Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

How do you like Berlin ?

How do you like Berlin ?

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Europe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you like Berlin ?

Apart from the weather, Berlin is a great city. Low cost of living, means of transport are consistent even during the winder with lots of snow, variety of Restaurants - some great Greek and Italian ones- and full of artistic venues !!

The only thing would be some indications that Germans do not get along with certain minorities for instance, I've heard they treat differently the ones who speak English than the ones who don't !!

So what do you believe ?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:11 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you like Berlin ?

Hi,
my Anglo-French daughters both live in Berlin and love it. They live in a district full of Turkish shops/restaurants and have no problem with any one, but then they both speak relatively fluent German (with a French accent!).
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

I understand the Brits , the Irish , the Skandies and the Dutch ( as well as the Austrians , obviously ) are Very Welcome , the Italians usually are O.K. , the Swiss somewhat less so , the Croats are fine , whereas some other Balkans's emigrants are often treated with more suspicion than the Turks , even .
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Europe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray51
I understand the Brits , the Irish , the Skandies and the Dutch ( as well as the Austrians , obviously ) are Very Welcome , the Italians usually are O.K. , the Swiss somewhat less so , the Croats are fine , whereas some other Balkans's emigrants are often treated with more suspicion than the Turks , even .
I am not really certain about Balkans but from what I have seen and read the minorities from Middle East are treated worst.Unfortunately the issue with the Turks seems quite insolvable it is said both sides need to act in order to reach a compromise !!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Europe
Apart from the weather, Berlin is a great city. Low cost of living, means of transport are consistent even during the winder with lots of snow, variety of Restaurants - some great Greek and Italian ones- and full of artistic venues !!

The only thing would be some indications that Germans do not get along with certain minorities for instance, I've heard they treat differently the ones who speak English than the ones who don't !!

So what do you believe ?
I know several people that have been driven out of Neukölln by the "minorities". For example, a German family whose sons were beaten up by the Turks because they wouldn't do as they were told and an Israeli transvestite (do I need to say more?). Does that count too. Or are these stories only acceptabel when Germans are the evil ones?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:50 am
Just Joined

blackrabbitz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Europe

So what do you believe ?
I love berlin and love the life style and arts and culture here but
you are right there are some minorities that can't feel at home which makes me sad..
Old Oct 14th 2011, 1:11 pm
Banned

laminar is an unknown quantity at this point

Lived there for six months. Neukolln, Prenzelberg. And had a great time.

Learn some German. Not necessary, but appreciated.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:54 pm
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

I would say there is almost always issues between cultures in a city setting with language barriers, and Berlin or Germany in general is no different.

Personally, I found it fairly easy to get along in Berlin even though I didn't speak German, but I was not a visible minority so I can't say I know how it is from that stand point.

As with being in any country with a foreign language, it's always going to be easier to integrate if you know the language. Germans definitely appreciate the difference.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

sonny Hayes is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the city but it is dirty and gritty. It is very, very mixed and there are issues with minorities, I imagine that a general "Left" leaning is the norm though. I don't know a city that is better culturally or has such an undercurrent of energy. It is very cheap to live here compared with most cities in Europe and also more exciting.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:46 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonny Hayes
I love the city but it is dirty and gritty. It is very, very mixed and there are issues with minorities, I imagine that a general "Left" leaning is the norm though. I don't know a city that is better culturally or has such an undercurrent of energy. It is very cheap to live here compared with most cities in Europe and also more exciting.
Could you get by in Berlin with limited German?
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Berliner U-Bahn stories