread may be "i want to kill myself"
the germans are, after the french, the least tolerant people. Speaking the language with an accent is enough to make them completely ignore you or reduce you to the point you start thinking that you are a complete idiot. the rudest and passive-aggressive people i have ever met! no tolerance, no patience, no acceptance to anybody/anything different than them. which makes learning their language a real struggle, cos you simply start hating it cos of the people. terrible gossipers, very limited thinking, absolutely not correct and way not punctual or perfect...
i actually cant name a single positive quality that they have...
people with an absolutely disgusting mentality
but i have to put up with them for few more years till i pass the speciality exam and return back to the UK, am counting the days!!!

sorry, i dont sound that positive, but you wrote you hated people who werent telling you what they thought...

Last edited by tsveti; Feb 5th 2011 at 5:40 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tsveti
3. you write with terrible mistakes in english and you are crying out loud about the stupidity of the english???
Originally Posted by Ray51
I can't hep , but to feeel really , really , really sorry for some 89% of residents of England ,
especially : those older ones amongst is ,
as as it currently is ( in that heartless , emotionless , empty , hearttless , money-grabbbing , unscroupolous , fraudulent land , and rotten-totally-as it , IMHO , it today stands , in world's percepeption/s !
Please , do feel free to correct me , if you can see/feel/intelectaulise any reason/s to do so , anyone sane !?
Oh, the irony.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

N.B.
Much ( good ) knowledge can be gathered , even from some seemingly a-priori unfriendly postings and responses !
Use this to your own & best advantage , if U can ;
if NOT : by any & all means , do move on ,
e.g. the civilised , functional , clean , healthy , Engleeesh-speaking ( well : sort-of !? anyway ! ) sheep-rich ( and with some thoroughly drinkable wine/s , to boot ! ) New Zealand is most unlikely to have a nuclear war or any dioxine-infestation ,
nor ever to claim a a highly-regarded , feted by the Queen of England , President like the one ( Zulu ) Jacob Zuma , who claims it to be his manly responsibility to :
a ) rape ( unpunishedly ! ) those women , he can get his private parts onto/into and
b ) then take a nice shower thereafter , which ( he says ) guarantees him to remain AIDS' free !
There U have it , my 2 overvalued EUrocents' worth , for this early Sunday a.m. !
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:04 am
Just Joined

onlyfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

everything you say seems absolutely right, tsveti, including your views about the Germans. I myself, a Brit through and through, have led a completely wasted life here in Berlin but the details I can´t recount here, they are too, for me, tragic. Never come to Germany, anyone!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlyfamily
everything you say seems absolutely right, tsveti, including your views about the Germans. I myself, a Brit through and through, have led a completely wasted life here in Berlin but the details I can´t recount here, they are too, for me, tragic. Never come to Germany, anyone!
I am German and I think that living in Berlin isn't great. I am leaving Berlin very soon. However, Berlin isn't Germany. There is a huge difference in the standard of living between Berlin and let's say Munich. I like Britain a lot, lived in Lancaster for a while and would move to britain in a heartbeat - I don't like Berlin but know a lot of people that loooooove Berlin.
It really depends on the individual which country or city fits
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

5. at the beginning i thought that the english are hypocritical as well. After few years abroad /few in the UK and few in Germany/ i realised that it was not them, but me and my expectations which brought me so much negative experience back then. For them this is the right behaviour, cos this is the model of behaviour they are taught of at home. said in another words: this is the english way. its not hypocricy. its just different. and i personally now highly appreciate it, especially since i moved to germany and have to work with rude and aggressive people /germans/ every day.
so, if you realise that this is THEIR WAY, and dont expect from them smth which you had at home, you wont be disappointed. stop expecting them to act as smth they aren't and just accept them. it is NOT your country, it is therefore no surprise that they are different.
Funny that you can't transfer this wisdom onto your experience in Germany . Germans are not rude and aggressive. They behave like Germans behave. It is THEIR way of communcating. And if you can't adapt please just leave and don't be rude and aggressive and slander a whole country
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

tsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nice

Originally Posted by Assanah
Funny that you can't transfer this wisdom onto your experience in Germany . Germans are not rude and aggressive. They behave like Germans behave. It is THEIR way of communcating. And if you can't adapt please just leave and don't be rude and aggressive and slander a whole country
exactly
but i havent started a thread in an online forum whining about how bad they are, have i??
i have found a way to get to terms with these people and if i am telling this girl what i think about them it is to save her some even bigger disappointment.
it does not mean it didnt cost me any efforts though!
i have not forgotten that coming here was my own decision and neither have i forgotten that it is just for a while. still, you wont hear/read me whining about it in forums or not even to my friends.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

exactly
but i havent started a thread in an online forum whining about how bad they are, have i??
i have found a way to get to terms with these people and if i am telling this girl what i think about them it is to save her some even bigger disappointment.
it does not mean it didnt cost me any efforts though!
i have not forgotten that coming here was my own decision and neither have i forgotten that it is just for a while. still, you wont hear/read me whining about it in forums or not even to my friends.
I wouldn't call what you posted earlier "whining", I would call it a diatribe. May I sum up what you said:

rude and aggressive
after the French the least tolerant people
rudest and passive-aggresive people
no tolerance (ok, you get repetitive here)
no patience
no acceptance of anybody/anything different
terrible gossipers
very limited thinking
absolutely not correct
not punctual or perfect
no positive qualities
absolutely disgusting mentality

Are you talking about yourself or about 80 million people? Who do you meet in Germany? Individual human beings or clones?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

I wouldn't call what you posted earlier "whining", I would call it a diatribe. May I sum up what you said:

rude and aggressive
after the French the least tolerant people
rudest and passive-aggresive people
no tolerance (ok, you get repetitive here)
no patience
no acceptance of anybody/anything different
terrible gossipers
very limited thinking
absolutely not correct
not punctual or perfect
no positive qualities
absolutely disgusting mentality

Are you talking about yourself or about 80 million people? Who do you meet in Germany? Individual human beings or clones?
do i lie?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

do i lie?
I'm sure you don't think so.

I lived in Germany for 8 years and managed quite nicely with the locals, thank you.

You say all the right things about adapting to local culture as an immigrant, but you clearly don't practice what you preach.

Leb' wohl.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

do i lie?
I think that you should stop making judgements and start meeting people. I lived in several countries and I never ever had the problems you have- not even with my absolutely disgusting, passive-agressive, intolerant mentality and very limited thinking.

Last edited by Assanah; Feb 7th 2011 at 8:03 am.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

I think that you should stop making judgements and start meeting people. I lived in several countries and I never ever had the problems you have- not even with my absolutely disgusting, passive-agressive, intolerant mentality and very limited thinking.
i knew you were german
i could tell from your reaction, which just confirmed what i wrote about you people

let me get this straight - just cos i describe your mentality as such, does not mean that i have not found a way to adapt and managed mit meinen Kollegen umzugehen! i have nothing to complain about, i am not moaning about it. i just explained to this confused girl, why moving to germany after being so disappointed from the UK is gonna be a disaster, and i said it straight, no nice words to twist it with. some other people who wrote in the thread also gently mentioned your rude attitude, they simply didnt say it as directly as i did. which, of course annoyed you and made you react in a typical german low-self-esteem, aggressive and intollerant way. compare the reaction of the english in a thread which is practically a complaint about what they are and their country, and see how you reacted on my comment about the germans and make the conclusion yourself i can also accept a constructive criticism about what the people in my country are, cos i know it is true and i have no problem to confess it.

but as i said, i personaly have no problem working here, but would rather not have my children going to a german kindergarten and learning that this particular behaviour of yours is normal. cos it is not, which is the reason i am going back to the UK as soon as the circumstances allow it, i.e. my Weiterbildung is done.

did you understand what i mean or you still dont get it?

of course you have no problems abroad, we all have an idea what the germans are like, nobody wants to get involved in interpersonal problems and to avoid that we simply tolerate you . i especially like the opinion of the danes and the dutch, who know your mentality pretty well, as you are neighbours, haha

Last edited by tsveti; Feb 7th 2011 at 2:16 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hahahaha, right. Germans are not rude by German standards but they are rude if you use Bitish standards. I agree with that. However, you are even rude by German standards.

Last edited by Assanah; Feb 7th 2011 at 2:45 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone, let's not get into a slanging match. Everyone has different experiences and it doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong, just that we all walk different paths.

I lived in Germany for four years in the late 80's and early 90's so can't comment on what life is like there now, but I enjoyed my time there and in no way did I find Germans rude or unwelcoming. However I know my experiences are not recent and may not apply to everyone.

Generalizing about a whole nationality because of one's bad experience is probably not the best way to go.

Bottom line, share experiences by all means, but don't attack another poster's experiences, or language/writing skills, just because they are different to your own.

R E S P E C T

Thanks

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.