Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Hello. New here and have a question

Hello. New here and have a question

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

mrfungi84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello. New here and have a question

Hi! Question I have is something that has bugged me for a long time and haven't been able to find any information on (or just didnt look in the right places!) so here goes...

My mother was born in Hannover, Germany in 1951 (Federal Republic) on a British Army base. My grandfather was in the Irish Guards and stationed there after WWII. My grandmother was also Irish.

I was born in England 1984.

If I wanted to, could I apply for german citizenship/nationality based on my mothers place of birth?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello. New here and have a question

In a word, no. Your mother would not only have had to have been entitled to citizenship, but would actually have had to have acquired it in order to pass it on to you. (Had she acquired it, you would be entitled to it.) And in fact she wouldn't even have been entitled to apply for citizenship herself on that basis, since Germany didn't introduce a right to citizenship by virtue of being born here (ius soli) until 2000.

An entitlement to Irish citizenship sounds more promising, though I gather the Irish have tightened up their citizenship legislation in the last few years.

At least the question need no longer bug you.